No Audio Device is Installed

Started by Shax, June 04, 2022, 08:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shax

Greetings to all after a long time absence! 8)

My barely 3 month old Acer Aspire 5 has suddenly gone mute. When I try to fix the audio, I get the message "No Audio Device is Installed." This began suspiciously soon after Windows update KB5013889. Up until the previous day, all was fine.

I've seen the same problem quite often in my online searches, but nearly every fix involves updating drivers. But I have no device to update drivers for!
I'm currently working on a long-term project in a remote area of India, and internet connection isn't very reliable. Currently using a dongle.

A friend here updated my Bios to no avail. I'd rather not reset this machine to factory if it can be avoided.

Any and all help gratefully received.

Regards from Shax.

Paddy

Hello shax can you try this tutorial
And see if it helps please.
Fix Acer Computer Has No Sound in Windows 11 | FIX Sound Problems On Acer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Ceqj2iaZU

Paddy..
This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever - Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

ky331

Just to let you know, I experienced essentially the same issue.   I downloaded/installed KB5013889, the Win10 version of the Cumulative Update Preview for .NET on June 2, and on the next day, June 3, I noticed there [allegedly] were no audio devices on my system.
I spent some time chatting with Microsoft and Dell technicians, allowing the latter remote access.   After several attempts (updating the BIOS, and the RealTek Audio Driver), they gave up, and said they'd have to reinstall Windows [wiping out all my installed programs and data].   I did NOT allow them to do that.
I "tinkered" for about 3 hours, running DISM, SFC, CHKDSK, as well as downloading/installing several drivers again.   Just when I was about to give-up for the day, I rebooted one last time, and amazingly, my sound (audio output & microphone) was resurrected!   I can't say definitively what I did, in what order... or whether it was just a fluke.
I can't assert, with absolute certainty, that it was the .NET update [by itself] that caused my problem.  But that both you and I experienced this, seems more than just a coincidence.   Hopefully, others will report it, and if it turns out the .NET preview update was indeed the culprit, that MSFT will issue a fixed version. 

ky331

plodr

When I started searching, this appears to be a preview update. That means, you are essentially a tester to see what bugs are in the update.

If it were my computer, I'd uninstall it and reboot. If the sound returns, then don't install the update until the bugs are worked out.
Chugging coffee and computing!

SpyDie

I actually have this problem on my other Dell, and I've not been able to figure it out  >:(

Although the workaround here does work for me: https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/Latitude-5400-no-sound-after-May-2021-Windows-update/td-p/7878650/page/4 (in the OP)

Probably different reasons, as mine started ages ago, but sharing in case the workaround helps and works for you.
Beta. Software undergoes beta testing shortly before it's released. Beta is Latin for 'still doesn't work.'

ky331

Plodr,
Yes, the .NET update (assuming it is in fact the culprit here), is indeed a "preview" update.   HOWEVER, as soon as I click on Check for Updates, these preview .NET updates have been downloaded AND INSTALLED with no further interaction on my part... in other words, it was never listed as an "optional" update [in contrast to the cumulative update preview for Windows 10, which, upon checking for updates, appears as an OPTIONAL update, which is only downloaded/installed if I then so request it].

Since my system is working again, I will not gamble on uninstalling it... since it likely would be installed again the next time I checked for updates...but that certainly is a possibility for others stuck in this mess.

Shax

Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. I tried them all, but the problem persists. I had high hopes for plodr's solution, but that, too, failed. It was disappointing to discover that W11 doesn't have System Restore built in. Had to install that manually, but obviously it only works from the installation date, can't go back in time.
My quest continues...

ky331

Here's something you might try.
As I understand it, your sound device doesn't appear in the Device Manager... but hopefully, its program is listed under Programs & Features (Add & Remove Programs).  If so:
Download a (fresh) copy of that program from your OEM's (Acer's) website.
Once you have that, go to Programs & Features, to UNinstall the sound program that's there.
THEN (re-)install from the (fresh) copy that you just downloaded.
It may be as simple as that... if not immediately fixed, try a reboot to check again.

Shax

Thanks, ky331, but already done that. The reinstall does show up again in the Programs list, but nothing else has changed.  :(

Shax

I really can't let this go...I reset this laptop back to factory settings, but even that didn't restore the audio. So I just spent an hour downloading the Realtek driver. And now I'm stuck. It was zipped, so didn't let me run it as a normal exe. Could someone be kind enough to tell me how to open/run/install this? I took a screenshot of that folder's contents, but I can't even attach that here, either as an attachment or as an "insert image". Woe is me! :-[ :-[

Paddy

From your second screenshot
I personally think if you double click
On the setup file 8 up from the
Bottom just might run the installation
File.. I haven't been able to test this tho
As I'm not on my computer
And I'm replying to your post via
My phone..

Paddy..
This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever - Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Shax

Thanks, Paddy. When I click on that, I'm asked if I'll allow Installscript setup launcher unicode. I'm really getting out of my depth here. Do I just allow that and hopefully continue?

Paddy

Again not having tested this
I think it's okay to allow it to run
My opinion is it will run or it won't
Hopefully it'll work..

Paddy..

Shax

OMG!!! It actually worked! After 2 weeks of audio silence I can hear again! Thanks so much Paddy and to all who offered support and advice. What a relief!