Freedomlist - So long and thanks for all the fish!

Started by Corrine, June 08, 2016, 01:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corrine

There are 208 saves of FL pages at https://web.archive.org/web/*/freedomlist.com.  Just pick the year and the dates with the blue circle mean pages were saved.  When you click the Forum link like this one from 2001 which was before there was forum registration, https://web.archive.org/web/20010420223355/http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/viewforum.php?forum=3, you'll find that the are even saved posts.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

v_v

Thanks for the archive links Corrine.  While the archive is certainly not complete it does provide a few glimpses over the life-years of the site.

It felt like I was looking at really old pictures, which is basically what the pages are at this point.

Or maybe the better analogy would be that it was like looking at fossils:  preserved structures with all of the life gone out of them!  (Sigh)

v_v
Justice, Equity, and Meaningful, Productive, and Fulfilling Lives to All Earthlings

nyancat

Wow...

I just happened to type freedomlist.com (on a whim), and it's gone...

I'll have to boot up one of the old computers and see what my user name was back then. I pretty much fell out of the forum when the registration thing started, but still stopped by to see what was up every couple of weeks for years.

Those were exciting times for computers and the internet! I still have all the computers from those days, all the way back to the junky Packard Bell 486 in the mid nineties. Maybe I'll bring them all out of storage in another 10 years or so, heh heh...

Corrine

The "registration thing" started around the end of 2000, early 2001 so you'll need to go back quite a ways, nyancat.  Do let us know if you figure out your username though.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

CaptainTripps

Quote from: v_v on August 12, 2016, 12:39:57 AM
I just wish that everything was archived somewhere so we could all refer to it.  (Sigh)

v_v
When things first began going 'south' on FL, I started searching through the site and thought that maybe I should start taking full page screenshots just in case the forum disappeared - after 2 hours of reading, I realized that it would take a massive team effort to ever get that accomplished.  Now, I wish I'd saved even a few pages because the online archive is only a small sample of what was...

A quick run through of My Documents revealed that I DO have a couple pages saved from July 28 & 29, 2008.  The thread of the 28th was started by "plodr" with the last post by "pldor".  The cleaned up post of the 29th was ended by "tehcie".  This was during Sk8trBoi's attempt to further annoy Corrine and the other admins.  Maybe I should print them out, frame them and send copies to Corrine, plodr & techie???   ;D    I sure wish I had the page concerning covering the vents on his laptop - and the one where I asked Corrine what towels she recommended for that purpose when I purchased my first laptop.  Maybe they're on the archive site or hidden somewhere on my computer?  Good and bad times - weren't they?

plodr

Save your ink CaptainTripp. Some of those threads are in my memory bank.
I've since run across many a user as clueless as Sk8trBoi at other places on the internet. It seems like there is a never ending supply of people who should never go near a computer.

I tell my husband about some of the posts and he says, "that can't be for real. Surely someone is making that up." Nope, sadly not.
Chugging coffee and computing!

Corrine

Sk8trBoi certainly was a trip.  I doubt any of us who were around then will forget about covering the vents on his laptop to protect it from food.

v_v

Ahh yes, the "julie" / "Sk8trBoi" episodes / memories!  Tickles your fancy, don't they?!  (Smile)

v_v
Justice, Equity, and Meaningful, Productive, and Fulfilling Lives to All Earthlings

Corrine

plodr

But you know Corrine, at every forum, there is someone to replace those posters you wish you could forget.  ;) I won't name names!

I frequent quite a few forums and certain names stick in my mind. When I see a new thread by one of these people, I think "now what nonsense is he/she posting about". I generally read to get my laugh of the day, shake my head and move on where I can offer some genuine help.
Chugging coffee and computing!

Corrine

v_v

Starting yesterday Thursday 8-25-2016 the Freedomlist.com name pulls up a page with a site name of "MandarinMusing".  It is hard to tell whether the page was just hijacked by a hacker or whether some entity is holding it for ? ? ?  As it currently stands the page seems non-functional but perhaps potentially dangerous in the future (with possible treacherous links)?

v_v

Dude111

It didnt take long for someone to grab the domain!!

techie

If you have given the old freedomlist  a good WOT rating, you may want to change or remove it. The new site is riding the original sites WOT reputation rating. A Chinese bearing company, selling makeup products???

It requires to login or registration to view there products, email phishing, probably.

Dude111