Computer froze up.

Started by ron350, April 20, 2024, 12:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR M

Ron,

This is from the part of the log you posted earlier:

Windows 10 Pro Version 2009 (X64) (2022-02-15 23:02:48)

That is why I talked about the need of upgrading to the latest Windows version.

Type winver in the Search area and press Enter. It will show you the Windows version you are using now.

Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

ron350

winver=

Micrisoft Windows
   Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045-4291)

DR M

This is good!

Strange the FRST tool showed other things. Maybe because it was itself a very old version of the tool?

Well, now you must try again to download it and run it.

Let me know at which step of the process you have difficulties, so we can overcome them.
Grecian Geek

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

ron350

When i try to down load this:
  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

My computer shows this in a tool bar on the right side of the page.
  When i double click on it it goes to Downloads.
  Double click on it again and it tries to open it with Note Pad and fails?

DR M

OK.

Does the tool in Downloads has the icon of Notepad too?

I wonder if you are trying to open the log created previously, named FRST.txt. Our file's name is FRST64.exe
Grecian Geek

ron350

Yes the file has a Note Pad icon in front of it.
  So my computer is trying to open it with Note Pad.

How can i fix this?

DR M

Just to ensure that you are opening the right item: what's the name of it? FRST64.exe or FRST.txt?
Grecian Geek

ron350

When i click on  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/
  It takes me to Fubar Recovery Scan Tool Download page.
  I click on DOWNLOAD NOW (Green Bar) marked 64-Bit Version.

Under downloads before i double click it shows Notepad icon then Unconfirmed 712986.

After i double click it shws Notepad with a jumble of icons and letters.
  There is one line that says "This program cannot run in DOS mode."

I have tried this many times with the same results every time.

DR M

Unconfirmed download means that the file is not completely downloaded.

Wait for the download to complete and then open it in Downloads.
Grecian Geek

ron350

Last two atempts waited 5 min after downloaded to Downloads.

Unconfirmed470855 4/21/24 2:45PM CRDOWNLOAD 2,338 KB

Unconfirmed712986 4/21/24 1:30PM CRDOWNLOAD 2,338 KB

This thing will not download to my computer.

v_v

ron350,

To repeat what DR M wrote:

QuoteJust to ensure that you are opening the right item: what's the name of it? FRST64.exe or FRST.txt?

What is the exact name of the file that you get in Downloads?  It is important that the file have an ".exe" suffix at the end.  If somehow it has an ".exc" suffix then it will get associated with Notepad.  So if it somehow has an ".exc" suffix the rename it to the ".exe" suffix.  (Right click on it and choose "rename".)

Okay, I just saw your last post after I typed the above.  Try this alternate downloads link " https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/farbar_recovery_scan_tool_64_bit.html ".

v_v
Justice, Equity, and Meaningful, Productive, and Fulfilling Lives to All Earthlings

ron350

When it downloads in the colum on the right side of the screen it says:

(red triangle) FRST64.exe isn't commonly downloaded. Make sure you trustFRST64.exe before you open it.

Without me clicking on this it is allready siting in Downloads with the Notepad icon in front of it.

So my computer is trying to open this using NotePad.
  How can i change how my computer try's to open this?

v_v

ron350,

1.  Are you getting this from both the Bleeping Computer link and the Major Geeks link?

2.  What browser are you using?

3.  Is that window or tool bar on the right side of the screen part of the browser or part of some other program?

4.  I am not familiar will the real-time aspect of MalwareBytes but you might try disabling it JUST for this download, and then re-enabling it.
Justice, Equity, and Meaningful, Productive, and Fulfilling Lives to All Earthlings

ron350

The same thing happens wherever FRST comes from.

The only program downloade before now is Malwarebytes.

My only browser is EDGE.

Does not change anything with MBAM turned off.

My computer does not know how to open FRST!!!

ron350

What program or APP opens FRST on your computer?