SharePoint

Started by DR M, April 10, 2020, 04:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR M

Can anyone tell me about this application?

It's rather popular these days. I read some things, but I would like some more info about its usage and usefulness.  :)

Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

Aaron Hulett

Generally, it's a document management tool. While it can support extras, like workflows, at the end of the day the heart of it is providing a location to store documents and work on them collaboratively. It supports change controls so if someone comes in and "poorly edits" a document it can be reverted back to a previous copy. It supports permissions, as well as sharing with 'external contacts' (those outside the organization).

Depending on how large the organization is and/or how willing folks are to use it as it's intended, this can either be an awesome tool or a giant pain.

Wikipedia does a good job of giving the layout of the land: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SharePoint

Anything specific you were looking to understand better?