Compare Your Browser With Microsoft Edge Dev

Started by Corrine, February 13, 2020, 11:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corrine

New optimizations boost performance in preview builds of Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Edge Blog
QuoteStarting with Microsoft Edge build 81.0.389.0 on 64-bit Windows 10, we've enabled new toolchain optimizations that should provide a substantial performance improvement in general browsing workloads.

We've measured an up to 13% performance improvement in the Speedometer 2.0 benchmark when compared to Microsoft Edge 79. Speedometer measures performance by simulating user interactions in a sample web app across a number of DOM APIs and popular JavaScript frameworks used by top sites, and is generally regarded as a good proxy for real-world performance across a number of different subsystems including the DOM, JavaScript engine, layout, and more.

It is important to note that the Microsoft test had no other tabs open and no apps -- by apps, I gather that includes ad-blockers, etc.  If you run a comparison, post your results as a reply.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Digerati

I've been using Edge as my default for a few weeks now and I have to say, I like it. AFAIK, every site I have visited has displayed properly - certainly quickly. Including some that my previous default, PM, refused to render properly. My water/trash/sewer utility company's website for example, didn't like PM and is a primary reason I gave Edge a chance again one the "new" Edge came out. That said, I suspect it was the utility company's rejection of PM rather than PM failing to render it.

I just ran that Speedometer test on Chrome, Edge, FF, IE, and PM. Surprisingly (I think), it failed to run with IE.

PM only scored 25.1. FF scored 73.8. Edge got 85.1 but Chrome eked out a win with a slight lead of 87.9. I re-ran Edge and Chrome 2 more times and got similar results, where Chrome slightly edged-out Edge (pun intended).
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

DR M

Edge 31.4
PM 14.2

I think I have problem with my internet connection...
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

ky331

Edge (80.0.361.50) scored 61.08; waiting to compare when I get version 81, which is supposed to be optimized.
Firefox (73.0)                    48.5
MyPal (28.8.2)                   19.7
(These comparison were made on a system at work.)

Digerati

Quote from: DR M on February 14, 2020, 12:20:04 PM
Edge 31.4
PM 14.2

I think I have problem with my internet connection...
It is probably more to do with your service contract with your provider and not an actual "problem". Check your speeds with Speedtest.net and Testmy.net. Then check your contract to make sure you are getting what you pay for. If not, contact your ISP and complain. Hopefully, the contract states a minimum and not something vague like "up to" some speed.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

DR M

Quote from: Digerati on February 14, 2020, 03:00:14 PM
It is probably more to do with your service contract with your provider and not an actual "problem". Check your speeds with Speedtest.net and Testmy.net. Then check your contract to make sure you are getting what you pay for. If not, contact your ISP and complain. Hopefully, the contract states a minimum and not something vague like "up to" some speed.

That's true. On September the contract is going to end, and I will change Internet Provider for sure. I had many problems with it these 2 years.

Download speed: 25  It is supposed to be 60.
Upload speed: 5.5
Grecian Geek

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

Digerati

Well, again, if your contract says "up to" 60, then technically, 25 still complies with your contract.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

DR M

Quote from: Digerati on February 14, 2020, 03:23:52 PM
Well, again, if your contract says "up to" 60, then technically, 25 still complies with your contract.

I understand...  :(
Grecian Geek

Ssherjj

Hi Folks,

I tested my browsers with SpeedMeter 2.0 and Chrome was 38.5, FF 28.0, MS Edge 66.9. I ran this test 3 times and I felt something was wrong with my Internet speed so I did the Speed test and only got 60.99 MPS where I an suppose to be getting a 100MPS which I am paying for. After working with Spectrum they are now sending a Tech out to my house to resolve this issue. Unplugging the modem and resetting did not work. So tomorrow I will do the SpeedMeter again with these browsers.
Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows  ALIENWARE 17R4 Win 10 Workstation Pro x64 (1909)  / Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) W 10 & (VM:15) & Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete (Android Samsung Galaxy Note), iPad 6th Generation v13.2.3 -Webroot Beta. Voodooshields Beta Tester, Security

Boz

Quote from: Digerati on February 14, 2020, 03:23:52 PM
Usually, in my experience, ISPs freely admit there's a problem if the speed is not 75% to 80% of the "up to" speeds.

So, if DR M's ISP follows that general guideline, 25Mbps is not acceptable, if up to 60Mbps is the claim.

Ssherjj

I took the coaxial cable off my Modem for a minute and put it back on. Now my ISP speed is 114 Mbps. So the reset from my ISP worked.

Speedmeter:

MS Edge 77.0
Firefox    33.1
Chrome   44.3

I do have a lot of extensions running in Firefox..but it looks like a run away with MS Edge running Windows 10 Workstation v1909 64bit.
Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows  ALIENWARE 17R4 Win 10 Workstation Pro x64 (1909)  / Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) W 10 & (VM:15) & Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete (Android Samsung Galaxy Note), iPad 6th Generation v13.2.3 -Webroot Beta. Voodooshields Beta Tester, Security

Digerati

Hmmm, except removing the data (coaxial) cable does not reset the modem or connection. That typically takes either an internal command from the admin menu, a press of a reset button on the modem (if it has one) or the most common way is with a power recycle - unplugging the power connector, waiting 30 - 60 seconds, then plugging the modem back in. I don't know what might have happened by disconnecting the coax cable. I suspect it was coincidental rather than an actual reset.

The difference between 66.9 and 77 is really not that great and could be explained by simple changes in network traffic.

For example, I have made no changes to my computer or my network and just now today, Speedometer results for Edge were 93.9. compared to 85.1 yesterday.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

Ssherjj

Hi @Digeratti,

My ISP had to disconnect the power connector for 60 secs then I plugged it back in. But Tech Support couldn't get the speed up to 100 Mbps even after resetting the modem from her end. My speed test was still 60 so she is sending out support in the morning to check things out to see why I cannot get 100Mbps. So I just went and unplugged the power connector & the coaxial and then I was up to 114Mbps. Because after Tech hungup I still was having issues just getting back online.

Okay I have ESET, Glasswire, & Webroot, & Voodooshields all running on my system. So would that cause the slow browsers benchmarks?

Digerati

Having all that may not be helping your computer's performance in general but I don't see it affecting these scores. But then I don't use any of those products. Windows Defender, especially in Windows 10, is just fine, as is Windows Firewall, IMO. At least none of my systems have ever been compromised with that setup. I do have Malwarebytes as a supplemental scanner - but then I feel everyone should have a supplemental scanner regardless their primary anti-malware solution of choice.

If me, I would disable Webroot and Voodooshield and see what happens. If no change in performance, you can enable them again - or just leave them disabled.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

Ssherjj

Yes it is rather overkill I realize that but I Beta Test Webroot & VoodooShields so I can easily disable them. Thank you for your advise. I'll be back...