Chrome shortcuts are installed as apps!

Started by DR M, June 25, 2022, 05:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR M

I was helping a User today, and realized that every time he was creating a shortcut in Chrome (Settings>More tools>Create shortcut), this shortcut was installed as a program in the Installed Programs list.

I tested it on my VM, and it's a fact.

Has anyone noticed this? I find it ... a bit strange.

https://support.google.com/chrome_webstore/answer/3060053?hl=en
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

Corrine

I prefer not to use Chrome (or Google) even though there is a "relationship" to Microsoft Edge.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

DR M

I don't use Chrome either and that's why I tested it in the VM.

Installed apps the shortcuts? Why?
Grecian Geek

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

DR M

Searching for it a bit further, it seems that this feature is considered as an advantage in modern browsers.

QuoteMost modern browsers give you an option to install any website as a desktop application on your PC or Laptop. This feature is helpful when you frequently visit a website. Installing it as an app allows you to open it directly from your desktop without having to open the browser.

https://allthings.how/how-to-install-any-website-as-app-using-edge-chrome-browser/

And there is also an option in Edge, which gives you this opportunity (... > Apps > Install this site as an app).

Well, something new to learn, regardless if we like/use it or not.
Grecian Geek

Corrine

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.