Windows 7 Won't Start

Started by abyas, May 27, 2012, 09:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abyas

I have a gateway computer that runs windows 7. Today I was on the interent and it was froze up my whole computer, so I waited a while and it was still frozen and had to manually press the button for it to turn off. Then, I turned it back on and said something about windows 7 could not start properly, or something to that matter. It gave me two options one was for start up repair, or start windows normally. I tried start windows normally, but it kept bring me back to that screen.. I did try start up repair, but it stayed on a blue screen for ever. I have no idea what to do and really need help, since I use this for school.

Eric the Red

Do you still have the Windows 7 installation DVD? If you do you can use that to boot the computer into startup repair. A good tutorial in respect of this process may be found at:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm
"The time to start running is around about the "e" in "Hey, you!" "

abyas

My computer did not come with a disc to my knowledge. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work at all.

abyas

I was checking the link you gave me and it does not show the box on the third slide. It just sits there at the blue screen. Do you know how I can get the box to pop up?

Corrine

Hi, abyas.

When restarting in Safe Mode, if "Last Known Good Configuration" is available try that.  If that works, I suggest running System File Checker:

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  • Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
  • If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
  • At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow (note the space before the forward slash)
  • When the scan is complete, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved.
For additional information on Startup Repair, see Startup Repair - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows.  That Microsoft article also includes instructions for creating a System Repair disk.

Yet another possible option:  Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery - Windows 7 Forums

Warning:  Please note that the advertisement at the top of the page is not part of the tutorial.  Scroll down to the actual tutorial.

In addition, it is important to note the warning in the tutorial:

QuoteWarning
The instructions presented withing this tutorial must be followed correctly, or you can damage your Windows 7 installation even further. This tutorial is designed to help recover from a bad registry that is causing the startup repair loop. You should note that there may still be some issues remaining that cannot be fixed by manually restoring the registry.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

abyas

Quote from: Corrine on May 27, 2012, 10:33:46 PM
Hi, abyas.

When restarting in Safe Mode, if "Last Known Good Configuration" is available try that.  If that works, I suggest running System File Checker:

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  • Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
  • If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
  • At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow (note the space before the forward slash)
  • When the scan is complete, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved.
For additional information on Startup Repair, see Startup Repair - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows.  That Microsoft article also includes instructions for creating a System Repair disk.

Yet another possible option:  Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery - Windows 7 Forums

Warning:  Please note that the advertisement at the top of the page is not part of the tutorial.  Scroll down to the actual tutorial.

In addition, it is important to note the warning in the tutorial:

QuoteWarning
The instructions presented withing this tutorial must be followed correctly, or you can damage your Windows 7 installation even further. This tutorial is designed to help recover from a bad registry that is causing the startup repair loop. You should note that there may still be some issues remaining that cannot be fixed by manually restoring the registry.

It won't let me get passed the windows boot up screen. I tried to do in safe mode and the same thing happened it lead me back to doing the start up repair, where I am stuck at a blue screen.

Corrine

Hi, abyas.

I'm not saying it is a hardware problem, but that is certainly a possibility.  In order to test your RAM and hard disk, hard drive you will need to do the following:

You can download the appropriate tools for your hard disk here: Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using ImgBurn.  Boot from the CD, and run at least 5 passes.

This Microsoft article provides information on the recovery options:  What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

abyas

How can I do that if I can't boot up windows?

DonnaB

Hi abyas,

QuoteHow can I do that if I can't boot up windows?

Unfortunately you will need a second computer to achieve this goal.  If you are replying to your thread with a computer that will work just fine otherwise you may need to borrow someone's laptop/computer. :(

Your issue is very similar to my recent experience with a bad hard drive. 

I read above that you are able to press F8 to enter the Advanced Boot Options menu.

From the list on that menu choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Allow time for the Command Prompt window to appear. It will be similar to the image below:

Following C:\Windows\sytem32>_  type in chkdsk /r (please note the space after the backslash).

If you receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type y and reboot if it does not reboot on it own.

The /r switch tells chkdsk to attempt to recover any bad sectors of the hard drive if any are found. If any are found then it is time to get a new HD. :(

This process will take some time to complete so please be patient. Let us know the results once complete.

If you are unable to accomplish this feat you will need the second computer and follow Corrine's instructions above.

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought."
Tom Robbins

abyas

When I did that, it basically loaded the different files then waited a minute and rebooted up again. I did not even get anywhere were you said.

DonnaB

When you accessed the Advanced Boot Options menu and chose Safe Mode with Command prompt it should have loaded the files you mentioned then gave you the Command Prompt window as in the image above. I have a very strong feeling that your hard drive has crashed.

I don't think this will work, but did you at least try Last Known Good Configuration as Corrine suggested above? If that doesn't work then I'd like to think it is the hard drive (HD) and nothing we try will work because we can not access the HD.

Do you have a second computer to use so you can follow through with Corrine's other suggestion of creating a Memtest86 disc to verify it is not bad RAM causing this?

You may have to find a reputable Tech Shop in your area.
"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought."
Tom Robbins

abyas

BAsically it will not let me boot up anyway you guys tell me to try.

DonnaB

QuoteBAsically it will not let me boot up anyway you guys tell me to try.

Unfortunately, that is a good sign that the HD needs replacing. :(

Do you have all your personal data backed up from this machine? If not let us know and we can help you retrieve the data.

There are a couple of ways to retrieve the data, though either way you do it you will need a second computer to create the Puppy Linux Live CD mentioned below or you can also purchase an HD external enclosure to secure the HD into an attach by USB to the second computer.

Puppy Linux Live CD

Otherwise,  if you do not feel confidant taking the HD out of the computer or creating the Live CD the best option would be the Tech Shop. The Tech Shop will save all the data for you prior to replacing the HD.

Please stay tuned. One of the other members may have a suggestion as well.

Please keep us informed to whatever choice you make.
Tom Robbins