LandzDown: A Global Community!

Started by Corrine, July 23, 2013, 08:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corrine

One of our long-time members suggested an interesting topic for our little community -- in essence, a place to talk about our roots and, perhaps, share bits of information about ourselves. 

I'll start with a bit of a tidbit -- Although many people do not use their real name, I chose to do so in remembrance of the maternal grandmother I never knew but was named after.  Her family was from Ireland, thus the Irish pronunciation (kor-een).  My other grandparents were from Germany, France and the Netherlands. 

My husband, on the other hand, was born in Ukraine.  His family immigrated to the U.S. when he was a teenager.

Who else wants to share?

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

MikeW

Like Corrine, I use my real name. Born and lived in Kent (UK) until 1988 once known as the garden of England. Its now a maze of motorways and the gateway to Europe. I moved to Bedfordshire to set up a new operation for my then employers, until I retired early to nurse my wife at home. I have been involved with computers both AS400 main frame and PC. I have participated in a few forums over the years helping sort out user problems.

Mike
Win 11 Home MS Edge - WD - Mbam Pro

DR M

My name is Panos and I come from Cyprus, a greek island in the eastern Mediterranean. My parents' city is Famagusta. Since the north cite (38% ) of my island is under the turkish occupation since 1974, we are not allowed to go there. My football team is Anorthosis Famagusta, and you can read more about my city in the team's website: http://www.anorthosis.com/article/3
After gaduating from Univercity (degree in Pedagogy), I continued doing masters in Music Education and now in Mathematics Education (that's why Dr M :)  ). Every time I have a lot of reading, I mess up my computer and then join Landzdown Forum.  :Win73:

Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

Temmu

temmu is a japanese emporer found on a site about judo, but, it seems, no where else in history... i believe i own the name on the whole internet, having never seen it used by anyone else.  (lol, now watch how many spring up... ) our country has been occupied by progressives (one world order folks) since the 1920's when we gave the management (printing, interest rates, etc.) of our money to the bank of england. unauditable, they both continue the destruction of our nation. and like you, dr m, we can't go there... so sad.

DR M

Quote from: Temmu on September 15, 2013, 08:34:01 PM
temmu is a japanese emporer found on a site about judo, but, it seems, no where else in history... i believe i own the name on the whole internet, having never seen it used by anyone else.  (lol, now watch how many spring up... ) our country has been occupied by progressives (one world order folks) since the 1920's when we gave the management (printing, interest rates, etc.) of our money to the bank of england. unauditable, they both continue the destruction of our nation. and like you, dr m, we can't go there... so sad.

Hi, Temmu!

So, you come from Japan? Please, tell us some more about it! And could you give more information about the situation you describe above? You can' t go where?

P.S. My favorite movie is Karate Kid, and Pat Morita (Mr Miyagi) my favorite movie character!  :D
Grecian Geek

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

Corrine

Ah, Panos, that was Temmu being Temmu.  He was referring to his username (Emperor Temmu).   Our Temmu has a unique sense of humor.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

DR M

Quote from: Corrine on October 09, 2013, 05:01:27 PM
Ah, Panos, that was Temmu being Temmu.  He was referring to his username (Emperor Temmu).   Our Temmu has a unique sense of humor.

OK!!!!! I will remember that!!!!!  :hysterical:
Grecian Geek

Basil

What a fabulous topic! :D
Well, here it goes....
I was born in Athens, Greece, many years ago, but have lived in the UK for nearly 50 years.
I use my Anglicized name. My real Greek name is Vassilis.
I have been married for just over 40 years, to a very patient and wonderful woman!.. :flowers:
My wife was born in London, but her father was Polish and her mother was Czechoslovakian. She speaks fluent Greek, but I don't dare use the Polish I know.....(I only know rude phrases)..  :hysterical:

I initially came to the UK as a student. I am a retired Chartered Mechanical Engineer. I am also a fully qualified, Ministry of Transport Approved Driving Instructor (road safety is one of my hobbies). I have spent all my working life in the manufacturing sector. The business I was working for, was initially owned by the French, then the Japanese and finally by the English. That gave me a great knowledge and experience in the various management styles and business practises of different nationalities. As a result, I have the greatest respect for the Japanese management style and business practises.... Amazing people!...:thumbsup:

We live in Kent, only about 30 miles from the centre of London (as the craw flies)... I totally agree with MikeW....I don't know why Kent is called the Garden of England......I call it "the concrete jungle".... :angry:

I bought my first computer 10 years ago. Initially, I didn't even know how to send an email. Now, although by no means an expert in anything, I have a fairly good knowledge of what NOT to do in order to stay as safe as possible on line. For a period of a few months, I was training at the Malware Removal University, but I totally underestimated the commitment and patience required to complete the course. I am ashamed to say, I dropped out. However, this experience has given me a lot of useful knowledge. I love following various discussions in Technical Forums and reading various experts technical blogs (Thank you Corrine.. :flowers:).

We have a married son and a lovely 2 year old granddaughter.

bob3160

Excellent topic. Who need Google or the NSA when we give it up freely.  :dance:
A simple Google search for bob3160 brings up my real name.
I was born in Germany and came to the US in 1953. (Before many of you were born. )
Grandpa on Dad's side of the family came from Yugoslavia and Grandma on Dad's side came from Denmark.
Mom side of the family is German.
I've been married for over 53 years. (Yes, to the same lovely person....)
We have 6 Grand kids and 7 Great Grand kids.
I was forced to retire in 1983 due to an aneurysm and in 2010, was asked by Avast Software to do computer security related presentations
to Computer clubs all over this great country. (I've been part of their support forum since 2004)
I could probably write a book but don't have time. I'm having too much fun. :)
It's nice to be Important. It's more important to be Nice.

Corrine

Fun is what it is all about, Bob!  It is great to see you here.

Basil

Hi Norbert... :laughing:

"Who need Google, the NSA when we give it up freely"

If Google, the NSA or GCHQ want to know anything about me, all they have to do is ask nicely! I will save them the hustle and inconvenience of having to do so much work to get it by other means..... :dance:    I am sure they have other, more important work to do... :hysterical:

DR M

Quote from: Basil on October 09, 2013, 05:27:58 PM
What a fabulous topic! :D
Well, here it goes....
I was born in Athens, Greece, many years ago, but have lived in the UK for nearly 50 years.
I use my Anglicized name. My real Greek name is Vassilis.

Γεια σου, Βασίλη! Χαίρομαι που σε γνωρίζω!  :thumbsup:

(Hi, Basil! Nice to meet you!)

Πάνος
Grecian Geek

Basil

Γεια σου Πάνο,
Οι Έλληνες είναι παντού!
Χάρηκα για τη γνωριμία...  :hallo:

Temmu

Basil