Daylight Saving Time Arrives Sunday in the States

Started by Corrine, March 10, 2018, 05:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corrine

Yes, it is Daylight Saving Time (DST) once again and I am still advocating a compromise of 1/2 time -- turn the clocks ahead 1/2 hour in the Spring (even though March 11 is a bit ahead of Spring) and then leave them alone! 

As M3 Sweatt notes in Daylight Saving Time Arrives Sunday in the States: Prepare to Spring Forward and lose some sleep – Satisfy Me,
Quotethere is only one "S" in the term "Daylight Savings Time.
That's correct.  It is "Saving" not "SavingS". 

Since I doubt the powers that be will adopt my 1/2-time suggestion, I agree with M3 Sweatt that we should do away with the changes and remain on daylight saving time as discussed by Angela Chen in We should keep Daylight Savings Time forever.

As to adjustments to your computer, smart phone, cable/satellite service, etc. nothing is needed on your part.  Electric alarm clocks, stove, microwave and other "non-smart" devices need to be set ahead one hour.  I always "make the rounds" an hour or so before going to bed so I can start the mental process of adjusting to the time change.

What are your thoughts about the time change?

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Corrine

By the way, if you notice that the forum time does not match the correct current time, it can be changed on your profile.

At the top of the forum, click "Profile".  Under "Modify Profile" select "Look and Layout".  Click "auto detect", scroll to the bottom of the age and click "Change profile".

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Pete!

The "time" is just a convenient way of coordinating with the rest of the world.

As a retiree, I just get up when I'm rested, eat when I'm hungry, and go to bed when I'm tired.

When I was working, all my employers were running 24/7 operations. My hours were whatever it took to get the job done. With the exception of "meetings", if something had to be done, the time of day or night was irrelevant.

Having said that, I've already changed all the clocks in my home, except my wristwatch. I'll change that tomorrow. 

ky331

DR M

''Summer Time'' as we call it, will be applied on the 25th of March in Europe. So the time difference between you and me will become smaller for a few days. I don't like the time change. Also I don't agree that we should keep DST forever. Most of the jobs start at 7:30 a.m. here, so people would have to get prepared in the darkness, having in mind that we are the the easternmost island in the Mediterranean.
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

Aaron Hulett

And therein lies the challenge. If you keep it forward, it's not great for a group. If you keep it back, it's not great for a group. If you flip it forward and back, it's not great either.

Which group will be ok with getting the short end of the stick?

Corrine

Thus, my suggestion for 1/2-time.  It is a compromise, providing an additional 1/2 hour of daylight in the morning as well as the evening.  Plus, people (and pets) no longer need to adjust to the time change. 

I didn't mind going to work in the dark as much as I minded going home in the dark and not having any evening daylight left. 

DR M

Quote from: Corrine on March 10, 2018, 08:53:50 PM
I didn't mind going to work in the dark...

But that would not be easy for the children, especially for the smallest children (Kindergarten and the first classes of Primary School). And of course for the teachers, and for students' achievement etc....

QuoteAs a retiree, I just get up when I'm rested, eat when I'm hungry, and go to bed when I'm tired.

I like this. :)

Grecian Geek

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

Corrine

Yup, Pete has the right attitude.  (Too bad my dog doesn't think the same way.  :D  )

pastywhitegurl

They've already show that the time change every spring is a health hazard.  More heart attacks and traffic accidents happen on the spring time change than any other day of the year.

That alone should tell people its a bad idea to mess with body clocks.

The people that really have a confusing time of it are in Indiana, where different parts of the state either observe or don't observe the time change.

I hope Florida is successful in getting their time stabilized.  Maybe they will start a trend.

JDBush61

Time. Hmmmmmmm. Time is interesting. I rarely think about time. I often forget which day it is. I sometimes wonder what month it is. Usually, when I wake up, my first thoughts before opening my eyes are "Where am I?" ... "What did I do last night?" ... "Did I kill anyone?" ... "Where's my wallet?" ... "Where's my mobile phone?" Hmmmm. Time. Alcohol. Hmmm.

Working at home, I often forget which country I'm in. No joke. It's odd, maybe. I keep my drapes closed. When I sometimes think about time, I glance at the bottom the drapes. If I see light, I think "OK ... it's now daytime."

Speaking of time, I'm getting pretty tired of constantly hearing about AI. I was telling a friend the other day that I know what's coming, and I DO NOT want to be here in 50 years. No joke. I wish someone would finally get around to making a time machine. I want to go back. I'll be first in line to buy one. '61 .. '71 ... either one would be OK. 2071? No thanks!

Rotary phones ... 13-channel televisions ... mom & pop grocery stores ... cars with an 8-track that run on GASOLINE. That'll work fine. If I run out of gas, I'll stick out my thumb and hitchhike.

One hour up, One hour back. Doesn't really matter to me.
"In an age when mass society has rendered obsolete the qualities of individual courage and independent thought, the oceans of the world still remain, vast and uncluttered, beautiful but unforgiving, awaiting those who will not submit. Their voyages are not an escape, but a fulfillment."

~ THE SLOCUM SOCIETY ~

hayc59

Quote from: Pete! on March 10, 2018, 06:32:20 PM
The "time" is just a convenient way of coordinating with the rest of the world.

As a retiree, I just get up when I'm rested, eat when I'm hungry, and go to bed when I'm tired.

When I was working, all my employers were running 24/7 operations. My hours were whatever it took to get the job done. With the exception of "meetings", if something had to be done, the time of day or night was irrelevant.

Having said that, I've already changed all the clocks in my home, except my wristwatch. I'll change that tomorrow. 

I do the same thing since I retired two years ago!! yea baby

"The most beautiful flower loses her beauty one day, but a hard faithful friend an eternity"
"Beauty that is not hidden to deepest of my soul can be seen that with eyes of the heart"

'Never Forget'

Frands

QuoteAs a retiree, I just get up when I'm rested, eat when I'm hungry, and go to bed when I'm tired.

Just my words :)

I hate the winter time here. Not many hours with daylight here >:(
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
- Confucius
-----
Trend Micro Internet Security

Home Forums:
https://www.landzdown.com/
http://securitygarden.blogspot.dk/
https://www.classicrockforums.com/

DR M

Summer time (DST) is in Europe too, from today.

Happy Independence Day for all the Greeks around the world.

Also, happy name day for Maria, Marios, Evangelia, Evangelos, Panayiota, Panayiotis (Panos)  :)
Grecian Geek

Corrine

All of Europe is celebrating your Name Day, Panos, by adding an extra hour of evening light.  :)   (Not to mention losing an hour of sleep.)