Touched base w/ 4 family members, by phone, to see if they had uninstalled Ad-Aware SE or upgraded to the new Ad-Aware 2007, given that support is ending from Lavasoft on Dec. 31, 2007 for the old, free version.
Even though, Ad-Aware was installed on these 4 computers, none
had Ad-Aware SE Personal in their Add/Remove programs. I used the link/info below, to successfully remove it for 3 of the 4.From Ad-Aware SE FAQ from Lavasoft:
There are several alternatives you can use to uninstall Ad-Aware SE:http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/faq_aawse.php#11
* Click "Uninstall Ad-Aware" in the Lavasoft folder of your Start menu.
* If you are unable to do that, open your control panel, click "Add/remove programs," and locate Ad-Aware SE.
* Another method to uninstall is to locate and double-click the file "unwise.exe" (the .exe may not be shown). You should be able to find this file in C:\program files\lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE [Personal/Plus/Professional]\.
If the above alternatives do not work, or you get a message saying, "Can’t find Install.log," you will need to manually uninstall the software. To do this:
* Click on "My Computer" and locate your Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE folder (C:\program files\lavasoft\ad-aware).
* Run the file "unregaaw.exe".
* Delete the entire Ad-Aware SE folder.
* Delete your Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE link in your Start menu (if present).
* Delete the Ad-Aware SE icon (s) from your desktop (if present).
* Navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name] \Application Data\Lavasoft" and delete the entire Lavasoft folder.
* Empty your trash bin.
* Reboot your computer.
The one that wasn't successful had 2
Ad-Aware folders in their Program files dir. The first Ad-Aware appeared to uninstall given the reports by phone, yet after a re-boot, the folder was described as having all the same files. The second Ad-Aware folder when double clicking on both "unwise.exe" and "unregaaw.exe" did "nothing".
Any ideas what is going on, and how to remove?