Threads, slow computer, error in updates

Started by DR M, February 17, 2017, 07:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR M

Well, it seems that it's impossible for me to install updates on this computer.

Every time I reboot, it downloads updates, but then, after the next restart, it downloads the same updates with no result again. I tried stop windows update service, rename the software distribution folder etc., but nothing worked.

Any ideas before I return the computer?  :-\
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

Corrine

I suspect you've heard it from me before but I'll say it again.  The place for help with problems with Windows Updates is at Sysnative.  Without the latest updates, you know as well as I do that makes your friend's system vulnerable.  If you need to get the computer back to your friend, please strongly encourage posting the requested logs at Sysnative.  Windows Update Forum Posting Instructions.  (Ask DonnaB.  She'll confirm getting help there.)

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

DR M

Quote from: Corrine on February 18, 2017, 04:41:42 PM
I suspect you've heard it from me before but I'll say it again.  The place for help with problems with Windows Updates is at Sysnative. 

I have heard it from you, you don't have to suspect anything... I know... Why to ask anybody else... But I just feel more comfortable here, so I'm trying to spend every peace of hope in LzD, and then go to Sysnative. :)

Grecian Geek

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

DR M

NOTE:

1. I forgot Sysnative password.
2. I deleted my registered email (yahoo account).

And now??  ???  :o
Grecian Geek

satrow

Quote from: DR M on February 18, 2017, 05:10:37 PM
NOTE:

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/sendmessage.php (Contact Us URL, bottom of each of their pages).

A quick explanation and your new email address and you should get a reply once an Admin/Mod has looked at it ;)

DR M

Quote from: satrow on February 18, 2017, 05:54:03 PM
Quote from: DR M on February 18, 2017, 05:10:37 PM
NOTE:

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/sendmessage.php (Contact Us URL, bottom of each of their pages).

A quick explanation and your new email address and you should get a reply once an Admin/Mod has looked at it ;)

THANK YOU!!!
Grecian Geek

Corrine

I changed your email address in your profile so you can do a password reset.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

DR M

Quote from: Corrine on February 18, 2017, 07:25:38 PM
I changed your email address in your profile so you can do a password reset.

THANK YOU!!!

Grecian Geek

DR M

UPDATE:

Before ask for help in Sysnative, I decided to do something else, just a last trial.

I downloaded the upgrade tool from Microsoft, and run the update manual.

The procedure started, until WINPATROL warn me about rollback service at start up (I installed it the other time I asked for help for this computer).

I reject the change, the procedure continued, until AGAIN WINPATROL warn me again, about the same service.

I rejected it again, but I open Win Patrol to see the start up programs on the computer.

The roll back service was there!

I disable it and remove it.

I realized that the roll back service was cancelling  the update, every time the computer was rebooted! It was a circle!

After disabled and removed the service from within Win Patrol, the anniversary update was installed in the computer!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then other updates were installed!!!

I have no idea why this happened, but I know that I spent more than 24 hours downloading, waiting, downloading and waiting!!!!

THE END! (I hope)

Grecian Geek

Corrine

WinPatrol was doing its job -- notifying you of a change.  Because you were in the process of installing updates, instead of rejecting the change, you should have allowed it. 

DR M

Quote from: Corrine on February 18, 2017, 11:10:00 PM
WinPatrol was doing its job -- notifying you of a change.  Because you were in the process of installing updates, instead of rejecting the change, you should have allowed it.

I didn't highlight WinPatrol to ''blame it'', but to ''thank it'', because its warning guide me to see that something strange was happening at start up.

Anyway. The computer is running fine for now. We'll watch at it, and if something goes wrong I'll report it.

Grecian Geek

DR M

Quote from: DR M on February 19, 2017, 01:47:47 PM

I didn't highlight WinPatrol to ''blame it'', but to ''thank it'', because its warning guide me to see that something strange was happening at start up.

Anyway. The computer is running fine for now. We'll watch at it, and if something goes wrong I'll report it.

It guided me! I have a serious problem with past tense!!!!!
Grecian Geek

winchester73

Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

Corrine

Since we ended up going in a different direction, did you remove the tools used before returning the computer?  (I know you know what to do.  :) )

DR M

Quote from: Corrine on February 24, 2017, 12:28:38 AM
Since we ended up going in a different direction, did you remove the tools used before returning the computer?

I did. I removed them. Thank you.
Grecian Geek