Spell Check win 10?

Started by ron350, October 19, 2022, 01:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron350

Can you add spell check to notepad or wordpad in win 10?

Corrine

I have Microsoft Editor on Windows 11 and seldom use Notepad and don't recall ever using Wordpad. However, for Notepad, I found this at Get Help With Notepad In Windows 10: Your Ultimate Guide:

QuoteTo add spell check and word suggestion to Windows 10 notepad, follow the steps below: Right-click Start Menu and select Settings. Then, on the Windows Settings screen, click Devices -> Typing. Finally, on the details pane of Typing, toggle the Autocorrect misspelt words I type, ON. Also, toggle Show text suggestions as I type, ON.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

plodr

Additionally there is a program (installed or portable) that will check spelling as you type in ANY Windows program.
https://www.tinyspell.com/

I just downloaded the portable version in Windows 7 and tested it in Notepad - the most basic program for text files. It beeps and shows me the misspelled words as I type. I'm not sure there is a dictionary so you'd have to correct the word without suggestions.

The Beep was driving me crazy. Fortunately, there was an icon near the clock. I right-clicked it and turned off the beep on error. You can also end the program by right-clicking and Exit or Disable.
Chugging coffee and computing!

ron350

Thanks for the help.

I followed those instructions and now have semi spell-check in Notepad and Wordpad. If i want real spellcheck i have to use the old XP machine that has Word. I still only use this win 10 machine for checking my bank account.
Every time I turn the win 10 machine on MS is trying to force me to install some junk i would never use.