Set Microsoft Internet Explorer to ask you to enable Adobe Flash

Started by Aaron Hulett, July 17, 2015, 12:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Hulett

You can set things up so that when you visit a web page with Adobe Flash content you get asked to enable the Flash plug-in beforehand. The control is at the domain level, so if you enable it for, say, facebook.com, it'll get added to the approved websites list.

Click the cog and then Manage Add-ons (or go to Tools (ALT + T) and Manage Add-ons).
Find the Flash entry (such as Shockwave Flash Object), right click on it and choose More Information.
In the section that says, "You have approved this add-on to run on the following websites:" click the "Remove all sites" button. Then click Close, and then click Close.

Now when you visit a web page with Flash content you'll get asked if you want to enable the plug-in. If you select Allow then the domain gets added to the approved websites list (meaning when you visit a page on that domain down the road, Flash will run). If you select Allow for all websites, well, then you undid all this.

Not saying this is necessary or unhelpful or anywhere in between - I'm offering it for those that do find it useful. Feel free to share elsewhere, but please drop my name/attribution.

Regards,
Aaron

This information is provided "AS IS" without warranty, and confers no rights.

Corrine

The only option with Microsoft Edge under Settings > Advanced Settings is On or Off.  Since the latest Flash Player update (v 18.0.0.109) has yet to be released (and I've checked daily since installing the new build), I've changed the setting to Off.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Corrine

Finally got the Flash Player update to .109 for Microsoft Edge this afternoon!

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.