Only I don't have anything from GFI installed!
Running Vista with all current updates; AVG; AdAware; no firewall. It's a desktop with 6GB RAM and a terabyte HD.
Recently I installed SeaMonkey (since removed), some games off GoG.com (a paid game provider sort of like Steam, only without the overlord approach), Thunderbird, and possibly one other app (legit) that I can't recall off the top of my head. Also the update from AVG 2011 to 2012, and I accidentally got the 30-day "free trial" version instead of the "free" version (VERY annoying!). Also updated AdAware. I can't think of anything else new I've added to the computer. I removed all old versions of JAVA and installed the new versions (both 32 and 64 bit as I have apps that need each). To the best of my knowledge I deselected any leechware that was attached to anything I installed. (I define leechware to include anything packaged with legit software that isn't actually part of that software - stuff like versions of virus scanners like McAfree, all those toolbar thingies, stuff that wants to change your default search engine - even if it comes from a legit source, if its not part of what I'm installing its leechware)
There was some kind of registry checking software that ended up on my desktop, I only noticed it when I accidentally clicked on it and opened it and it started running. That did say GFI on it but I cancelled it as soon as it started running and immediately went to the Add/Remove programs thing (whatever they call it under Vista) and uninstalled it. However I continue to get these "GFI failed" messages.
There's nothing in the processes list of the task manager labeled GFI. I was getting these failure messages before uninstalling the registry checker labeled GFI but only rarely and it was not affecting the actual operation of the PC. Now the system boots noticeably more slowly, things hang, I can't keep an internet connection for more than a few minutes (when checked with the Windows repair utility it tells me there's nothing wrong yet I can't get out on it). After about 5 or 10 minutes, I get the GFI FAILED notification, the internet is fried at that point, but as long as I stay off the internet things seem to be OK. Dropbox still seems to work; but my MOG app (internet Radio) fails, Spotify (another internet radio) seems to work at least for awhile, and if it was started before the crash, uTorrent can download a file (I have not been downloading torrents nor have I opened a file downloaded in this way but I did run that just to check since Dropbox seems unaffected). Both Chrome and Firefox seem to be blocked however. (I have Ghostery, BetterPrivacy, and Adaware installed).
At first I assumed GFI had come as leechware with one of my recent legit software installations but looking around their website I didn't see any signs of a stand-alone registry checker, and their only "free trial" version is a business version - not the kind of thing I would expect to be leeched to any home software. Plus if it were legit, uninstalling should have taken care of the problem. Instead it seems to have made it much, much worse.
I did a full scan of all files with both AdAware and AVG - AdAware found a few tracking things, AVG found 8 more. All have been removed. I set AVG to do a rootkit scan but I don't remember how to trigger the scan on boot. Both AdAware and AVG are showing the system clean at this point.
The last time I had malware that nobody else had heard of, folks here knew what it was and how to get rid of it. I'm hoping somebody here will have some helpful ideas this time too.
EDIT: I remember the other app I installed - DROPBOX!