HP Deskjet 2540 not printing Black very dark

Started by 2harts4ever, April 26, 2016, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2harts4ever

Howdy,

I was trying to print off some forms this morning on my HP Deskjet 2540 printer and for some reason any 'type' normally showing in "black' was appearing as a light grey when printed.  I have been using this Printer for two or three years and never ran into this problem.

It appears a setting as been changed but my 74-year-old mind can't get a handle on it.

Any ideas?

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

" ... Nuff Said.  Keep Smiling Because I'm Smiling Too ..."

winchester73

What happens when you print a test page?

Maybe the greyscale option in the print driver got changed?

Click on the Start menu, then Devices and Printers. Right-click on your printer. Select Printing Preferences and click on the Paper/Quality tab.

Is the greyscale on or off?

If on, turn it off and see if that helps (Click Apply to save any changes. Click OK to close the window)
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

2harts4ever

Hi winchester73,

(1) When I print a test page the color come3s out find but the black is very light, more like grey instead of black.

(2) Greyscale option is 'off'

(3) Tried changing it to 'on' but same problem.

It seems all I am doing is wasting paper ...lol

I already cleared the print heads, etc. but no help.  I just used the printer about a week ago and all was well.

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

DR M

What if you print a page directly from the printer? E.g. copy something?

If this is ok, what happens if you turn the printer off, then turn it on again and print from the computer?

Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

DR M

Quote from: DR M on April 26, 2016, 08:19:29 PM
What if you print a page directly from the printer? E.g. copy something?

If this is ok, what happens if you turn the printer off, then turn it on again and print from the computer?

Sorry for the double posting, but time was over... Also completely unplug printer's cables and see what happens.
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

winchester73

Quote from: 2harts4ever on April 26, 2016, 07:59:47 PM
Hi winchester73,

(1) When I print a test page the color come3s out find but the black is very light, more like grey instead of black.

(2) Greyscale option is 'off'

(3) Tried changing it to 'on' but same problem.

It seems all I am doing is wasting paper ...lol

I already cleared the print heads, etc. but no help.  I just used the printer about a week ago and all was well.

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

Best guess is a cartridge or printhead problem.  Any chance you have another black cartridge to try?

Did you try manually cleaning the cartridge printhead with isopropyl alcohol?
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

2harts4ever

SOLVED!

DR M and winchester73,

After I had exhausted everything else I finally decided to put a new black cartridge in and POW that was the problem.  The old one was either defective or empty although it was showing as about 85 percent full.

Regardless .... I appreciate your help.  Outside of using half a pack of paper and feeling completely stupid ...  all is well in the end .....lol

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

winchester73

Sometimes the simple solutions are the best :)

An inkjet printer cartridge is not happy being idle for long periods of time, it will dry out in as little as 3-4 weeks.    That's one drawback of inkjets, you have to keep using them.  A couple of pages a week is usually sufficient.  However, a bigger issue with longer term non-use is the printhead, which will clog and require manually cleaning.

Digerati

I don't want to open a big OT bucket of worms over a never-ending debate, but there are many, including yours truly, who have stopped using 3rd party inks for the very reason you mention - light printouts from an apparently empty cartridge that reports plenty of ink left. I have seen this with my own HPs (several models - from entry level to higher-end), as well as several Brothers and Epson printing devices too.

My own theory is that ink inconsistencies from the 3rd party suppliers between lots/batches, as well as the fact the cartridges themselves are used (often several times) results in erratic behavior - on many printers. And this is especially true on the low-cost models. Part of the problem is users often buy the cheapest ink available when they need ink. This time it might be from Staples, next time Best Buy, next time from an on-line supplier. There is no consistency in the in formulas in aftermarket inks. Even from the same aftermarket supplier, they may buy from this ink maker this time, and that ink maker next time. Sure, they guarantee the ink, but they don't warranty any damage to the printer, should that occur.

So, not sure if you are using genuine HP ink, but I recommend it, even if it does cost more. But to that, I note with careful shopping and good timing, even genuine ink can be purchased at some good sale prices. Just be careful about stocking up as even unused, unopened ink can go bad as it has a shelf-life. For this reason, it all has a use-by date stamped somewhere on the packaging and typically, it is less than 2 years.

And as noted above, once opened and installed, it can dry out even quicker.

If you do wish to use aftermarket ink, I urge you to buy from a reputable source, and stick with that one brand.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

2harts4ever

Morning winchester73, Digerati and all,

I appreciate both of your comments even after I had marked this solved. 

First, winchester73:  I think you hit the nail or the head.  Once you posted I did some recall exercises (and, with a 74-year-old Brain housing group, that isn't easy ...lol)  Right before Christmas we were blessed with our first Great grandchild.  As a result our Color ink cartridge has been getting a steady workout with us printing pictures, so much so, I had to put in a new one.  And, the more I thought about it, I realized it has probably been four or five weeks since I even thought about printing something using the black cartridge.  However, your suggestion to try cleaning the Print head with Isopropyl Alcohol came about five minutes too late since I had just got done heaving the old cartridge in the garbage can and installing the new one.  But, rest assured I will keep that in mind, should the problem return because of inactivity.

Second, Digerati: I do use genuine HP ink or, at least it comes in original HP packaging, box and all.  You never have to worry about opening up a bucket of worms with me.  That is how us old folks learn.  However, my problem is trying to retain what I have learned....lol

Third, for all involved in this thread:  I appreciate all your help.  All your names are familiar so I am thinking you have helped me in the past, if not on this forum, on others.  I don't get on as much as I used too.  Showing my wife how to use this computer was a big mistake ...lol

Until the next time,
Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

Digerati

QuoteThat is how us old folks learn.
To be sure, I am not that far behind you. In fact, that is why I help out on these forums, to share what I have learned before I forget. ;)
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

Corrine

Quote from: 2harts4ever on April 27, 2016, 04:49:55 PM
All your names are familiar so I am thinking you have helped me in the past, if not on this forum, on others.
If my memory is working properly, we met on one of the forums something like 13 years ago!

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

2harts4ever

Hi Corrine,

If I remember correctly your memory always worked properly and this memory is no exception....lol   Have a good day my friend!

Regards,
2harts4ever