Any ham radio operators?

Started by Aaron Hulett, April 25, 2020, 06:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Hulett

Been working on this project the last few days - if you're a ham and can participate in the NTS, I'd enjoy getting some traffic from you :)

https://www.ntstrivia.com/ - Have fun answering trivia questions to build points while practicing and building your traffic handling skills in the ARRL National Traffic System!

73 de K8AMH

xrobwx71

I was into (don't be mad ;) ) CB back in the 80-90's. I had a nice set up in the house and in my vehicle. I had a (I can't remember the brand) it had SSB and I was able to "skip" some nights and talk to guys in texas from Florida.

i've always wanted to get into HAM but never did. I lost interest in radio when I got my first computer in 1995.

I recently purchased a RTL-SDR usb receiver with the intent of listening to scanner frequencies. I got the software setup SDRSharp and Unitrunk but haven't had the time to get it to work.

Aaron Hulett

Not mad about CB - I don't get why so many hams dislike CBers - and I have some CB gear yet.

We're seeing that skip now on 2 meters, which usually with a mobile radio can go about 30~50 miles, but we're getting cross-country from Florida to New Mexico (but not sure if they're pushing 100 watts, the max on 2 meters).

Lots of folks are getting into software defined radio, but I didn't venture that way. Not yet, anyway. Right now the majority of my ham gear is in storage while we build our house, so 2-meter radio it is (and I'm happy to have it here in the apartment!).

xrobwx71

I should add, I had a 500 watt amplifier behind those skips to Texas. They didn't last long either. I could hold a fluorescent bulb in my hand, stand near the antenna, key the mic and the bulb would glow in my hand.

In the 90's here in Florida, you couldn't hardly use a CB without an amp as everybody would "walk" over you.

Lots of stuff I have forgotten about as it's been so long. I used to know some of the math behind the antenna stuff and I had an SWR meter. I actually wish I had kept that stuff.