Started by techie, April 12, 2015, 05:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techie

Avatars can be nice, but using generic or third party urls aren't always the best. Anyway possibly to allow avatars to be loaded to the user profiles, with a limited size?

Corrine

The maximum size of uploaded avatars is 130 X 130 px (although as you know, I'm still using the same ~40 X 40 px avatar Curt made for me almost 15 years ago).  Under Profile > Forum Profile select "Upload an Avatar".

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

techie

I thought that option was here before, I do not see that as option any longer in profile settings. I also no longer see the GMT location option any longer. Maybe it's just me.

Pete!

Quote from: techie on April 12, 2015, 07:38:17 PM
I thought that option was here before, I do not see that as option any longer in profile settings. I also no longer see the GMT location option any longer. Maybe it's just me.
I don't see an upload option either.
I believe it's an SMF feature.
Was it disabled?

plodr

You have to store it somewhere, like ImgBam http://www.imagebam.com/
then point the specify avatar by URL to the address.
That's how I have my avatar here.

Of course, I uploaded from my paid storage but I keep backup images on ImgBam.
Chugging coffee and computing!

Corrine

Sorry, you're right.  It appears the option to upload an avatar for the member group was disabled at some point but I don't know/recall the reason.  I'll see what I can find out.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Wolfeymole

I have mine loading from Photobucket so as not to affect the space on the server, the same goes for my sig.

Pierre75

Quote from: Corrine on April 12, 2015, 08:59:32 PM
Sorry, you're right.  It appears the option to upload an avatar for the member group was disabled at some point but I don't know/recall the reason.  I'll see what I can find out.

Thank you, Corrine. I have been trying for ages to put my own up.  :thumbsup:
IF IT AIN'T BROKE -  DON'T FIX IT

Wolfeymole

As an addendum to Plodr's excellent advice here's a little picture of the location in Profile.

techie

I'm well aware of third party url's for storage. I stated that in my initial post. The question as Corrine has posted a reply that the ability to upload a Avatar is no longer available. Third party url image storage comes and goes, most are usually only for a limited time unless you want to pay a fee.

plodr

As far as I am aware, free ImgBam doesn't remove the photos I have stored.
I uploaded some things in mid 2014 and haven't been back since. All my images are still there.

But I started reading and hotlinking support goes off and on so I wouldn't count on ImgBam.

The images are not removed but the hotlinking is from time to time.
Chugging coffee and computing!

Wolfeymole

Quote from: techie on April 13, 2015, 02:01:42 PM
I'm well aware of third party url's for storage. I stated that in my initial post. The question as Corrine has posted a reply that the ability to upload a Avatar is no longer available. Third party url image storage comes and goes, most are usually only for a limited time unless you want to pay a fee.

I think you may have missed the point that I was trying to make regarding via external sites so as to save space on whatever size the server drive is Techie.

techie

I didn't mean anything by it, no offense meant. It was one of those I thought the option used to be available. I was thinking maybe I was looking at it wrong. Yes, web-space can be valuable. 

Corrine

The permissions have been changed so "members" can now upload an avatar.  An image such as plodr's is 80px X 80px and Wolkfeymole's avatar is 100px X 93px, both of which are an ideal size.  My rose is 39px × 38px which was created for a site that, at the time, only allowed a maximum 40px × 40px.

Note that the maximum dimensions are 130px X 130px.

Pierre75

All comes to those who wait.  :dance: Thank you.  :GRAFX:
IF IT AIN'T BROKE -  DON'T FIX IT