Java 2 Platform Standard Edition (J2SE) software is the premier platform for rapidly developing and deploying secure, portable applications that run on server and desktop systems spanning most operating systems. J2SE 6.0 is a significant release including many new features and updates while preserving compatibility and stability. The development of J2SE 6.0 was led by Sun and progressed following the Java Community Process (JCP) to include input from a variety of constituents.
Java allows you to play online games, chat with people around the world, calculate your mortgage interest, and view images in 3D. These applications, written in the Java programming language and access from your browse, are called "applets". Corporations also use Java applets for intranet applications and other e-business solutions.
Java technology was created as a computer programming tool in a small, secret effort called "the Green Project" at Sun Microsystems in 1991. As it turns out, the Internet was ready for Java technology, and just in time for its initial public introduction in 1995, the team was able to announce that the Netscape Navigator Internet browser would incorporate Java technology.
Now, the Java platform has attracted over 5 million software developers, worldwide use in every major industry segment, and a presence in a wide range of devices, computers, and networks of any programming technology. Today, you can find Java technology in networks and devices that range from the Internet and scientific supercomputers to laptops and cell phones, from Wall Street market simulators to home game players and credit cards -- just about everywhere. The best way to preview these applications is to explore java.com, the ultimate marketplace, showcase, and central information resource for businesses, consumers, and software developers who use Java technology.Key features:
• Write software on one platform and run it on practically any other platform
• Create programs to run within a web browser and web services
• Develop server-side applications for online forums, stores, polls, HTML forms processing, and more
• Combine Java technology-based applications or services to create highly customized applications or services
• Write powerful and efficient applications for mobile phones, remote processors, low-cost consumer products, and practically any device with a digital heartbeat Product Info
: Sun Java™