Mysterious PluginModule file appeared on desktop

Started by pastywhitegurl, July 01, 2022, 09:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR M

Hi, PWG.

This is a test for a reply to the topic.
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

pastywhitegurl

Since I can't post the FIX log in the topic, I'm going to try adding it as an attachment.

DR M

OK, thank you.

All is good.

Is there any remaining question/issue/concern?
Grecian Geek

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

pastywhitegurl

Thank you so much for your help.  My computer is running at normal speeds again and reboot is much faster now.  Whatever corruption was fixed appears to have made a big difference.  I haven't noticed any problems from removing the printer related programs.  Printer is still hearing commands and printing.

I am planning to order the 4   2GB RAM memory sticks from the Amazon link you posted.  I didn't realize it possible or that it was so inexpensive to double my RAM.  Such good news!   In the reviews, people reported the sticks can be different manufacturers.   Is it still ok to order if they are not Dell products?

I'm a little apprehensive about opening up my computer to change out the memory sticks. Especially with replacing all instead of just adding.  Seems like a lot could go wrong.   But I guess I can post again if I have a problem with it. 

pastywhitegurl

Oh..... the programs I downloaded :
FRST64.exe
CrucialScan
AdwCleaner

Should I keep any of those?    If not, can they just go in the recycle bin, or is there a special way to uninstall?

DR M

Hi, PWG.

Seeing more carefully your attached fixlog.txt, I realized that there was a missing directive (I forgot the CMD: at the beginning of the line) which led to this:

type C:\ProgramData\NTUSER.pol => Error: No automatic fix found for this entry.

However, after reading a discussion about this elsewhere, it seems that even if I wrote the command correctly, the output would be unreadable. It is something that is already reported to the FRST creator and it will be fixed soon.

In any case, the policies set in your computer comes from SpywareBlaster, so I won't ask you to do anything more about them right now.

=======================

Regarding your questions:

QuoteI am planning to order the 4   2GB RAM memory sticks from the Amazon link you posted.  I didn't realize it possible or that it was so inexpensive to double my RAM.  Such good news!   In the reviews, people reported the sticks can be different manufacturers.   Is it still ok to order if they are not Dell products?

The price goes up depending on how much RAM you buy. Sticks of 2GB are the cheaper. Yes, it's OK to buy RAM from manufacturers other than DELL.

QuoteI'm a little apprehensive about opening up my computer to change out the memory sticks. Especially with replacing all instead of just adding.  Seems like a lot could go wrong.   But I guess I can post again if I have a problem with it.

Of course!

QuoteShould I keep any of those?    If not, can they just go in the recycle bin, or is there a special way to uninstall?

The following tool will remove the tools we used as well as reset system restore points:

Download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• Right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log will open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.
  • Please copy and paste its contents in your next reply.
Grecian Geek

pastywhitegurl

RAM is ordered. I'm excited that my computer can get faster, even as an old workhorse. ^_^
kprm tool has been run

Question:  I previously sent the folders with the 2 older versions of FRST to the recycle bin. They are still there after running the kprm tool.   Can I delete them from there?

=========================
# Run at 7/6/2022 1:34:42 PM
# KpRm (Kernel-panik) version 2.9.3
# Website https://kernel-panik.me/tool/kprm/
# Run by Helena from C:\Users\Helena\Desktop
# Computer Name: HELENA-PC
# OS: Windows 10 X64 (19044)
# Number of passes: 1

- Checked options -

~ Registry Backup
    ~ Delete Tools
    ~ Restore System Settings
    ~ UAC Restore
    ~ Delete Restore Points
    ~ Create Restore Point
    ~ Delete Quarantines

- Create Registry Backup -

~ [OK] Hive C:\WINDOWS\System32\config\SOFTWARE backed up
   ~ [OK] Hive C:\Users\Helena\NTUSER.dat backed up

[OK] Registry Backup: C:\KPRM\backup\2022-07-06-13-34-41

- Delete Tools -

## AdwCleaner
     [OK] C:\Users\Helena\Desktop\AdwCleaner.exe deleted
     [OK] C:\AdwCleaner deleted

## FRST
     [OK] C:\Users\Helena\Desktop\FRST64.exe deleted
     [OK] C:\FRST deleted

- Restore System Settings -

[OK] Reset WinSock
     [OK] FLUSHDNS
     [OK] Hide Hidden file.
     [OK] Show Extensions for known file types
     [OK] Hide protected operating system files

- Restore UAC -

[OK] Set EnableLUA with default (1) value
     [OK] Set ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin with default (5) value
     [OK] Set ConsentPromptBehaviorUser with default (3) value
     [OK] Set EnableInstallerDetection with default (0) value
     [OK] Set EnableSecureUIAPaths with default (1) value
     [OK] Set EnableUIADesktopToggle with default (0) value
     [OK] Set EnableVirtualization with default (1) value
     [OK] Set FilterAdministratorToken with default (0) value
     [OK] Set PromptOnSecureDesktop with default (1) value
     [OK] Set ValidateAdminCodeSignatures with default (0) value

- Clear Restore Points -

~ [OK] RP named b4 telegram install created at 06/14/2022 01:02:49 deleted
   ~ [OK] RP named b4 MB restart created at 06/23/2022 16:55:46 deleted
   ~ [OK] RP named Windows Modules Installer created at 06/29/2022 03:45:08 deleted
   ~ [OK] RP named Windows Modules Installer created at 06/29/2022 04:03:00 deleted
   ~ [OK] RP named Windows Modules Installer created at 06/29/2022 04:11:10 deleted
   ~ [OK] RP named b4LandzdownFix created at 07/02/2022 13:38:11 deleted
   ~ [OK] RP named AdwCleaner_BeforeCleaning_03/07/2022_13:48:48 created at 07/03/2022 18:48:56 deleted
   ~ [OK] RP named Removed Windows PC Health Check created at 07/03/2022 19:24:18 deleted
   ~ [OK] RP named Removed PDF Viewer. created at 07/03/2022 19:36:44 deleted
   ~ [OK] RP named Removed Image Retriever. created at 07/03/2022 19:38:19 deleted
   ~ [OK] RP named Removed PaperPort. created at 07/03/2022 19:40:35 deleted
   ~ [OK] RP named Removed PaperPort. created at 07/04/2022 20:09:36 deleted
   ~ [OK] RP named Removed PaperPort Image Printer. created at 07/04/2022 20:13:24 deleted
   ~ [OK] RP named Removed OmniPage. created at 07/04/2022 20:14:37 deleted
     [OK] All system restore points have been successfully deleted

- Create Restore Point -

[OK] System Restore Point created

- Display System Restore Point -

~ RP named KpRm created at 07/06/2022 18:37:13

-- KPRM finished in 208.32s --

DR M

Hi. :)

Yes, you can empty the Recycle bin now.

As to the RAM, perhaps faster is not the actual word. But for sure, the computer will "breathe", since you will gain sufficient resources to run your programs.
Grecian Geek

pastywhitegurl

I've removed a few more programs and have a couple more questions about that.

I removed several X-Box related apps from the start menu list.  But it the uninstall button is grayed out for XBox Gamer Bar, so I can't uninstall.  How would I go about that? Or does it not matter?  After I tried to uninstall it, I got a pop up screen from the right side from it that I've never seen before, but it closed too quickly for me to tell what it was other than I saw Xbox on it.

Also HP Smart App is in that list too but not on the appwiz list where I uninstalled the other programs. Is that because this and Xbox apps are windows apps?   And I want to make sure HP Smart has nothing to do with running my Xerox printer before I uninstall it.  I checked it out online, but I am still unsure.  I might have had an HP inkjet printer eons ago, but I can't verify that.

Thanks for any guidance!

DR M

Hi, PWG.

Programs/apps with no uninstallers are listed only in the Start menu.

I don't see a connection between HP Smart App and Xerox printer, so I believe you can uninstall it.

As to the XBox Gamer Bar, try this:

• In the Search area type Powershell.
  • When the item appears, choose to run it as administrator.
  • Copy and paste the following command in the blue window:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxApp | Remove-AppxPackage

• Wait until the process is finished.
  • Exit.
Grecian Geek

pastywhitegurl

Thanks.
HP Smart uninstalled without event.

However After I pasted the code in the powershell box and clicked "enter", the last line immediately appeared with the flashing dot that shows where to add the command .  I assume that means it is done with whatever it was going to do but I've not exited yet.  However, the  Xbox Gamer Bar is still in the start menu program list.

DR M

Most possibly the Powershell command  I gave you above did nothing at all. It seems that there isn't any official way to uninstall it.

There are some ways online, but I wouldn't use them.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_uninstall_the_game_bar_in_windows_10.html
https://gist.github.com/joshschmelzle/04c57d957c5bb92e85ae9180021b26dc#:~:text=and%20looking%20there.-,Press%20Windows%20Key%20or%20click%20on%20the%20Start%20menu.,the%20Xbox%20Game%20Bar%20app.&text=Scroll%20down%20and%20click%20Uninstall,for%20the%20process%20to%20finish.

I didn't try Revo Uninstaller so I can't recommend it to you.

In any case, I wouldn't bother and would just let it be.  :)

Perhaps someone else who is reading us would like to say something on that.

Grecian Geek

winchester73

Beginning with Build 10.0.18362 (19H1), the uninstall button for the Xbox Game Bar is greyed out in the Settings app. I guess Microsoft doesn't want it officially uninstalled, as evidenced by how difficult they've made it to uninstall built-in apps.

I'm not sure you gain anything by trying to uninstall it via all the online tips/tricks, registry edits, etc (PowerShell commands cannot be undone).  It may be a self-healing service in Windows and get "repaired" without intervention, it may also install itself automatically on Windows upgrades.  If so, you'll be fighting this battle continuously.
Best I can suggest ... turn it off:

Open the Start menu
    Click the small "gear" icon to open Settings
    Click Gaming
    Under Xbox Game Bar settings, turn off the switch "Enable Xbox Game Bar for things like ...".  Also uncheck the "Open Game bar using this button on a controller" option.  That will at least disable the Xbox Game Bar
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

pastywhitegurl

Thanks.  I've turned off all the functions in the settings for Xbox Game Bar as suggested.  That should be fine.

I intended to attach this screen shot to my last response so you could see how the powershell box looked.

After what Winchester said, I think I'm glad the command did nothing.

DR M

I have tried the command and it removed the other XBox app installed, which you already uninstalled. The command didn't do anything regarding the Game Bar.

As to the Turn Off option, I'm not sure what it does.

Anyway, as mentioned above,

QuoteI'm not sure you gain anything by trying to uninstall it via all the online tips/tricks, registry edits, etc (PowerShell commands cannot be undone).  It may be a self-healing service in Windows and get "repaired" without intervention, it may also install itself automatically on Windows upgrades.  If so, you'll be fighting this battle continuously.
Grecian Geek