SpywareBlaster Updates Discussion

Started by 2harts4ever, October 29, 2016, 10:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2harts4ever

Hi,

When I started using Windows 10 with the Edge Browser several months ago I stopped using Spyware Blaster after using it for years.

While visiting the forum today I noted that in 2013 winchester73 told what Browsers could use Spyware Blaster and among those listed was Internet Explorer (and browsers that use the IE engine).

So, now I am curious, even though I use Edge as my main browser  and my wife utilizes Firefox should I still be using Spyware Blaster?

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever
" ... Nuff Said.  Keep Smiling Because I'm Smiling Too ..."

Corrine

No, at this point, SpywareBlaster does not support Microsoft Edge.  Microsoft Edge doesn't use the IE engine and doesn't use ActiveX control.  As more extensions are added to Edge, it is possible that SpywareBlaster will support Edge.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

hayc59

2harts..hello
here is a list of what is covered

SpywareBlaster provides protection for your favorite web browser(s):
Internet Explorer
Google Chrome
Mozilla Firefox
Netscape
Seamonkey
Pale Moon
K-Meleon
and browsers that use the IE engine, including:
AOL web browser
Avant Browser
Slim Browser
Maxthon (formerly MyIE2)
Crazy Browser
GreenBrowser
http://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html#Browsers

"The most beautiful flower loses her beauty one day, but a hard faithful friend an eternity"
"Beauty that is not hidden to deepest of my soul can be seen that with eyes of the heart"

'Never Forget'

2harts4ever

Good morning hayc59 and Corrine,

I appreciate both of you taking the time to respond.  It is good to see familiar names from the past.

The reason I asked is because I use Edge and my wife uses Firefox (both on the same computer ... but not at the same time).

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

plodr

It also no longer states how many new items have been added, just gives the total.
Chugging coffee and computing!

pastywhitegurl

Version 5.6 here.  I did have to manually  add the new protections for Google Chrome  after the update. 

hayc59

A little dity from Javacool at wilders

QuoteIf you are seeing no unprotected items after an update, it is indeed because you don't have certain browser(s) installed (example in this particular case: Google Chrome). The number of unprotected items only counts items for browsers you have installed.

The specific formats / items blocked vary per browser, as the browsers have different ways of encoding that information / support different technologies. So there are multiple different block rule lists, and some only apply to certain browsers that support those types of rules.

We still fully support IE, and there will be plenty more items added impacting IE in future updates. So if you're waiting for those IE-impacting updates, no need to worry

QuoteWe do plan to support MS Edge Chromium. I don't have an ETA, but if you'd like to be updated when a beta is available please feel free to PM me.

SpywareBlaster's protection for Chromium / Chrome-type browsers currently supports blocking ad / tracking cookies, and malicious / unwanted / ad / tracking / annoying scripts. One simple example that's more prevalent lately: blocking crypto-mining scripts that secretly harness your CPU (and massively slow down your browser) to mine crypto-currency in the background.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/spywareblaster-5-6-released-google-chrome-firefox-windows-10-and-more.423908/page-3#post-2916769

"The most beautiful flower loses her beauty one day, but a hard faithful friend an eternity"
"Beauty that is not hidden to deepest of my soul can be seen that with eyes of the heart"

'Never Forget'

Corrine

Reminder:

Quote from: siljaline on September 29, 2014, 06:59:38 AM
Note that running SpywareBlaster sets the IE Restricted Zone to a non default setting. Reset to defaults - *HIGH* after every run.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Digerati

I wish it was more specific about what "Enhanced Windows 10 Support" really means.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

pastywhitegurl

Quote from: Corrine on August 14, 2020, 04:33:42 PM
Reminder:

Quote from: siljaline on September 29, 2014, 06:59:38 AM
Note that running SpywareBlaster sets the IE Restricted Zone to a non default setting. Reset to defaults - *HIGH* after every run.

So this means Edge now right?   I disabled IE 11 ages ago, but is it correct that MS is now referring to Edge as IE?  Or more specifically the new Edge?

Digerati

Quote from: pastywhitegurl on August 14, 2020, 08:52:13 PM

So this means Edge now right?
No.
Quote...but is it correct that MS is now referring to Edge as IE?
Definitely no!
QuoteOr more specifically the new Edge?
Ummm, no again.

Do not confuse Edge with IE. IE is dead (kinda, sorta). Or at least MS wishes it was dead and is trying to forget it. I have not heard of anyone referring to Edge as IE - except, now you! Don't do that! You'll confuse me! ;)

When Windows 10 first came out, it included a browser that was clearly half-baked - literally, an "unfinished" browser called Edge. It really was unfinished. Many of the features didn't work. It didn't support add-ons or extensions. It was bad. Really bad. It's only virtue was that it was pretty quick. Other than that, it was bad.

It was so bad, Microsoft totally abandoned it! Seriously! Instead, they decided to go with a totally new browser that was based on Chromium. Then they actually went into a partnership with Google so this new browser could use the vast majority of Chrome's add-ons and extensions (actually, that's a good thing). But instead of calling it a brand new name, they decided to follow Microsoft's tradition of using similarly confusing naming schemes. So they decided to call this brand new browser that was replacing Edge, and totally different from that old Edge, "Edge"! Makes sense, huh?

Unofficially, they call it the "new" Edge. But make no mistake, it is totally different from the "old" Edge and totally different from IE.

This is sort of like the original Windows Defender was an antispyware only program for Windows 7. But - when Windows 8 came out and later with W10, it included Windows Defender which was a full fledge anti-malware solutions. Two different programs in development at the same time with the same name.::)

It is sort of like, kinda sorta, but not really how there is an Outlook Express, Outlook and Outlook.com - 3 totally different email programs with very similar names.

Clear as mud, huh? If that makes sense to you, come back and explain it to me.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

Corrine

In addition, Microsoft Edge (Chromium) was just added to SpywareBlaster.  That said, as Bill explained, Microsoft Edge is not the same as IE.  It is based on open-source Chromium (in other words, more closely related to Chrome than IE). 

Bottom line, if you have Restricted sites added to Microsoft Edge, open Control Panel > Internet Options > Security and click on Restricted sites.  If the setting has been changed from "High" after updating SpywareBlaster, you'll need to reset it.

2harts4ever

Hi Corrine,

Long time no see.  I actually had no idea Edge was even supported by Spyware Blaster until your response to this subject.  Thanks for the heads up.  Now that I know Edge is under the wing of Spyware Blaster I will make sure the settings in Edge's Restricted Sites are still set at 'High' after Blaster updates.

Hope all is well with you and yours.  I'm still getting older and dumber but trying to keep up with the younger crowd.

Stay safe!

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

plodr

One change I noticed on my Windows 7 computer is that now Vivaldi is listed and I was able to add protection to it.
Chugging coffee and computing!

ky331

Edge (Chromium), Vivaldi, and Brave are newly-supported browsers, as of SpywareBlaster 6.0, released just a few days ago.