Something about recent posts

Started by DR M, January 15, 2015, 06:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR M

Well, first of all, I am not the proper person for making suggestions in this forum.  :Hammys pint:

Second... My suggestion!  :mitch:

My suggestion has to do with the daily posts in game topics (e.g. 5 letter word, 2 words game etc.). Game topics are nice, and a place where all we can come closer and have fun. But... I think that they "hide" other posts which are more "important" in a forum like this. I'm not talking about a post in Maleware removal section, because it's too easy to see which is the newest post there (except when too many topics are opened in this section), but about other posts, in other sections.

I know that one can click to Recent posts and see all recent posts there. But viewing recent posts at the bottom of the first page gives (to me) a clearer picture and a better impression.

My suggestion???

Can you increase the number of recent posts at the bottom? Perhaps 10? I don't know. And of course, only if you agree.

P.

Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

winchester73

If you go to the top of the page, below the "Hello DR M" and to the right of your avatar, click on "Show unread posts since last visit".  That may show 'more' than you want, but might be a quick solution.  I'm not as well versed as other Admins about the forum software, I'll let them chime in if your suggestion can be adopted.
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

JDBush61

Quote from: DR M on January 15, 2015, 06:28:14 PM
I think that they "hide" other posts which are more "important" in a forum like this.

I completely agree with DR M, and have had the same thought for quite some time now. The word games are fun (and, I'm one of the biggest abusers), yet like DR M, it would be nice to have an easy option for quickly viewing more recent posts, not merely the last five. In fact, when I visit the site and see my name listed as ALL the recent posts, well..., hmmmm..., it makes me feel like a bit of a bully. :sad: Or, a psycho. :smiley:

Winchester73's advice is good, yet it requires logging in, which I don't always do. Maybe an option (button) to show all recent posts without having to log in would be nice.

My 2 cents.  :wink:
"In an age when mass society has rendered obsolete the qualities of individual courage and independent thought, the oceans of the world still remain, vast and uncluttered, beautiful but unforgiving, awaiting those who will not submit. Their voyages are not an escape, but a fulfillment."

~ THE SLOCUM SOCIETY ~

Pete!

In case you don't get your wish....
There are a few forums where I bookmark (for instance) http://www.landzdown.com/unread/ instead of the main page.
It saves time as well as wear and tear on the mouse buttons.

JDBush61

Quote from: Pete! on January 16, 2015, 12:31:44 AM
In case you don't get your wish....
There are a few forums where I bookmark (for instance) http://www.landzdown.com/unread/ instead of the main page.
It saves time as well as wear and tear on the mouse buttons.

The link in your suggestion brings me to a sign-in (log in) page. Only after logging in does the "unread" option become available.
Thus, still log-in required and lots of typing and clicking. I was thinking more along the lines of either DR M's idea about just more "recents" being shown (10-15?), or one button (one click) to maybe view the recent posts from maybe the past 2-3 days.

I actually never log in unless wishing to post something, and I also sometimes check LandzDown with my iPhone. Thus, simple and easy is better for me.

Life is so difficult sometimes. (ahaha  :cheesy:)
"In an age when mass society has rendered obsolete the qualities of individual courage and independent thought, the oceans of the world still remain, vast and uncluttered, beautiful but unforgiving, awaiting those who will not submit. Their voyages are not an escape, but a fulfillment."

~ THE SLOCUM SOCIETY ~

Corrine

SMF forum software doesn't have all the fancy options available with the (expensive) licensed forum software programs like vBulletin that can show 20 Recent Activity items in a sidebar  (See Sysnative as an example).  An option button without logging in wouldn't work because features of that nature require cookies.  ;)

If the bookmark method Pete suggested doesn't work for you and there are particular forums or topics you are interested in following, you can create subscriptions.  You will then receive an email notice when a new thread has been posted on the subscribed forum or a new reply in the subscribed topic since your last visit.  (Note:  There will not be an email sent if you are logged on to the forum when the new thread/reply is posted.)

Subscribe to a Forum
  • Click the button at the top of the forum. 
  • Click OK to the popup:
Similarly, if there is a specific topic posted that you wish to follow, you can create a separate subscription for the topic.  For example, you may want to subscribe to one or more of the security software programs that have updates posted.  Merely select the software from the Index of Security Software Programs, clicking the link to the program and then click the Notify button.

Subscribe to a Topic
  • Navigate to the thread
  • Open the thread > Click the button at the top of the thread. 
  • Click OK to the popup: 
Note:  Make sure LandzDown Forum (sean AT landzdown.com) is not blocked by any anti-spam software you have.

IMPORTANT:  The email notice includes the following:

• Subscribed Forums:  More topics may be posted, but you won't receive more email notifications until you return to the board and read some of them.
  • Subscribed Topics:  More replies may be posted, but you won't receive any more notifications until you read the topic.
Unsubscribe 
  • Click the unsubscribe link in the email notification.
  • When subscribed, the Notify button changes to UNNOTIFY.  Just click the UNNOTIFY button for the forum or topic to unsubscribe.
  • Manage both from your forum profile.  Click the Profile link at the top of the forum > Click Notifications > Check the box next to any Topics or Board (forum) you no longer want to receive notifications for > Click UNNOTIFY. 

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

winchester73

Quote from: winchester73 on January 15, 2015, 08:58:30 PM
I'm not as well versed as other Admins about the forum software, I'll let them chime in if your suggestion can be adopted.

Thanks Corrine  :cool:

Of course, another option is to stay logged in, and then click on the unread threads button  :D
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

The Howling Wolves

Winchester,
That's what I do...Stay logged in.
Then head to the bottom of recent posts.
Dennis
Dennis

JDBush61

Thanks, Corrine.

Actually, I just realized that drop by here most every other day, so all of this basically doesn't apply to me.  :smiley:

Oh well, please continue.

~ THE SLOCUM SOCIETY ~

Corrine

I stay logged in also but am subscribed to new topics in the WinPatrol forum.  That way if I am busy at another forum and haven't refreshed the page here in 15 minutes or longer, I'll receive an email notice.  (The User online time threshold is set for 15 minutes.  Thus, even if a tab is open here at LzD - which it is all day - the forum software will consider me inactive after 15 minutes.)

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Pete!

As Winchester73 posted....
My "suggestion" about going directly to a bookmarked "new posts" page, requires that you stay logged in.

Since I use a different password for everything, I was staying logged in anyway. It saves precious (aging) memory cells.

Forlorn

QuoteSMF forum software doesn't have all the fancy options...

Not true.

Go to "Administration Center » Themes and Layout » Theme Settings"

http://www.landzdown.com/index.php?action=admin;area=theme;sa=settings;th=1

Scroll down to: "Number of recent posts to display on board index" and enter the desired number.

Corrine

Thank you, James! :rose:  I missed that when I was searching the control panel.  I changed the setting to 10 but, as can be seen, except for this thread, the rest are in the Lounge. Still, it should help.

Forlorn

Quote from: Corrine on January 19, 2015, 03:20:31 PMI changed the setting to 10 but, as can be seen, except for this thread, the rest are in the Lounge. Still, it should help.
You could activate the "Ignore Boards" option. (go to Administration Center » Boards » Settings)

Users could then go into their account profile settings and opt to ignore the Lounge. Posts in the Lounge will then no longer show up in the Recent Posts list. If they want to see what's new in the Lounge they'll have to surf on over there and look.

JDBush61

Quote from: Corrine on January 19, 2015, 03:20:31 PM
Thank you, James! :rose:  I missed that when I was searching the control panel.  I changed the setting to 10 but, as can be seen, except for this thread, the rest are in the Lounge. Still, it should help.

Now logging in from a galaxy far far from home, and as you pointed out, changing the setting to 10 basically just doubled the amount of Lounge posts shown -- which is what I suspected might happen. On the plus side, going from 5 to 10 makes it look like I only have "mild" OCD, as opposed to "complete" OCD.  :D

Anyway, it`s a nice change, Corrine. Thanks.  :rose:

~ THE SLOCUM SOCIETY ~