looking for a preogram similar to Secunia PSI

Started by 2harts4ever, August 21, 2016, 07:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2harts4ever

Howdy,

A few weeks back I updated my Windows 10 to the Anniversary edition update.   Ever since then I have been having problems when attempting to use Secunia PSI 3.0 to check for updates for installed programs.  I can get it to open but then it just sits on 'Preparing to scan" until I finally take it off.  I have tried reinstalling but the same problem happens.

I am just wondering if anyone knows of any similar programs.  I have used PSI for years and would like to find another free update checker to take its place.

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever
" ... Nuff Said.  Keep Smiling Because I'm Smiling Too ..."

winchester73

Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

2harts4ever

Hi Winchester73,

I appreciate your fast and informative response.  I had looked at each of them but I noted that neither said they could run with Win 10.  Your thoughts on this please.

Thanks and regards,
2harts4everf

winchester73

If you click on the technical tab, it says it does: http://filehippo.com/download_app_manager/tech/59899/

QuoteRequirements: Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / Windows 7 / XP 64-bit / Vista 64-bit / Windows 7 64-bit / Windows 8 / Windows 8 64-bit / Windows 10 / Windows 10 64-bit
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

ky331

Just to point out what I *believe* to be a main difference between the Secunia PSI and the FileHippo scanner:   Secunia only alerts you when a program has become insecure, and it will tell you whether (or not) a newer, secure version exists.
In contrast, I believe Filehippo will alert you whenever there is a newer version of the program available, regardless of whether the changes are for the sake of security, or for any other changes (e.g., new features, or minor "bug fixes" that aren't considered a security issue).

By the way, users of avast antivirus can [opt to] install its own scanner for "outdated" software.

Corrine

Hi, 2harts4ever!  It is always nice to see long-time friends (notice I intentionally didn't say "old friends" :) .  Hope you are doing well.

Another option is Ninite which works on Windows 10, 8.x, 7, Vista, XP Service Pack 3, and equivalent Server versions.  Like FileHippo App Manager, it will also provide version updates and isn't limited to security vulnerabilities.  Here's an old article by Ed Bott about it:  Ninite is fast, easy, and foistware-free | ZDNet

Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

2harts4ever

Hi winchester73. ky331 and Corrine,

All three of your responses will give me some things to ponder and try tonight. 

Good to see you come aboard too Corrine and I don't mind being called 'old' at all .... It is what it is ....lol

Hope you are doing good too.  It is always good to see familiar names like yours and winchester73 and others like ky331 willing to help.

Take care and keep responding!

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

darksurfer

Hi 2harts4ever:

I would highly recommend Sumo, which is Windows 10 compatible. I find that it
s very quick, and for the most part, works well.  ;)

One sticking point is, sometimes it puts beta versions on their list, even when you don't ask for them but I can get by that by checking other sites like Majorgeeks and Snapfiles.

http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo

2harts4ever

Hi darksurfer,

I just installed SUMo and I am impressed with the number of programs on my computer that it discovered on its initial scan.

I have about five that it says need major updates and 10 which require minor updates.

However, when I try to update one of the programs I think it wants me to install the whole program not update it.  As an example when I click on Belarc Advisor (minor update) I am taken to a page where I can 'Download Belarc Advisor'.  Clicking on that link takes me to a page where they want me to pay 29.99 for 'SUMo - Lifetime Licence'.

What I am trying to do is just get updates not buy the whole program.  My example above applies to each of the programs I try to update.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks and regards
2harts4ever

2harts4ever

Hi darksurfer,

Just a quick update.  I played around with the Program for a few minutes and now I realize that the free option just tells you if you have programs or software that needs updating.  To be able to update them via SUMo you need the Licence they are trying to sell me.

Right now I am just going to the Program sites of those that need updating and using their update features.

Am I correct that if I would buy a subscription to SUMo then I would be able to go directly to SUMo for the update or to the Programs update site via SUMo.

Regardless, I thank you for bringing my attention to it.  It is pretty close to Secunia PSI as far as the number of Programs it scans on my computer.

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

plodr

http://www.kcsoftwares.com/index.php?sumo
QuoteSUMo PRO adds automatic self-update & direct update access capabilities to SUMo.
Chugging coffee and computing!

2harts4ever

Hi plodr,

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.  Like I said I do like the number of programs SUMo watches on my computer.  It is very close to what PSI was doing prior to me having trouble using it.

I am hoping someone who has the Pro subscription of SUMo comes forward and lets me know if they think it is worth the money, i.e., does it do what it claims to do?  Right now I am just using it to tell me what needs updating and then I go to that website and try to update.

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

darksurfer

Hi 2harts4ever:

I just use the free version and then go to a site and download the updated version of thr program that needs it. Don't pay for the "premium" version of Sumo if you can help it.

I am beginning to think Sumo is more responsive in finding updates on programs than Secunia which isn't quite as responsive as the older versions. There are, sure enough, other similar programs but they aren't as thorough or a s comprehensive as Sumo and Secunia.

Your best bet would be to keep on constant alert about updates on programs on the internet.  I check sites like Majorgeeks, Snapfiles, Filehorse, Frewwarefiles, Filepuma and Downloadcrew. That's the key.  Sometimes your best approach would be, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," where if the program is working already, don't mess with it.

The decision is up to you. Good luck.

plodr

I don't necessarily run the most current version of every program. For example: CCleaner is updated monthly. That is more often than my browser which I use constantly. To me that seems excessive. Since I still run Win 7, I don't need updates for programs that wnat to add functionality for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.
Now if it is an update that specifies it is for a security issue, then I do update. Rarely is security mentioned.
Chugging coffee and computing!

2harts4ever

Hi plodr and darksurfer,

I appreciate your updates on the subject.  I think I will stay with the free version for now too.

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever