Threads, slow computer, error in updates

Started by DR M, February 17, 2017, 07:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonnaB

Well done indeed! I doubt I would have figured that out for myself. Then again I am not familiar with WinPatrol. I really need to install that program and familiarize myself with it since I hear nothing but good things about it. I know several helpers that recommend WinPatrol.

Donna  :D

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought."
Tom Robbins

DR M

Good morning!

I'm posting again in this thread, just to say that the same issue with updates appeared in my computer the last couple of days.

The automatic update (for the 1709 version) started and completed many times, but after every restart the computer returned to 1703 version. I decided to get the update from Microsoft's page, and during the procedure, WinPatrol warned me about the Rollback service. I disabled and removed it, and the update finally got installed. Before updating from the Microsoft page, no sign from the Rollback service, but it is obvious that it was the cause of this issue. No one had the same issue? Isn't something that it needs fix?
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

DR M

I know that this is an old topic (and perhaps I should open a new topic), but I have to say that the issue above continues to occur.

As I wrote before, the automatic update (for the 1709 version) is starting and seems to come to an end many times, but after every restart the computer returns to 1703 version. When updating using the Microsoft's tool (either as an update for the computer or as an update from a bootable media), during the procedure, WinPatrol warns about the Rollback service. Update is being completes successfully after disabling this service (either from WinPatrol or the Task Manager). Before updating using the tool, no sign from the Rollback service, but it is obvious that it's the cause of this issue. I had a phone call from a relative from Greece today, who told me about his problem. I immediately suspected that this was the problem, followed these steps, and he managed to get the 1709 update. A thought: perhaps this is something happening to old computers (mine is six years old). And another thought:  we have many cases to say that this is happening accidentally. Corrine?
Grecian Geek

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

Corrine

It is important to understand that without the Rollback Service, the Windows Installer will be prevented from recording the original state of the system and sequence of changes it makes during installation and from retaining files it intends to delete later. As a result, the Windows installer cannot restore the computer to its original state if the installation does not complete. As a result, an incomplete installation can render the system inoperable.

From personal experience, I have run into two times where an Insider Build did not install and it was rolled back to the previous Build.  However, after disabling other security software during the installation, it was successful.  So, that would be my first suggestion -- disable ESET, Malwarebytes, WinPatrol, etc, and see if that makes a difference installing the upgrade.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

DR M

OK, Corrine. I understand.

Some thinking aloud now (I'm doing it very often these days and I must be careful :D ) :

This happened also to a number of computers without any security software. I told today to the computer owner to install WinPatrol.
I disable the startup GetRollBack service. This means that I don't let it being installed? If I don't disable it from the start-up items, it will never stop to getting the computer to the old version of Windows. It's a start-up item...

As I already said, I did the same thing to my computer, in November. Should I check or correct something now or whatever has been done it's done? (ο γεγονε γέγονε)
Grecian Geek

Corrine

Is that the full name?  I looked in the Services desktop app, Task Manager and did a Bing search and didn't find anything named GetRollBack Service.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

DR M

Quote from: Corrine on March 01, 2018, 10:33:35 PM
Is that the full name?  I looked in the Services desktop app, Task Manager and did a Bing search and didn't find anything named GetRollBack Service.

Actually it's GetCurrentRollback. It's the 5th time I see it. I attach an image from the yesterday's computer.

The steps I follow: 
1. Accept the change from WinPatrol
2. Disable the service from WinPatrol

This warning appears ONLY with the use of the Microsoft tool. Otherwise, the update process ends with an error, due to a restart that gets the Windows back to the previous version.
Grecian Geek

Corrine

Ok, GetCurrentRollback isn't a service.  The file name is GetCurrentRollback.exe.  The only thread I found to what sounds much like you & others have experienced is Windows 10 Update assistant - Anniversary edition - Microsoft Community, although that includes an error message the person received as well.

Unfortunately, the person never posted back on success/failure.  However, note that the thread points to a post by a friend of mine.  See Andre's post in this thread:  Windows 10 Installation Error - 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 - Microsoft Community as well as the linked instructions for updating using an ISO.

DR M

Yes, I noticed that it's not a service.  :)

I bookmarked the page with Andre's answer. If the same problem occur again at the next big Windows update, I will try the steps he recommends. I will also check it in my nephew's computer.

A general question: if I disable a start-up item, I just disable it, not remove it. Right? If yes, where can I find GetCurrentRollback.exe file? Why it just disappears?
Grecian Geek

Pete!

Quote from: DR M on March 03, 2018, 10:09:33 AM
........ where can I find GetCurrentRollback.exe file? .....

In my machine, it's in folder located at C:\Windows10Upgrade.
The folder was created in August 2016, last updated in May 2017.

DR M

Quote from: Pete! on March 03, 2018, 02:46:43 PM

In my machine, it's in folder located at C:\Windows10Upgrade.
The folder was created in August 2016, last updated in May 2017.

Thank you. Mine too.  :)  Date modified: 14.12.2017. So it's there. Disabling it from the start-up items during the updating procedure, lets the Windows update to occur, since otherwise, the older version returns with computer's restart. Without WinPatrol's help, this could not be identified. But of course: I'll try the suggestion as listed above, when the problem re-occurs, and let you know.
Grecian Geek

DR M

It seems that every computer in this country has this problem. This time the same happened with a computer with 1709 to 1803 version (I just deleted Windows OS)

Updates from Settings end with error.

I update via Microsoft's page and everything seems good till the restart, which brings the computer back to its previous version.

I suspect that  GetCurrentRollback is somewhere in the middle!

I install Win Patrol.

I try again the update from Microsoft's page.

Win Patrol warns about the  GetCurrentRollback.

I accept the change and disable it via WP.

Updates are installed after the restart.

P.S. I used the usb with the 1709 version, that's why I had to upgrade to 1803.
The suggestion above (Andre's solution) didn't work.
Grecian Geek