How To Export All Edge Settings When Sync Not Possible

Started by Boz, August 17, 2020, 12:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boz

Version 84.0.522.59 (Official build) (64-bit)

I'll be switching computers at work, and sync in Edge is disabled by the admin.

I've found how to export Edge favorites and passwords.

I haven't been able to figure out how to export cookies and other browser settings.  How can this be done?

Thanks!

Digerati

The only way I have found this is possible is with Sync. Perhaps you can ask admin to temporarily enable Sync again while you migrate to your new computer.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

Corrine

I located this old discussion but with it being a work computer you may not have the option to Uncheck 'Hide protected OS files'. 
import cookies windows 10 edge browser

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Digerati

That would be with the "old" Edge too. I wonder if it even applies to the Chromium based Edge?
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

Boz

Oh, well.  I thought maybe I was missing something.  At least I was able to export Favorites and Passwords.

I still find a lot of things better about IE, at least for how I use my browser.

Unrelated to this particular issue, but printing selected text and adjusting headers and footers is still many times better (for me) in IE vs Edge.  As long as a webpage that I want to print can render properly in IE, I always use IE to print, either to an actual printer, or to PDF.

v_v

Where does Edge store its profile?  Wherever it is, would it be possible to copy the entire profile to a flash drive and then paste that profile in the corresponding place in the new computer?

I know that I have done that at home with Firefox, SeaMonkey, Pale Moon, and Mypal.  But those are not chromium-based browswers.  I see that my Edge has a folder in C:\Users\[name of use]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\[Edge], but it is hard to tell what the data in that folder represents.  If it is the entire profile then perhaps the suggestion above might work.

Wow, I think that I was on the right track.  Check out the following web page to see if you get any usable ideas:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/159004-how-backup-restore-everything-microsoft-edge-windows.html .  Basically they seem to be saying the same thing that I suggested.  As I said this has worked with the various Gecko- or formerly Gecko-related browsers.  I have not tried it with a chromium-based browser yet.

I work for the state government and we can no longer load from or use a flash drive or at least one that has not been issued by the office.  At the same time though we do have access to storage space on our network.  So in this sort of situation I would copy the Edge profile folder to my particular network folder and then when I get the new machine up and running, simply copy and paste that same folder right back into the same place on the new computer.  It may be worth a try.  Of course BEFORE copying and pasting the old folder I would make a copy of the existing new Edge folder on the new machine to restore later if something goes wrong or does not work right.  Perhaps temporarily renaming the existing new folder would work also.

v_v
Justice, Equity, and Meaningful, Productive, and Fulfilling Lives to All Earthlings

Digerati

Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

Boz