Fun/Heart-warming Stories

Started by Corrine, January 13, 2015, 11:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonnaB

I remember few evenings growing up when my family didn't eat dinner together as a family. That gathering was the "glue" that bonded us a family unit. Dinner was the time for slowing down, sharing stories, discussing the day's events and talking about tomorrow. We'd laugh, we'd listen, we'd encourage each other. As a child, it gave me a sense of unity and stability in that present time, and memories that I carried with me for the rest of my life. I did my best to pass along that tradition when I got married and had a family of my own.

Thanks for sharing Panos. :hug:

Donna :)
"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought."
Tom Robbins

DonnaB

Faith ~ It's all about believing.

You don't know how it will happen, but you know it will.

Keep your faith alive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnTFspqQZQ0
"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought."
Tom Robbins

rvijay07

About 6 weeks ago I rescued a pigeon, now he is very glad and doesn't wish to leave.
The entire experience is recorded here:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/general-10/a-sad-story-4175616539/

Corrine

Wow!  That has certainly been quite the experience.  I wish Paul well. 

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

DR M

Well, I know that this is out of the blue, but I was thinking a lot these days... No fun or heart warming stories in real life. I mean among people. They are so few, one in a million to happen. When you are in a difficulty, no one cares. People become so bad when they want to hurt you. Heart warm stories? Only in fairy tails.
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

plodr

We had a nice news story right before the holidays.

A 6 year old little boy kept telling his mother he didn't want anything for Christmas that all he wanted was to help others. (This isn't the first time this little boy has done this. We met him at some event we were out a year ago and donated something because he was collecting to help others at that time). If my memory serves me correctly, he was collected money and donated it to something like the Red Cross, that helps victims in disasters.

QuoteSix-year-old Jermaine Edwards set out to collect coloring books and crayons for sick children.
He collected more than 800 coloring books, which he and some volunteers dropped off at one of the local hospitals.

Chugging coffee and computing!

DR M

Two posts above, I expressed an opinion about heart warming stories. I was angry about something happened to me, so ... I wrote that thing!  :o  I'm taking it back and you can delete that post! Today, I will write about a story that I think is heart warming enough, to make every one smile. It's about an old friend of mine. I had months to hearing from him. He was not answering my calls, he was not replying to my emails. He sent me an email a few days ago. I post a part of it, having my friend's permission as no personal data are included. I tried to do my best with the translation.

''...The last couple of years were difficult for me for many and different reasons. OK, I know that my difficulties are not as big as others, and perhaps bigger problems are going to occur in the future, but the fact is that I had to struggle. Anyway... For two months, I got into a strange condition. No mood for doing anything or talking to anybody. Feeling useless, unsafe, and as the cause of others unhappiness. No one of my family and friends realized what I was passing through. For them, I was the one who reads all the time, trying to finish something. I was drinking every morning, just to start the day without remembering anything (although this is a lie, because the more you drink, the more you remember everything), then sleeping, then trying to talk to my computer. No courage for asking for help. And no one knew. Except from one person. She was an internet friend. I started talking with her, for another thing, and she didn't need more than one message to realize that I was not OK. What are you doing these days? she asked. It seems that you are still depressed from all that happened and you make me very concerned... You are too young to shut your self off the world... You need an outlet, something to take your mind off what happened [...] I'll be fine, I said, as I started seeing that someone was there for me. And her answer: You better be fine or I will reach across the waters and slap you, silly! Get off that track right now and find yourself! That was a shock for me. I cried a lot that day. Her words are still in my ears. I felt God's Love, in that woman's concern. And decided that I had to do my best to get out of this condition, before it was too late. I scared in the thought of the possibility of passing a depression. And I stopped thinking that the world goes around me. Now, two weeks after, I feel much better. I found my outlet, but it's better to say that ... the outlet came and found me! There are still really difficult times, because a fact is a fact and doesn't change, but at least I understood that things sometimes just happen. We may make mistakes, people do mistakes, but the life is going on. It's up to us to correct the mistakes, if we can, and keep building. It's strange, because often we advise others to go out and find real friends, but a virtual real friend helped me to start the recovery procedure. And I'm sure, she did not understand anything of what she did! Wish me luck for now and on!''

Well, this is my friend's story, and I wish I was the one he helped him. I share it with you, because you are my virtual friends, and I would like to say that every message, every good thought, every word of what we say to others, matters, even though the communication is taking place through a computer. Have this in mind. :)

P.S. My signature below, is my friend's conclusion.

Grecian Geek

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

Corrine

It seems to me that your previous post needs to stay in order to get the full impact of the story about your friend, a story that I believe most assuredly impacted you and changed your outlook as well.  It is indeed heart-warming that your friend was able to find an outlet and that a "virtual friend" was able to help him.  ❤

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

DR M

This is an old video (2012) I found as I was looking for something else. I find it very powerful, so I considered that it could have its position here. Some people have really an amazing power inside them.

Cross-country skier Janine Shepherd hoped for an Olympic medal -- until she was hit by a truck during a training bike ride. She shares a powerful story about the human potential for recovery. Her message: you are not your body, and giving up old dreams can allow new ones to soar.

A broken body isn't a broken person | TED Talk
Grecian Geek

Corrine

Saying "WOW!" after watching that video just isn't anywhere near close to enough.  Powerful, inspirational, influential, emotional . . . What happened to her and what she accomplished applies not only to people in related circumstances but also to people who have fallen on hard times due to job or family situations. 

"RAISE YOUR STRAW!"

Ria

I have read all these stories here. They are really heart warming. Especially the last one teaches me not to complain about small and insignificant problems I often have to pass through... There is always someone with bigger problems than you and there is always someone who despite his difficulties can inspire and give you lessons for a whole life. This girl is a hero of life, but she is a human like me, like all of us. We all have something to take from her story...

Corrine

Quote from: Ria on September 03, 2018, 04:37:00 PM
We all have something to take from her story...
You are so very, very right, Ria.  When I followed the link and saw how long the video was, I thought to myself that I'd probably listen to a couple minutes of it and then close the browser tab where it was playing.  Those initial thoughts were so very wrong and your words captured it completely, "We all have something to take from her story..."  It is definitely worth less than 20 minutes to listen to her.

DR M

The short film, entitled "My Brother", shows how inhospitable Greek cities are to people with disabilities. But it starts somewhat ... upside down. In the first few minutes, the protagonist is a young man who holds a crow and breaks what he finds in his path. On the contrary, people drink their coffee, they are hurrying, cars are passing quickly in the light of Christmas scenery. The young man ends up to the police station.

Watch what caused his reaction.

My Brother

I think that the story becomes heart warming at the end, as the hug between the two brothers is everything.

Let's stand for a minute and think of all those people with disabilities, especially these days of happiness.
Grecian Geek

DR M

I have been sent this link, about this man's wedding dance. I think it has a place here.

https://www.facebook.com/mrwhitec/videos/10205430747805989/

No Facebook account required.

Grecian Geek

Corrine

Yes, it definitely has a place here, Panos!