Get error message when trying to post or reply to PM

Started by onDvine, July 22, 2014, 05:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onDvine

So will try one more time here to see if it works and maybe can upload a graphic with the error message.

Corrine

Very strange.  I sent you a reply to our earlier PM conversation.  Hopefully you won't have a problem responding since you were able to post here as well as in the WinPatrol forum. 

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

onDvine

Thank you.  My response to your PM appears to have been sent successfully.

onDvine

After successfully replying to your PM, I'm back to being unable to send a PM to someone else.  Same error message as above.  Wonder what the [heck] the problem is.

onDvine

I just sent that other PM so apparently the issue is intermittent.

Corrine

Since I don't know at what point you reached 10 posts, I wonder if you were getting hit by the "60 second rule" where members with fewer than 5 posts had to wait 60 seconds between posts.  This was done to slow down any spammers that made it through our defenses.  After reaching 5 posts, it is only a 5 second wait between posts.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

hayc59

ok a little late I guess. Divine sent Corrine a pm about the pm issue
so sorry I am late
Gordon

"The most beautiful flower loses her beauty one day, but a hard faithful friend an eternity"
"Beauty that is not hidden to deepest of my soul can be seen that with eyes of the heart"

'Never Forget'

Corrine

Better late than never, G! 

One thing I thought of when Gordon asked me about the issue is that I recall having a problem sending a PM to a member who had a different display name than their username.  The display name would come up in the PM field but would generate an error because it wasn't the username.  It was a few years ago though so I don't know if that is still the case.  Regardless, I've never seen an error message like the one in the image.   :uhm:

onDvine

Thanks for coming, G.   I wondered if the site would ever let me post or reply to a PM again, and if not, how would I tell anyone?
Quote from: Corrine on July 22, 2014, 11:53:17 PM... I've never seen an error message like the one in the image. 

I just got the same message again trying to reply to you here.  So am saving this message to a .txt file and will see if repeated efforts get it posted or continue to show the error.  All prior problems were with initial post/reply efforts so couldn't have been too soon.

If someone else enters the URL showing in the address bar (in screen snapshot) when the error message is displayed, do they see the same thing?

Corrine

They shouldn't get that message -- well, neither should you. 

The URL http://www.landzdown.com/pm goes to the member PM inbox.  The first time I went to http://www.landzdown.com/pm/?sa-send2 I ended up at an empty PM message box with a full list of errors:

QuoteThe following error or errors occurred while posting this message. 

Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.
    No recipients specified.
    No subject was filled in.
    The message body was left empty.

Repeating it again, I just went to my PM inbox.  Opening a new tab and pasting the URL also took me to my PM inbox.

Edit Note:  I searched both Bing and Google for "You aren't allowed in here!! Your IP address could be logged" and got nothing!

onDvine

Thank you for checking, Corrine.

If I continue to get the odd error messages will post about them here as the board permits or tell G via another site.  To get my last post (above yours) in this thread, I tried several times in quick succession.

Of course, now that the question about tray icon colors is resolved, it's likely to be awhile before I need to post here again.  WinPatrol has been very stable over the years.

Corrine

The issue you ran into should be resolved now.  Please let us know if you run into further problems.  (I know this isn't your usual hangout but you're most welcome to stop in for a visit even when you don't have a question about WinPatrol.)

winchester73

Fingers crossed that the same "fix" worked for onDvine ...  :)
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

LilBambi

Bambi
AKA Fran
Jim-Fran.com