Wifi will not stay connected.

Started by anna1362, March 07, 2014, 06:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anna1362

I moved to a new address with different wifi. I get on the internet but I lose internet connection after about 3 minutes. The lap tops that have been using the same internet wifi stay connected with no problems. I get this message when I try to re connect to the internet, "Acquiring network address". Please help, thank you, Anna

Digerati

Move right up close to the WAP (wireless access point - often integrated with a "wireless router). Do you stay connected then?
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

Corrine

Hi, Anna.

Since you had a duplicate thread, since removed, I'll quote GR@PH;<'S response from there:

Quote from: GR@PH;<'S
anna1361,
Just a thought but try unplugging your router completely
for a few minuets.
That way any static build up would be discharged.
Then plug it back in and try that .
Failing that you can always go into your router settings and
change the channel for your wifi.

GR@PH;<'S   :Hammys pint:

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

GR@PH;<'S

anna1361,
Please let us know how you get on.

GR@PH;<'S   :Hammys pint:
press Enter then have a Brandy then if the problem is still there have another Brandy
Q: does it work
A: It does seem to for a few hours at least.

Digerati

Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

anna1362

I unplugged the router...unplugged the modem...internet/cable company just replaced the cable coming into the house. Still can not stay connected to the internet. My boyfriend has been living here and he has never had the issues I am having, he has a notebook and a laptop. I am not computer or internet knowledgeable, some of the ideas that have been posted...I am unsure as to how to do them. Like change the channel...no idea how to do that. Thank you for all of your responses. Still can't stay connected.
Anna

anna1362

No difference if I move right next to the modem/router. Won't stay connected. Thank you, Anna

anna1362

If I'm thinking correctly, if I change the channel won't that affect the other users on this internet. I can't mess their connection up. So unsure as to what I'm doing. Thank you, Anna :embarrassed:

anna1362

Gr@ph, I'm unclear as to what you mean. "How I get on"?
Thank you, Anna

GR@PH;<'S

anna1362,
Sorry for the unusual name  here GR@PH;<'S  = Hammy 
Most have trouble getting it right but some find that copy & paste works but  Hammy will do.

Can you provide us with some information like what is the Maker name /model number of your router and is it possible for you to plug in an Ethernet cable connection ( rj45 Cable ) if needed
that way we will be able to tell you how to go in to the setting of your router.

Hammy   :Hammys pint:
press Enter then have a Brandy then if the problem is still there have another Brandy

anna1362

Hammy: I'm so sorry but Google Chrome is what I am on right now and this notebook won't let me copy and paste.  :sad: Here is the info you asked about
Maker:  TP-Link
Model#: TL-WR720N  Version 1.1
I have an ethernet cable, do you want me to try connecting with it?
Thank you, Anna

anna1362

I appreciate all the help, but I have to disconnect for today, my head hurts so bad from trying to figure this all out. I will check back in tomorrow. Thank you all,  :thud: Anna

GR@PH;<'S

anna1362,
You go have a rest there is no rush
Personally I find a Brandy helps   :mitch:
or a sleep .
--
But when you ready go have a look at this link for TP-Link (<--- Click the blue Text)
it is Suitable for: Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Routers, Wireless VoIP ADSL2+ Modem Routers

Hammy   :Hammys pint:

Digerati

Since the other computers work fine, you should not have to change the channel - ESPECIALLY if you have this same problem when standing right next to the modem/router. Do you live in a "crowded" wifi neighborhood? This typically does NOT include a neighborhood of "houses" but does include large apartment complexes.  If you live in a neighborhood where you can "see" many wireless networks, changing the channel may help. The other computers will have to log off then back on but should not need to make any manual configuration changes. You change the channel via the router's admin menu.

Do you see any errors in Device Manager for your computer?

If you connect directly to the router with an Ethernet cable, do you stay connected? Have you scanned for malware?
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

anna1362

Hey, I'm back. Sorry this is so stressful for me. I've been checking the TP-Link, I found a step by step method to install the TP-Link onto my Windows XP, but lost the link and can't find it again.
Digerati:
I live in the country and don't have any other wireless networks in the list. Not even the one I am trying to connect to. I right click the signal strength icon and click the name of the wifi I want to connect to, and it searches for a while and then connects for about 1 min and then disconnects. I tried to click repair and it says it can't find my IP Address, so I tried to change the IP address and it won't take the command. A friend tried to connect on his wifi at his house and he said one of my registry keys was something(can't remember the term he used) so he fixed it and the computer connected to his wifi. Brought it home and it still won't connect.  :sos:
I can't get on the internet to update my Avira (antivirus). Could have malware, not sure how to scan for that. I'm trying to run a system scan with Avira, looks like it is running. Yay! Not sure how to check for error in Device Manager. I can't remember if the computer stayed online when connected with the ethernet cable.
I sure appreciated any and all help you all can give me. Thank you, Anna