Would You Buy a New Computer with Linux Preinstalled?

Started by raymac46, January 19, 2022, 03:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymac46

I have - a couple of times. They were pre-2010 netbooks with wimpy 32 bit hardware and brain-dead Linux distros which I replaced. They have been recycled and such appliances can now be replaced by Chromebooks.
Things are much different today. Companies like System 76 offer powerful laptops and desktops with an excellent distro like POP!_OS.
That said, I don't think I'm a customer now. My main interest in new PCs is to get something that runs a supported version of Windows - preferably Windows 11. Linux for me is to repurpose old machines. My Linux stable ranges in age from 7 to 14 years of age, most have been upgraded and all run up-to-date versions of Linux with no problem. If I needed something newish I could build it, or get a gently used Thinkpad / Dell Latitude.
How about you? Would you consider getting into Linux with a preinstalled computer?

lewmur

I have to say no, but simply because I'd never buy a new computer.  I'm a DIY guy when it comes to desktops and I always buy "used" laptops.  Right now I'm waiting on delivery of this HP ENVY X360 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop 16GB RAM 512GB SSD AMD Ryzen 7 4700U.  :)  Nice, but not quite "new". But I certainly recommend one to any of my elderly neighbors.  To me, the transition from an old Windows box to a Linux box, is far easier than to Windows 10 or 11.

V.T. Eric Layton

> I have to say no, but simply because I'd never buy a new computer.  I'm a DIY guy when it comes to desktops and I always buy "used" laptops.

Same for me.

raymac46

Most of my neighbors either buy cheap Windows laptops or if they want a premium experience, they go for Apple. They haven't heard of Linux or any of the companies that make preinstalled Linux hardware. Most of the time I have a chance to install Linux on their old PC as a backup / 2nd unit.
I have installed Linux on an old desktop and given it away to a very old lady who could not afford anything at all. So I guess she got a preinstalled Linux system of sorts.

plodr

I bought a 7" eeepc in 2008 with a hybrid of Debian/Xandros installed. It worked well at the time as a traveling laptop. Unfortunately with a 4 GB ssd, it won't accept a newer version of linux. It still works but I rarely use it. Would I do it again - no.

When it came time to find something, I opted for a chromebook, which is a specialized subset of linux. Why would I not choose linux installed? Updating. In android/chromeOS, I click play store and am shown what needs updating. I select what I want and rarely need to reboot to keep the system operational. I'm getting too old to want to do much tweaking. I simply want to turn on a device and use it.
Chugging coffee and computing!

xrobwx71

No, with Linux I like to install myself, dual boot, test, switch, etc.

I'm not a Linux daily driver. Don't take it the wrong way, I love Linux.

V.T. Eric Layton

We won't take that comment the wrong way. We're mostly from Scot's here in this area of LzD. At Scot's, we make it a point to NOT be judgemental with regards to folks' choices. While you may catch us, particularly me, ridiculing Microsoft and Windows occasionally, it's not meant in a mean way, and we wouldn't ridicule any individual... but BIG CORPORATIONS are fair game. ;)

Have a great day!

Hedon James

Quote from: xrobwx71 on January 22, 2022, 01:41:20 PM
No, with Linux I like to install myself, dual boot, test, switch, etc.

I'm not a Linux daily driver. Don't take it the wrong way, I love Linux.

Yes, what V.T. said above ^.  To each his own!  But FWIW, you sound like one of "us" linux-users...those are all things WE like to do also.  The ONLY difference is that Linux is our daily driver, or at least our preferred OS.  Part of the Linux ethos is the "freedom to use" what you want your OS to be, or look like, even if that system isn't a Linux system.  So we get it.

But to play devil's advocate, a good reason for someone like yourself to consider buying a system with Linux pre-installed is that the hardware is guaranteed to be linux-friendly.  You won't have to research that wifi card (or other potentially problematic hardware device) to find out if it works with linux, OOTB or with a little tweaking, or a complete workaround.  It's guaranteed to work!

With that being said, I typically build my own rig, using the pieces I want and have verified to be linux-friendly.  And I'll install my favorite flavor of Linux OS, with a virtualized Windows VM on there for those specialized programs that I am forced to use by others I do business with (Quickbooks, real estate software, etc...), for which there is no viable replacement in the linux ecosystem (yet?!).

Carry on!   8)