Re-Check Please

Started by hayc59, October 20, 2020, 05:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayc59

Corrine...same error network
Winchester....No

after the reboot for Corrine I unplugged the usb wifi thing and I get no service at all
I plug it in I have real tight wifi speed can browse anywhere!

The wifi card in the 9/10 laptop is gunny sack and the light on the key board is a burnt orange color, when it was good it was a bright white light
so would a new wifi card work??

THANK YOU ALL FOR SPENDING SO MUCH TIME ON ME!! MEANS ALOT

"The most beautiful flower loses her beauty one day, but a hard faithful friend an eternity"
"Beauty that is not hidden to deepest of my soul can be seen that with eyes of the heart"

'Never Forget'

DR M

First thing first!

I am not an expert. Just ... I love problem solving and solve Rubik's cube.  ;D

So... what I am saying, is what I did as an ordinary user.

The problem here made me think a lot and I'm reading with a lot of curiosity what everyone says.

The first weird thing is that you have internet connection but no connection when trying to activate Malwarebytes.

In the web, as Corrine said, there are many cases where users reported similar errors. One of them, solved the problem by changing a Firewall option. Winchester also referred to Firewall blocking the connection.

I tried to manage Windows Defender Firewall settings, but it is not possible.

Searching, I found a thread in the Malwarebytes forum, talking about managing Windows Firewall. They talked about a free Malwarebytes product which is managed by binisoft right now (https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/253605-windows-firewall/)

The product can be downloaded here: https://www.binisoft.org/wfc

According to the software's description:

QuoteWindows Firewall Control is a powerful tool which extends the functionality of Windows Firewall and provides new extra features which makes Windows Firewall better. It runs in the system tray and allows the user to control the native firewall easily without having to waste time by navigating to the specific part of the firewall.

I downloaded it and went to the Profiles settings (See attachment MBAM2). The default option is Low filtering. I changed it to the recommended Medium filtering, closed it and went to Malwarebytes.

That is what I got: Attachment MBAM1

The same error hay59 is getting when trying to activate the program.

@hay59

From the logs, I noticed that you had installed some Firewall related programs. I can't recall them now. Now they are uninstalled. But it is possible those programs changed some settings, or established their own rules.

Suggestion:

Why not install Windows Firewall Control program and check the Profiles settings? If it is not Low Filtering, then that is how the problem is explained.

Question:

Is there a way to check the same setting in Firewall, without a third party application? I believe it has to do with the Outbound connections. In there, MBAM has to be in the Allow state.

Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

winchester73

Malwarebytes firewall rules: https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038516734-Firewall-Rules-for-Malwarebytes-on-Windows-devices

User Guide: https://www.binisoft.org/pdf/guides/Malwarebytes-WFC-User-Guide.pdf

If you are comfortable doing so, turn off Windows Defender and see if you can activate.  Just be sure to turn it back on after the experiment.

I suppose it would be worth trying to ping the site and see where it is getting hung up.
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

hayc59

None of it worked..I am at the end on this
thank you for your help

"The most beautiful flower loses her beauty one day, but a hard faithful friend an eternity"
"Beauty that is not hidden to deepest of my soul can be seen that with eyes of the heart"

'Never Forget'

DR M

Quote from: hayc59 on November 05, 2020, 06:22:19 PM
None of it worked..I am at the end on this
thank you for your help

Have you downloaded Windows Firewall Control?  https://www.binisoft.org/wfc

What is shown in Profiles setting?
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

hayc59

Yes..Its stated LOWfiltering

'Never Forget'

hayc59

I thank you all, think I am safe and dont need more security program
and windows defender is good to go...I am down with that

8 pages trying to help me is so very humbling and i think enough is enough!
you are all so special I cant thank you enough

Believe me I wish I could afford a new or used newer laptop!!

and in closing this is my...what does it all mean moment

from theses two program spywareblaster and aimp
I get updates just fine through the about check for updates and come just fine
windows defender updates just fine i think...

'Never Forget'

Corrine

Thread closed at G's request. 

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.