Window super slow, Takin hours to reboot

Started by pastywhitegurl, March 10, 2022, 06:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pastywhitegurl

This  morning, windows responding very slow. However, task manager was not showing any excessive usage. Closed open applications and started a reboot to windows without updating after shutdown. The computer has been trying  to reboot for a couple hours now.  I am asking  what to do next, as the March updates are pending.

pastywhitegurl

So, my problem has been resolved by my wonderful neighbor, who discovered that MalwareBytesPro was somehow stuck in a scan mode that was slowing everything else down.  To the point where the computer wasn't able to power down completely.

Once he got it to shut down, it was able to reboot, install the updates and open again. At that point, he aborted the MB scan that was in progress and things went back to normal.

This is the second time that MB overloaded the computer. The first instance did show up on Task Manager as excessive CPU useage. This time it did not, but the super slowness was similar.

Now that I know this, I can look at MBAM first and try to unstick it, but  I wonder why this has happened twice now.  Any ideas?  I know I have the switch right to let it interact with Windows Defender so its not that.

Corrine

That is strange.  I've used MBAM from when it was first introduced and never had any issues.  Perhaps if it happens again, you might want to check the MBAM forums for any similar issues.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

pastywhitegurl

Thanks Corrine,

Hopefully, it wont happen again.  The instances were many months apart, but I'll try to remember about MBAM forums should it happen again.

I hate that helpless feeling when you can't use your computer to get help for your computer!    Fortunately, I have other machines around that I can use, but it is unsettling.

Corrine

I know exactly what you mean about it being unsettling when there is an issue with your computer.  

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

plodr

I've never installed the Web Browser protection. You might want to check and see if it is enabled. I'm not sure but that might slow things down.

My scan settings are attached. Every once in a while I enable Scan for Rootkits then do a manual scan. Our computers are old and not real fast, hardware-wise and scanning for rootkits makes an already long scan take much longer. My computer is now scanning and it is over 17 minutes and working on the file system. It will probably take 1/2 hour.
Chugging coffee and computing!

pastywhitegurl

I disabled the MBAM browser protections and don't let them install on updates.   It was interfering with certain sites I need to visit often in Edge.   I've since switched to Brave browser, so I might try it again, but for now its not active.

I do let it do regular root scans, though. I may try doing those less frequently.