Winpatrol will not display Cookies

Started by joe935, November 16, 2020, 03:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe935

I can click on ever tab in Winpatrol except the cookies tab, The program exits, error log shows error code 1000:
Faulting application name: WinPatrolEx.exe, version: 35.5.2017.8, time stamp: 0x590fc503
Faulting module name: WinPatrolEx.exe, version: 35.5.2017.8, time stamp: 0x590fc503
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000055ec
Faulting process id: 0xcd4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6bc297b7d8bc3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files2 (x86)\WinPatrol\WinPatrolEx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files2 (x86)\WinPatrol\WinPatrolEx.exe
Report Id: 7fc69003-bcf3-438d-9bd0-1ddd1d5ade3e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

error code 1001:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: WinPatrolEx.exe
P2: 35.5.2017.8
P3: 590fc503
P4: WinPatrolEx.exe
P5: 35.5.2017.8
P6: 590fc503
P7: c0000005
P8: 000055ec
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_WinPatrolEx.exe_40569363bda33ef48eeb2fa616ab7f29bad3cec4_9b46e5e5_088aa3e4-1381-4e58-8930-272e4c9b330d

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Status: 4
Hashed bucket:
Cab Guid: 0

Report:
Faulting application name: WinPatrolEx.exe, version: 35.5.2017.8, time stamp: 0x590fc503
Faulting module name: WinPatrolEx.exe, version: 35.5.2017.8, time stamp: 0x590fc503
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000055ec
Faulting process id: 0xcd4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6bc297b7d8bc3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files2 (x86)\WinPatrol\WinPatrolEx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files2 (x86)\WinPatrol\WinPatrolEx.exe
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

OS is windows 10 Version 20H2 build 19042.630

Digerati

It does not work right.

I can click on the Cookies tab, but the only cookies I can see is with Google Chrome and I have not even used Chrome since I last cleaned out all my cookies. So clearly those are for the new Edge which is Chromium based.

When I select IE or Edge, it says there are none. And when I try to see Mozilla Based cookies, WinPatrol just exits. So the feature is hosed.

If you want to clean your cookies, I recommend you just use your browser's cleaning features. Or if you want to clear all cookies from Windows, go to your Start menu and in the search box, start entering, Internet options. Click that when it appears and under Browsing history, click Delete... and follow the prompts.

Or you can use CCleaner to clean out all your cookies. I prefer CCleaner because it lets me choose which cookies I want to keep. So, for example, I can tell it to keep LandzDown cookies so I don't have to enter my username and password to log in after cleaning. I have CCleaner set to keep all the cookies for the sites I visit regularly, except those for my bank for obvious reasons.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

plodr

WinPatrol is useless; best to uninstall it.

Info on the "company" https://www.corporationwiki.com/p/2f4451/ruiware-llc

If you want to examine cookies, get an addon/extension for your browsers. That's a good way to see what is on, what to remove and what to save.

Post your browsers and I'm sure someone can recommend something useful.
Chugging coffee and computing!

Digerati

It is not useless but it sure is not as functional as it used to be. I actually like it when "Scotty" barks at me to alert me to a new program that's trying to insert itself as a new start up program - especially since so many attempt to do that without my permission.  >:(

And I like how it does that job so unobtrusively, without hogging resources or adding a bunch of junk I don't need or want. Until something else comes along that does the same, I will keep it sitting in my system tray.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

joe935

I use Ccleaner to clear cookies, it works well. I posted because Winpatrol is not working at all for cookies. In fact the cookies window closes immediately. I was hoping that winpatrol would give me more information on an individual cookie.

Digerati

Well, I don't think it ever did that. Interestingly, now when I click on the Cookies tab, it closes immediately too. So I cannot even look at Chrome cookies like I could a couple hours ago.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

Corrine

Although there are features of WinPatrol that still work, the last update to WinPatrol was Version 35.5.2017.8 in May, 2017, with several fixes to better align with Windows 10 which was after Windows 10 version 1703 was released.  Consider that Windows 10 version reached end of support a year ago and there have been 7 Windows 10 versions released in the interim.

Anyone not familiar with that happened in 2017, may want to see the discussion at WinPatrol.com down.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

winchester73

Quote from: joe935 on November 16, 2020, 06:47:45 PM
I was hoping that winpatrol would give me more information on an individual cookie.

In the Cookie tab you could view the text within the cookie (to help set your blocks), but I never really used that feature.  I'm not sure what kind of information you are trying to get on an individual cookie.

NirSoft makes a pretty good program for various browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox):  https://www.nirsoft.net/search_freeware_result_new.html?q=cookies

Given how out of date WinPatrol has become (think of the operating system changes and new browsers in the 3.5 years since the program was last updated), and the lack of support for it, I don't find Scotty's barking worth keeping on my systems.
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

Digerati

QuoteIn the Cookie tab you could view the text within the cookie
The problem there is when you click on the Cookie tab, WinPatrol closes - at least it does for some of us some of the time.  ::)

Quoteand the lack of support for it, I don't find Scotty's barking worth keeping on my systems.
Well, he barks for a reason - and that is whenever any program tries to configure itself to start with Windows - like an auto-updater. And that WP function still works with the latest version of W10. So I don't see any reason to uninstall it.

Now if I might build myself a new computer in the near future, not sure I will install it. But for now, I am not uninstalling it.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

winchester73

I understand how WP works/worked  ;)

I stand by the recommendation of NirSoft, you'll get plenty of info about a cookie.
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

v_v

joe935,

It seems that we have all concluded that the WinPatrol cookie feature is not going to work for your purposes, and winchester73 has given you a link to Nirsoft, that might work for you.

I will supply another possibility, one that is a browser extension:  the cookie manager from CookieBro.  You may find info on it here:  " https://nodetics.com/cookiebro/#:~:text=%20Cookiebro%20-%20Cookie%20Manager%20%20%20%5BWebExtension%5D,or%20domain%20wildcard%20to%20the%20whitelist%20More%20 ".

This one works on both the Mozilla Gecko based browsers (Firefox, Waterfox, Slim, and others) and the Chromium-based browsers (Chrome, Edge, Opera, SlimJet, Vivaldi, and others).  It allows viewing, editing, importing, exporting, and many other ways of working with cookies.  So far this extension does not seem to be available for SeaMonkey or the PaleMoon-related browsers (Pale Moon and Mypal).  I have found the extension to be excellent for many purposes, and I like that it works on both of the main lines of browsers (the Gecko/Firefox line and the Chromium line).

v_v
Justice, Equity, and Meaningful, Productive, and Fulfilling Lives to All Earthlings

plodr

I have CookieBro installed in FF and use a very old extension, CookieCuller, in Palemoon.
I didn't realize CookieBro worked on Vivaldi. I installed EditThisCookie in Vivaldi.
Chugging coffee and computing!

Digerati

I think if we are going to discuss cookie managers, it should be in a separate thread because Winpatrol is not, and IMO never has been a viable or serious cookie manager.

That said, Joe was asking about ways to learn more about individual cookies. Check out MAXA Cookie Manager. It is a one-stop app that lets you manage cookies, to include whitelisting cookies and sites and lets you view information about specific cookies. I personally find the sounds to be a bit annoying but they can be disabled or even individually configured. There are free and pro versions. The difference between the free and pro versions is the pro version has several automatic delete functions you can configure. The free version is manual.

QuoteI stand by the recommendation of NirSoft, you'll get plenty of info about a cookie.
Okay - as long as you know which NirSoft cookie tool to use - there are several and they are browser specific. If you use 3 different browsers, you essentially need 3 different programs. 

I do agree agree, however - to manage cookies, WP is no good. But that's not even a point for debate as that is a totally different and very minor function of WP, IMO.

I've been using WP at least since V10 almost 15 years ago - long before BillP retired from it and sold it to Bret and company. As far back as I can remember, I have never used WinPatrol to manage cookies. So I would never, and have never recommended or even suggested it be used for that purpose. It has always been, for me, a tool to monitor and manage startup programs - a function it still does very well.

IMO, there is no alternative that matches WP's functionality in that critical area. There's the most excellent  Sysinternals Autoruns but in no way is it for the novice or casual Windows user. And pretty sure it does not have a Notification/System try applet for essential real-time monitoring. Then there's Glarysoft's Quick Startup but last I checked, it doesn't have a Notification/System tray applet either.

Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018