MCShield Problems

Started by DR M, July 12, 2019, 09:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR M

I'm using this free program for several years, in fact ... since 2011 when I first came here at LzD, and I was advised by Corrine to use it. It is a program recommended to protect a computer from infected usb sticks, a resident drive detector and scanner, meant not just to block the autorun.inf, but also to clean the malicious files from the drive.

BUT: Since the last Windows update (July 9, 2019—KB4507453), the program creates errors during it's run:

• As soon as I log in Windows: attachment 1
  • When I insert a usb stick in the computer: attachment 2

In spite of the error pop up, it seems that the program does make the scan, since it says that no malware detected on the inserted drives.

Searching about this issue, I went to MCShield's forum. The language is Bosnian, so I used the Google translator, and saw that this problem started a few days ago, concerning both, Windows 7 and Windows 10 computers (page 12). So, I don't know if the Windows update is really the source of the problem or just a coincidence.

In the forum, a user says that when he pasted a downloaded vbscript.dll in the program's folder, the problem was solved. Another user says that sfc /scannow helped him to overcome the problem.

I tried the sfc /scannow, after I ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (I have Windows 10, so it is recommended using DISM first, restore the Windows image, and then run sfc to fix corrupted files from the restored image), but the problem is not solved.

I also ran FRST to have a look to the errors created and got this:

Application errors:
==================
Error: (07/12/2019 11:07:50 AM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: mcshieldds.exe, version: 3.0.5.43, time stamp: 0x51103f08
Faulting module name: vbscript.dll, version: 5.812.10240.16384, time stamp: 0xd56d6774
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00027857
Faulting process ID: 0x26b8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d53888e58e3b44
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\MCShield\mcshieldds.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\vbscript.dll

Report ID: b2b23768-ac40-4aee-8d7f-bd4fd676f207
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I don't know if anyone of you ran into this problem too and found a solution. I like this program and I would like to continue using it. Unless there is an alternative, doing the same job.

Any ideas?
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

ky331

Just to confirm that I --- and several others --- have experienced the same issue with McShield since the Windows Updates on 9 July.   In my case, on 10 different systems (1 win7; 9 win10).

I have posted in the avast forum, as McShield was followed/recommended by some people there (and since their forum is in English):  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=196168.msg1511902#msg1511902

Since the issue is with the McShieldDS.exe file (DS= Drive Scanner), I have to question whether the results generated can be trusted... and more significantly, whether the program can seriously malfunction and cause damage to my system(s).    As the program is (apparently) no longer supported, that safest choice would be to stop using it.

Pete!

Do you really need it?
Based on some of your previous posts, I got the impression that you use ESET as an AV.

My copy offers to scan any media that I place in a USB drive. One mouse click will start the scan.
If I ignore it, the pop-up goes away by itself.

Specifically: ESET Internet Security, version 12.1.34.0

Corrine

With the last update being v 3.0.5.28: 12th April 2014, it does appear that dr_bora is no longer supporting it. 

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Pete!

You got me curious, so I poked around.
I just changed the ESET "Advanced Options" to scan automatically when I insert removable media.
It was set (by default ?) to "show scan options".

While it's always nice to get a second opinion, if you're using ESET, considering the above comments of ky331 and Corinne, you may not need it anymore.

DR M

Quote from: Pete! on July 12, 2019, 07:42:48 PM
You got me curious, so I poked around.
I just changed the ESET "Advanced Options" to scan automatically when I insert removable media.
It was set (by default ?) to "show scan options".

While it's always nice to get a second opinion, if you're using ESET, considering the above comments of ky331 and Corinne, you may not need it anymore.

I will try to explain, as I understand it: MCShield is doing much more than just scanning the usb drives as soon they are inserted in a computer. By blocking the autorun.inf it prevents any malicious software to run and execute its code. Automatically. But it's not only this. It addresses many other ways that malware can spread into a computer. That's why it is recommended when you have to insert a usb drive from an infected to a healthy computer and vice-versa, during a cleaning malware procedure.

Plus, it was useful to me, because when I collected many usb drives from students, to check assignments, projects etc., it was doing its job by preventing anything bad from being executed into my computer.
Grecian Geek

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

DR M

I'm sorry for the double post. The time for modifying is over...

From MCShield Forum (Google translation):
See here
QuoteI got information from Bobby that if he can find Dr. Bor, try to solve this problem (although they have not been dealing with MCS for years, so there is no guarantee that when and when the problem will be solved).
Grecian Geek

plodr

I have autoplay turned off.
Go here
https://www.lifewire.com/disable-autorun-on-a-pc-153344
and scroll down to Disabling Autoplay in Windows and do the directions for Windows 10.
Chugging coffee and computing!

plodr

The top part of the above link shows how to turn off autorun, which apparently is different than autoplay.
Here's another link to turn off autorun
https://windowsreport.com/disable-autorun-windows-10/

I don't have group policy in three of the Windows computers (Win 7) so I know I didn't use that. But you probably do in Windows 10.
Chugging coffee and computing!

DR M

Quote from: plodr on July 13, 2019, 01:05:38 PM
The top part of the above link shows how to turn off autorun, which apparently is different than autoplay.
Here's another link to turn off autorun
https://windowsreport.com/disable-autorun-windows-10/

It's not only the autorun issue. According to a security expert in another forum,

QuoteMCShield is more complex and addresses other ways to be infected from USB too (eg. LNK method). I'm not aware of any equivalent containing all functions...

Grecian Geek

Corrine

I have learned that the issue was resolved with the latest Windows Updates for Windows 7,Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Versions 1809 and 1903.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

DR M

Quote from: Corrine on July 31, 2019, 06:05:31 PM
I have learned that the issue was resolved with the latest Windows Updates for Windows 7,Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Versions 1809 and 1903.

Yes, the problem is resolved. No warning errors any more.
Grecian Geek