Malwarebytes & Security Essentials

Started by ChuckRJr, June 29, 2017, 03:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChuckRJr

I have Malwarebytes Premium 3.0 with full protection.  I also have Windows Security Essentials turned on. 
Question: Are there any conflicts?  Would having both turned on cause performance issues?

I run Windows 7 Professional 64bit with 12gb of memory and Intel 7 930 

Corrine

Although on two Windows 10 devices, I have Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium on both -- and both devices are from 2008 with only 4gb RAM so not the latest & greatest hardware.  I have no performance issues with both active.

As to conflicts, Windows will disable Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials if it sees another antivirus software running.  Because version 3 of Malwarebytes can be used as an A/V, it is necessary to make the following setting change in Malwarebytes:  Go to Settings > Application.  Under "Windows Action Center", check the box "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center".

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

ChuckRJr

Thanks I made the change.  I am having a Protection problem, I think. When I logon, the WEB Protection setting is OFF.  I get the message I am not fully protected so I turn on all protections. 
Why is this happening?  Should it always be on?  How do I keep it on?

Corrine

There were some issues with the early release of MBAM 3.0.  Have you updated to 3.1?  On the About tab, the full version should show as 3.1.2.1733 and  Component Package 1.0.141.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

ChuckRJr

I have Version 3.1.2.1733. Component Pkg 1.0.141.  Update Pkg 1.0.2259

Another issue since installing is in Chrome or Firefox the Website Loading is very long(couple of minutes).

plodr

I have 4 Windows 7 computers with MBAM and MS Security Essentials running all the time. None have the issue you describe.

My MBAM has the same version as you, the same component package as you but the update package is 1.0.2262 I checked two of the four computers in the house.

Have you posted in the forum?
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/41-malwarebytes-3/

Here's what to do https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/203489-malware-protection-wont-stay-on/
when you start your thread about protection keeps turning off.

There is a long thread but that is from May 19th and pertains to a different version.
Chugging coffee and computing!

winchester73

Component package update 1.0.160 was just released

http://www.landzdown.com/anti-spyware-software/malwarebytes-anti-malware/msg194287/#msg194287

I don't know if that will solve the problem or not ... but some protection 'fixes' were mentioned in the release notes.
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

plodr

Says here that it is to fix the OP's issue
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/202053-latest-component-package-update-see-latest-reply/
click the download link to get it and let's hope it solves your problem.

ChuckRJr

I now have Version 3.1.2.1733. Component Pkg 1.0.160.  Update Pkg 1.0.2251
Web Protection started OFF.  I get a notification updates not current.  I CANNOT find in the dashboard where to get updates.  I will look around and see if I can find it on the dashboard or in a message here.
I am still slow resolving addresses.  I have HOSTMAN Enabled.  I have its references set to 0.0.0.0.  I recalled where Microsoft Windows prefers that.

While I was writing this my Update Pkg. is now 1.0.2272

satrow

Chuck, use HostsMan to disable DNS caching > Tools > DNS Service, that will help if you have a large hosts file, flush the DNS first and you might feel the difference without needing to reboot.

ChuckRJr

Okay I have done that with Hostsman.  I hope that clears up the long RESOLVING HOSTS issue when starting a new website in Chrome or Firefox. I haven't tried I.E. when I first start a browser.

plodr

For the future, if you want to install an update go to the last item, settings.
Click the button, install application updates. I just did it to see what would happen. It took a while and said installing updates but then when it was done, I checked and I'm at 1.0.160.

ChuckRJr

I have taken the action for Hostsman.  I seem to be at the latest for Malwarebytes.  I am STILL facing a long time to find new websites for the 1st time with RESOLVING HOST message at the bottom of the page.

Corrine

No idea is this will be helpful for Chrome:  How to Fix Resolving Host Problem in Google Chrome? » WebNots.  I didn't see anything more recent than 2003-2004 for Firefox.

satrow

Quote from: Corrine on July 02, 2017, 08:56:33 PM
No idea is this will be helpful for Chrome:  How to Fix Resolving Host Problem in Google Chrome? » WebNots.  I didn't see anything more recent than 2003-2004 for Firefox.

The Option 5 there "Option 5 – Changing LAN Settings" is something I've regularly had to do for 10+ years on a large number of machines, it's one of the first things I test on a PC with connection issues.

Firefox has a similar option: about:preferences#advanced > Network tab > Connections > Settings.