Need help with Asus Nexus 7 tablet that is in a boot loop

Started by pastywhitegurl, April 23, 2024, 01:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pastywhitegurl

I have an Asus Nexus 7 tablet that hasn't been used in a few years.  The last time I used it it was very slow and I couldn't seem to delete enough apps to make it faster.    I decided to see if I could get it updated and working again and I'm at a stuck place.

The tablet boots to the Google logo screen and then just stays on the loading animation display and won't go any further.  It never gets to the lock screen.  Instead of powering down, it starts the reboot loop again.  I have to manually shut it off from the recovery mode menu.

Here's what I tried so far:
Unplugging and replugging the battery
Tapping on the back (apparently this works for some)
Hard reset and data wipe (this completed)  but no change on reboot
Partition wipe  (this completed) but no change on reboot

I found this suggestion:
https://nexus7.gadgethacks.com/how-to/definitive-guide-restore-your-nexus-7-tablet-even-if-youve-bricked-it-0145541/

But I don't feel like I understand it enough to try it.  Hoping for some expert help!

pastywhitegurl

Corrine

Quote from: pastywhitegurl on April 23, 2024, 01:59:08 AMSorry for the double post....thought I was editing!
No problem.  I deleted the duplicate post.

As to the instructions at the Nexus7 site, unfortunately the links to download the needed programs are no longer working. This is most likely because Windows 7 reached end of life in January, 2020.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

plodr

This tablet runs android, not Windows 7. The 7 indicates the size not the operating system.
All I can say is that I used to own an Asus MeMO 7 android tablet (2014), running v 4 then later v 5, that buffered and never loaded to the desktop. I kept it plugged in at one point and had it "on" for 24 hours just to see if it would finally load. It never did and all attempts by me to fix it with various programs that I researched on the internet and button combo presses resulted in no success. I had hoped to continue to use it as a camera, e-book reader and music player.

After I searched my archived files, I realized that I had all the pictures I had taken with it stored off the tablet. I finally e-cycled it at BestBuy after about 18 months of hanging on to it, in the hopes that I could fix it.

Chugging coffee and computing!

pastywhitegurl

The article I linked gave this direction for a toolkit that can fix the Nexus 7 android tablet.

https://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Is this viable?  If so, is there  someone here who could walk me through it?  I have not downloaded it yet, but will probably give it a try if it is safe to do so.  You have to connect your Nexus 7 tablet to your Windows PC and install some downloaded files.

plodr

First if the tablet never boots to the desktop, when you connect it to the PC it will not recognize the device. Try it and see if the PC recognizes your device. If not, you can't go further. That was my experience.

pastywhitegurl

Thanks!   After turning on the Nexus 7 tablet, I connected to my PC.  Windows music happened like it was recognizing a device, but when I went to file explorer nothing is showing up.

As I worked the side buttons that let you get into recovery mode to power down,  each action produced a 3-tone sound from Windows, but the device does not show on File Explorer.

plodr

Then it would be a waste of your time to download files onto the PC because there is no way to get them into the tablet, unfortunately.

pastywhitegurl

So I will say farewell to the device then.  :(

I thought there might be a glimmer or hope because Windows was alerting to the connection and actions, but apparently not.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me in this topic.

plodr

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It just seems to me that Asus tablets are more prone to this. When I was searching for a solution, I saw lots of people with a MeMo with the problem. Perhaps the storage was inadequate as the size of android increased.

I now have Samsung Galaxy tablets (2@10" and 1@8") and have no issues with any of them. I recently bought the second 10" tablet because the original 10" from 2016 is running android 8 and was not able to install the 2023 Jacquie Lawson Advent calendar app on it because of the old android version. So far I haven't had other apps refuse to update or install on it but it might happen.  When I saw a 10" on sale for $179.99, I decided to buy it so we'd have a working 10" tablet for my husband's monthly Zoom meetings.