Windows 10 loaded on laptop....

Started by hayc59, January 17, 2020, 06:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corrine

Let's see if this will work:

• Press the Windows key.
  • Type "msconfig" in the Start Search box and press "Enter." Select "Continue" if the User Account Control window appears. Allow the System Configuration Utility to load.
  • Select the "Startup" tab. Uncheck the box next to Avira under "Startup Items." Click "Apply" and then "OK."
  • Allow your system to reboot. This will turn off Avira.
Next, enable Windows Defender Antispyware:

• If Windows Security is in the System Tray, click on it to open it.  If it isn't simply type Windows Security in the search box and select the app.
  • When it launches, select "Virus & threat protection"
  • Under "Virus & threat protection settings", select "manage settings"
  • Set "Real-time protection" to "on"

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

hayc59

"The most beautiful flower loses her beauty one day, but a hard faithful friend an eternity"
"Beauty that is not hidden to deepest of my soul can be seen that with eyes of the heart"

'Never Forget'

hayc59

enable Windows Defender Antispyware...... done

"The most beautiful flower loses her beauty one day, but a hard faithful friend an eternity"
"Beauty that is not hidden to deepest of my soul can be seen that with eyes of the heart"

'Never Forget'

Corrine

Good!  I have learned that the Security Center often contains leftovers of a previously uninstalled security program.  So, let's run FRST once again.

Note: If the tool warns you about the version you're using being an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user. Running it on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

• Please select the entire contents of the code box below, from the "Start::" line to "End::", including both lines.  Right-click and select "Copy ".

start::
closeprocesses:
AS: Avira Antivirus (Enabled - Up to date) {F665F2B2-DF77-27D1-BDD8-9197742422E4}
end::

• Please right-click on FRST/FRST64 to run as administrator.  When the tool opens, click "yes" to the disclaimer.
  • Press the Fix button once and wait.
  • When finished, it will produce a log fixlog.txt in the same folder/directory as FRST/FRST64.exe
  • Please post the log in your next reply.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

hayc59

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64) Version: 18-01-2020
Ran by Gordon & Nancy (21-01-2020 10:23:45) Run:1
Running from C:\Users\Gordon & Nancy\Desktop\Junk
Loaded Profiles: Gordon & Nancy (Available Profiles: Gordon & Nancy)
Boot Mode: Normal
==============================================

fixlist content:
closeprocesses:
AS: Avira Antivirus (Enabled - Up to date) {F665F2B2-DF77-27D1-BDD8-9197742422E4}

Processes closed successfully.
"AS: Avira Antivirus (Enabled - Up to date) {F665F2B2-DF77-27D1-BDD8-9197742422E4}" => removed successfully

The system needed a reboot.

==== End of Fixlog 10:23:47 ====

'Never Forget'

Corrine

Finally!   Thank you for your patience in wading through getting this taken care of.  I'm sure it has been just as frustrating for you as it has been for me.  :)

You mentioned earlier than the laptop is slow.  Well, considering that it is an older device without a lot of RAM, that is likely the reason.  You could keep track of Processes in Task Manager to see if there is a program that is using excessive memory. 

Please do the following to Uninstall FRST

• Right-click on FRST/FRST64, and select Rename.
  • Rename it to Uninstall.exe and press Enter on your keyboard.
  • Double-click on Uninstall.exe. Your computer will restart, and allow it to do so. FRST will now uninstall.

hayc59

one last question or two,... is ccleaner worth using anymore especially on win 10 and is cleanmgr worth it thanks C

'Never Forget'

Corrine

CCleaner is fine for cookies and temp files although in addition to Disk cleanup in Windows 10 Windows 10 includes Storage Sense, as shown in Free up drive space in Windows 10 - Windows Help.  Note, however, from the Addition.txt log that your C: drive has plenty of free space:  Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:464.89 GB) (Free:409.65 GB)

hayc59

'Never Forget'