WOT web of trust Web site checker

Started by pete, May 19, 2008, 12:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pete

Hi
At the moment i am using McAfee siteadvisor for checking out web sites in "Firefox", was using it in IE7 but at times it would freeze the comp when using IE. The problem seems to be hit or miss depending on your configuration..  Firefox it works like a charm.

Any way has any body used  WOT (web of trust).
As i am thinking about trying WOT for a while and see how it goes.  As it also works with IE6/7 and firefox

Any comments will be appreciated.

Here a link to there web site
http://www.mywot.com/

Cheers
Even I'm Amazed At My Stupidity!!!

Corrine

I've seen WOT but do not know whether it or SiteAdvisor is better.  I pinged someone I know from CastleCops who appears to be involved with both.  Hopefully he'll have a chance to respond with his impressions.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

lordpake

HI all,

I do use both. Let's see if I can properly convey my impressions. Warning: my text will be more of a unformatted collection of various thoughts than a academic study. Also, as I'm reviewer of sorts in both I may deal with technical/reporting issues more than may be necessary/interesting for regular users who only want the warnings/ratings. If someone feels they need more or in-depth answers related to certain features for example, feel free to post here and I try my best to answer.

I only use Firefox, so my experiences relate to those extensions if I have something about the functionality to say  :firefox:

1.) It'd seem WOT updates site ratings faster vs. SA, see thread here http://www.mywot.com/en/forum/115 "Reputations are calculated every half an hour when new information is available."

2.) There's obvious "downside" in WOT: to properly be able to rate site one must visit it. Any registered user can leave comments about the site, but comments themselves do not affect the site's ratings. See thread here http://www.mywot.com/en/forum/756

3,) WOT does have somewhat of an edge over SA when it comes to child safety ratings. SA doesn't know them. In WOT you can, besides using the sliders when rating site, give actual 'adult'/'hateful'/'violent'/'illegal' ratings when commenting sites. These ratings can give more in-depth view about the content of the site, and even warn about/block accessing sites like that depending on your settings. However when it comes to the actual Child Safety slider, I feel there should be more guidelines from the WOT team. It seems some use the slider to mark scam sites as orange/red (logic being children may not identify the scam), whereas I perceive child safety to be more of full frontal nudity/drugs related issue. See the rating guide here http://www.mywot.com/en/support/ratings

4.) Currently it'd seem that SA has better interface than WOT. In WOT you can't find rating for specific site w/o accessing the scorecard by typing hXXp://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/domainhere to the address bar, or actually visiting the site and then accessing the scorecard via extension menu. I'm hoping this is something they iron out in the future as their product matures. Compare that to the SA's http://www.siteadvisor.com/analysis/

5.) Staff. WOT staff are active in forum/blog. This is always good. However, will it remain so remains to be seen.

6.) Scam sites (and other issues). It seems that SA currently has issues when it comes to scam site idenfication (especially those of rogue codec/security software kind). Too many red sites are given automatic rating of 'spammy' or even green rating, and they remain so even after months. You can see the drama unfold here http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/siteadvisor.com/postid/?p=899710#post899710 read few pages starting from that post. Suffice to say, enough of us experienced reviewers have noticed the issues and are eagerly awaiting official response. To me it seems the best reviewer has already left, because of ongoing issues and McAfee's/SA's inability to deal with them.

Currently I use both of them, they exist happily in my browser. About the warnings/ratings, how they pop-up/appear and etc. I can't currently comment, because I have them turned off. I don't personally pay much attention to them, and I use both extensions heavily on reporting/reviewing, not staying safe :)

At present, I'd recommend both. They both have their uses, and just like AdBlock + Anti-Banner in my Kaspersky Internet Security, these two complement each other.

pete

Quote from: Corrine on May 19, 2008, 03:03:16 PM
I've seen WOT but do not know whether it or SiteAdvisor is better.  I pinged someone I know from CastleCops who appears to be involved with both.  Hopefully he'll have a chance to respond with his impressions.

Thanks Corrine :rose:

have a great day/evening :flowers:

Cheers

pete

Hi lordpake

Thankyou very much for your comments.
You have put a lot of effort into your comments and links.
I will give them a thorough check out, you have given me much to think about and absorb.

Your help very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Cheers 

Corrine

Interesting post by Donna at CoU regarding the speed of WOT's updates compared to SA:  http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=18720

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

pete

Hi Corrine

Thanks for posting the link.
Was very interesting, i had a good read. :breakkie:
Shows how you have to be alert  :muahaha:
Cheers :Hammys pint:

Corrine

lordpake

A little bump for this. Also, it should be noted that WOT has since improved a lot, and any possible issues I have highlighted in my previous 'review' probably have already been addressed in one way or another  :)

Corrine

In addition, WOT applied for and was accepted in ASAP.  http://asap.maddoktor2.com/

R-C

I have been using WOT for a while now and really like it. I had site advisor since it came out so now I have both living on my firefox and use both.
I agree that WOT updates very quickly, some of the sites that were known to be spreading the antivirus xp were still not red on site advisor but were red on WOT, quick action.
I have been happy and impressed with it thus far plus their forum is quick to respond to questions.

I posted a link to WOT on one of the forums I am on and almost instantly one of the WOT support people came on and provided more info and links to videos which helped show just how wot works and how easy it is to get infected by visiting a legit looking website.
registered Linux user:476595
May inspiration fill your heart and hands, run down your legs onto your feet and cause Spontaneous Dancing! :dance:

pete

I also am using both in Firefox

I also have both in IE7 and as yet have had no problems.

I personally don't use IE much, but rest of the family does, thought it was a good idea to show them about Siteadviser and Wot.

Cheers

JonPaulOnLine

Of all those that I tried, I prefer WOT and recommend it to family and friends
TestSystemSoftware-Windows7 HomePremium, 32 BIT,  4GB RAM,
MBAM Premium, MBAE, WinPatrol Plus, Acronis Image 2015, Norton Security Suite for Comcast,  Pale Moon, Chrome,WinPrivacy Beta, Spyware Blaster,WinPrivacy

techie

I use both WOT and Site adviser, I do like the WOT warnings in search engines, if you haven't noticed it places a site rating warning for each item brought up in a search, green orange or red depending on rating. I usually browse with FF3, so add the built in attack and forgery built into the FF3 browser and it kind of tightens it up.

Niecarrah

WOT ROCKS!!  It is fast and reliable, I recommend it to everyone.
I can't know...?
NEVER LET BEING GOOD ENOUGH, BE GOOD ENOUGH!"