The Recipe Thread:

Started by R-C, September 20, 2008, 09:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric the Red

Corrine,

For those of us who are metric or those who still use imperial measurements, how big is a cup? It may just be a male thing, I always have difficulty in judging cup sizes!
"The time to start running is around about the "e" in "Hey, you!" "

Corrine

Eric the Red,

I fear that there must have been something lacking in your British education and not necessarily attributable to males in general.  My husband had the advantage of attending school in three countries and has no difficulty judging cup sizes.  In fact, he can generally tell at a glance. 

Perhaps this will help:  http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Temmu

pbj sandwich

ingredient list:
4 slices white name brand sandwich bread
1 jar name brand peanut butter
1 jar fruit jam - jelly just will not do...

lay 2 breads on plate
slather on peanut butter
slather on jam
lay other breads on top of first 2
slice diagonally from corner to corner producing 2 triangles per sandwich

serves 1 - 2

enjoy with ice cold lemonade (fresh squoze)

Corrine

Quote from: GR@PH;<'S on September 20, 2008, 09:12:04 PM

This is open all members but anyone who puts up a recipe must only do so if they have tried it out personally and can vouch for it   :tease:

GR@PH;<'S   :Hammys pint:
Temmu,

Are you certain you can vouch for that recipe?  Anyone who knows anything about PB&J knows that it is served with milk as an accompaniment.  :smash:

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Niecarrah

HERE HERE!!!!  Ice Cold Milk is the ONLY thing that goes with a PB&J!  Lemonade and sweet jelly/jam ooooooooooo!
I can't know...?
NEVER LET BEING GOOD ENOUGH, BE GOOD ENOUGH!"

Niecarrah

Anyone have a good recipe for Alfredo Sauce?
I can't know...?
NEVER LET BEING GOOD ENOUGH, BE GOOD ENOUGH!"

GR@PH;<'S

Anyone got any that would go down a treat at the office Halloween party

press Enter then have a Brandy then if the problem is still there have another Brandy
Q: does it work
A: It does seem to for a few hours at least.

Eric the Red

I haven't tried any of these recipes but the following link seems to be what you are looking for:

http://www.halloweenkitchen.com/
"The time to start running is around about the "e" in "Hey, you!" "

R-C

oh I have a really easy cake one that is great for Halloween, you get some of those gummy worm candies to put on it, it is on my other pc I will go fetch it.
registered Linux user:476595
May inspiration fill your heart and hands, run down your legs onto your feet and cause Spontaneous Dancing! :dance:

GR@PH;<'S

Eric the Red,
VAMPIRE PUNCH Sound good to me  :mitch:
Fancy that me going to try it
all i need is

1 chilled 25.4-ounce bottle sparkling cider (about 3 1/4 cups)
1 chilled 1-quart bottle cranberry juice cocktail
1 chilled 1-liter bottle club soda or seltzer water
1 cup dark rum if desired  :cheers2:

press Enter then have a Brandy then if the problem is still there have another Brandy

R-C

Ok there are 2 recipes you can use to do this kind of cake one is called Dirt Cake one is Kitty litter.

for Halloween the dirt cake works really well, instead of putting it in a flower pot I just put it in a metal rectangle cake pan, then I put those gummy worms poking up out of the "dirt" you can also get those little plastic RIP headstones to put on it or even small plastic skeletons.

Dirt Cake

1 (16-ounce) package chocolate cream-filled cookies

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

2 (4-serving-size) boxes instant chocolate-fudge flavored pudding
3 cups milk

1 (12-ounce) container non-dairy whipped topping, thawed

1 new (8-inch) diameter flower pot, washed and dried
1 new garden trowel, washed and dried
Plastic flowers, cleaned and dried

3 large gummy worms

1.     Crush cookies until they resemble potting soil, set aside.

2.     Cream butter, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth and
fluffy. Set aside.

3.     Combine pudding mix and milk until well blended, fold in the whipped topping.

4.     Gently fold cream cheese and pudding mixture together.

5.     Line flower pot with plastic wrap.

6.     To put the cake together, layer 1/3 of the cookie crumbs followed by 1/2 the pudding mixture, 1/3 of the crumbs, the remaining pudding mixture and top with the remaining cookie crumbs.

7.     Refrigerate 10 to 12 hours or overnight. About 1/2 hour before serving, remove from refrigerator and decorate with flowers and gummy worms.

8.     Serve by digging out portions with the trowel.

Here is the kitty litter one.
KITTY LITTER CAKE

1 (18.25 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (12 ounce) package vanilla sandwich cookies
3 drops green food coloring
1 (12 ounce) package tootsie rolls

Prepare cake mixes and bake according to package directions (any size pan).

Prepare pudding according to package directions and chill until ready to assemble.

Crumble sandwich cookies in small batches in a food processor, scraping often. Set aside all but 1/4 cup. To the 1/4 cup add a few drops of green food coloring and mix.

When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl. Toss with 1/2 of the remaining cookie crumbs, and the chilled pudding. You probably won't need all of the pudding, you want the cake to be just moist, not soggy.

Line kitty litter box with the kitty litter liner. Put cake mixture into box.

Put half of the unwrapped tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until softened. Shape the ends so that they are no longer blunt, and curve the tootsie rolls slightly. Bury tootsie rolls randomly in the cake and sprinkle with half of the remaining cookie crumbs. Sprinkle a small amount of the green colored cookie crumbs lightly over the top.

Heat 3 or 4 of the tootsie rolls in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle lightly with some of the green cookie crumbs. Heat the remaining tootsie rolls until pliable and shape as before. Spread all but one randomly over top of cake mixture. Sprinkle with any remaining cookie crumbs. Hang the remaining tootsie roll over side of litter box and sprinkle with a few green cookie crumbs. Serve with the pooper scooper for a gross Halloween dessert.

it is very disgusting looking LOL  you can do this in a deep oven pan instead of the litter box if you don't want to get that graphic!

May inspiration fill your heart and hands, run down your legs onto your feet and cause Spontaneous Dancing! :dance:

R-C

this is the Alfredo sauce recipe I usually use because it is so easy and it is good.
Alfredo Sauce:
1 pint heavy cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Freshly cracked black pepper
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

To prepare alfredo sauce: Heat heavy cream over low-medium heat in a deep saute pan. Add butter and whisk gently to melt. Sprinkle in cheese and stir to incorporate. Season with freshly cracked black pepper. In a large stockpot, cook pasta in plenty of boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Quickly drain the pasta and add it to the saute pan, gently toss the noodles to coat in the alfredo. Transfer pasta to a warm serving bowl. Top with more grated cheese and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes

GR@PH;<'S

R-C,
Sounds good we will have to try one Kitty litter I thin looks the best more realistic looking  :tease:

R-C

I know they look horrid but they are actually very good tasting cakes.

Corrine

I love noodles & pasta (grew up on a poultry farm and my grandmother made fresh home made noodles every week) and the Alfredo Sauce recipe sounds wonderful.  I would try it in a flash but unfortunately I need something "heart healthy" for my husband (doesn't hurt me either).