SpeedyFox

Started by plodr, December 23, 2019, 04:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digerati

I still prefer PM too. But uBlock Origin is bugging more and more lately - especially with search results. Oh well. That too is OT.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

satrow

Quote from: Digerati on December 23, 2019, 10:41:06 PM
QuoteBut I contend if you saw improvement, chances are others with the same browser settings will too. How much will certainly vary machine to machine and there will also certainly be some who see no change at all.
FTFY.

Do a quick check on one variable: -> about:support > Application Basics > Profile Folder > Open Folder. What's the combined size of the .sqlite files there? For reference, mine were attached earlier.

Minimal Bookmarks and no saved history would likely be smaller than my 20MB, a large number of Bookmarks and years of history saved would likely be larger, eg. my alt PC's working Profile contains more than 71MB of .sqlite files.

Digerati

I quoted you where you said "same browser settings" so I don't know what it is you feel you fixed. Regardless, I said what I intended to say so from my perspective, nothing has changed.

Again, was not making a statement of fact. I said "I'd be interested in seeing... ." and "chances are... ." Truth be told, I'm no longer interested. I have preparations to make for the kids and grandkids tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to all!
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

plodr

@Satrow Thanks for explaining that Strg = Ctrl

@Corrine, I've used AM Deadlink with no problem though I don't know how well it works in Win 10.
https://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm

I'm not sure what version is installed.  I looked at the tabs under property but the only thing useful was the date in July 2017. I'm sure it isn't the latest.I also have it on my start menu rather than as an extension inside the browser where it used to work.

I forgot to mention, I ran SpeedyFox. I haven't fired up FF enough to offer a review. In fact, because FF is so slow, I have a blank page as my start page. I'll change that and see if I notice a speed difference.
Chugging coffee and computing!

plodr

I found folder where I put the actual versions of AM Deadlink. I have v 4.6 and 4.7 so 4.7 is what I currently have installed. I've downloaded 4.8 and will install that then run it.

plodr

Here's why I switched to Palemoon. I set both browsers to open 1 tab, my home page. I've run SpeedyFox so it is supposed to speed up things.
Firefox took 47 seconds to fully load Protopage. Palemoon took 20 seconds.
This was done with a timer where I clicked the browser with my right hand and pushed the start button on the digital timer with my left hand.

FF has 34 bookmarks on my Bookmarks Toolbar; Palemoon has 59.

Looking at AM Deadlink, I have 272 bookmarks. That might be a combination of all the browsers I have on this computer.

satrow

Due to the way Windows caches files previously opened on a per session basis, software will load faster on a reload than from the first run of the session. My estimation for PMs load time improvement was based on the 3rd of 4 reloads during that session.

SpeedyFox also cleans up (doesn't remove valid entries) History so any differences in History settings between browsers might have greater impact than Bookmarks alone (you can gauge the likely impact by comparing the places.sqlite file sizes in the browsers Profiles).

I don't think AM Deadlink will use the Pale Moon Bookmarks, after a couple of attempts to force it I see the same number of entries as when it defaults to Firefox (+ IE and Chrome/Vivaldi/Opera if found) .

Corrine

QuoteI don't think AM Deadlink will use the Pale Moon Bookmarks
If you export your Pale Moon bookmarks as an HTML file, you can then select that option with AM Deadlink.  It didn't find any dead links for me though.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.