iTunes Phishing Scam

Started by Hardhead, February 06, 2020, 01:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardhead

Got this one a couple of week ago.

Corrine

I received that one too.  Easy to recognize that phish particularly since I don't have an Apple ID.  ;D

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

plodr

I've never used iTunes so that would go in the trash.

I haven't used any hardware from Apple since 1989. I got 2 calls from "Apple" lately telling me something was infected. I didn't hang on long enough to listen if they thought I had a computer, iPad or iPhone.
Chugging coffee and computing!

Corrine

I dumped the land-line some time ago and only answer my cell if the caller is in my address book.  Easy enough to delete the garbage messages left.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

plodr

I only answer the phone if my husband is out, figuring he might be trying to call.
As it is, I get him once every 10 - 12 calls and the rest is junk!
Chugging coffee and computing!

Ssherjj

Hello... I have a Landlane but my IP blocks all of the Phishing & robo calls...etc. Besides I rarely use that phone. My cell has Call Protection by Malwarebytes.

But it is also great to know there is a Phishing Scam going around...
Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows  ALIENWARE 17R4 Win 10 Workstation Pro x64 (1909)  / Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) W 10 & (VM:15) & Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete (Android Samsung Galaxy Note), iPad 6th Generation v13.2.3 -Webroot Beta. Voodooshields Beta Tester, Security

Hardhead

Quote from: Ssherjj on February 07, 2020, 04:19:33 PM
Hello... I have a Landlane but my IP blocks all of the Phishing & robo calls...etc. Besides I rarely use that phone. My cell has Call Protection by Malwarebytes.

I also use Malwarebytes beta and it works great. I got rid of my landline 11 + years ago.

Ssherjj

Quote from: Hardhead on February 12, 2020, 02:39:16 AM

I also use Malwarebytes beta and it works great. I got rid of my landline 11 + years ago.

I was even surprised when Malwarebytes popped up on my browser using my cell and told me the webpage that I wanted to go on was being blocked for being a Security Risk? It has been awhile since that happened but I knew then I was being protected after all!
Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows  ALIENWARE 17R4 Win 10 Workstation Pro x64 (1909)  / Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) W 10 & (VM:15) & Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete (Android Samsung Galaxy Note), iPad 6th Generation v13.2.3 -Webroot Beta. Voodooshields Beta Tester, Security

Hardhead

Quote from: Ssherjj on February 12, 2020, 02:58:01 AM
Quote from: Hardhead on February 12, 2020, 02:39:16 AM

I was even surprised when Malwarebytes popped up on my browser using my cell and told me the webpage that I wanted to go on was being blocked for being a Security Risk? It has been awhile since that happened but I knew then I was being protected after all!
Yes, that's correct Ssherjj it blocks bad sites too. Only catch is Safari is the only browser that it works with but that's an Apple thingy because they make the rules. I had a website that I went to that I accidentally wrote down the url and I got a fake alert on my iPhone that said:
QuoteATTENTION - Viruses found!
Your Apple is serverely damaged by (39) viruses? Soon your Apple SIM card will be corrupted and it will damage your contacts, photos, data, applications, etc.. Close 
Went back again to the same url again and it had changed it read below:
Quote* YOUR APPLE DEVICE HAS A VIRUS*
Apple iOS Alert!!
PEGASUS (SPYWARE) ACTIVATED
System might be...... Close
Don't be fooled by these scare tactics because I already knew that Apple patched the PEGASUS long ago right when it began. Can't remember the exact date tho. I reported it to Malwarebytes and they took care of it very fast. It was one of my retirement funds url.
It amazes me what they will do to make you think that you have a problem. I was just a little smarter than they were. So if Safari blocks a site Malwarebytes is doing its job correctly. Don't be fooled with the scare tactics Ssherjj.
If you ever have any problems feel free to PM me anytime.

Hardhead

Oh sorry, I forgot to add the Apple will be doing away from iTunes soon also. If you have the correct security installed I believe you will still be able to use it tho.  :P