Visual History of Your Favorite Technology

Started by Corrine, January 22, 2022, 03:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corrine

I had a "walk back in time" scrolling through the Microsoft history at Version Museum: A Visual History of Your Favorite Technology that xrobwx71 posted at another forum.  I was reminded that my first home OS was Windows 3.1 and Windows for Workgroups at work.

Thanks for the trip back in time, Rob. :)

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

v_v

My, my, I guess that I am old!  (Smile)  The Commodore 8032 computer, monitor, and keyboard (combined in one unit) and the Commodore CBM 8050 disk drive (dual drive 1 MB floppies in one unit) were not listed.  I suppose that the computer was driven by Commodore BASIC and the disk drives by Commodore DOS (2.5/2.721?).  (I knew nothing about operating systems back then.)  This was all circa 1982 and these machines were before the very poplular Commodore 64 and the later Commodore Amiga.  I probably had a copy of the Commodore WordPro 2 Plus word processing program to go along with the machines (but I never used it and did not really understand it).

Back in those days basically the only personal computer choices were the various Commodore machines, the Apple II, and the Radio Shack TRS-80 --- the so-called "Trinity" as they are referred to these days.  (See "personal computer history" at Wikipedia.)

I hung on to the above machines until switching to the AT&T 6300 in 1985, which by then was following the IBM pc-compatible model---but still DOS based.  As for as word processors were concerned at that point I switched to WordPerfect 4.2---and trained myself very well on it and its popular successors 5.0 and 5.1, well enough to produce a high quality 32 page black and white journal/magazine/newsletter on the early HP Laserjets.  (I would print one master copy on the Laserjet and then take the copies to a copy shop to be mass copied, folded and stapled.)  To this day I still prefer WordPerfect over the currently more dominant word processor standard.

Finally in 1999 friends helped me to purchase one of the ubiquitous generic clone computers which is when I finally arrived at Windows, starting with version 95.

Time does move on they say. . . .  (Smile)

v_v
Justice, Equity, and Meaningful, Productive, and Fulfilling Lives to All Earthlings

xrobwx71

Quote from: Corrine on January 22, 2022, 03:09:12 PM
I had a "walk back in time" scrolling through the Microsoft history at Version Museum: A Visual History of Your Favorite Technology that xrobwx71 posted at another forum.  I was reminded that my first home OS was Windows 3.1 and Windows for Workgroups at work.

Thanks for the trip back in time, Rob. :)

Anytime Corrine! Seems like it was just yesterday, doesn't it?

Corrine

That is quite a history!  I hope you're not still using Windows 95, v_v.  :)

Quote from: xrobwx71 on January 22, 2022, 09:19:29 PM
Anytime Corrine! Seems like it was just yesterday, doesn't it?

That it does!

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

v_v

Corrine wrote,

QuoteI hope you're not still using Windows 95, v_v.

No, but I do have an IBM Thinkpad salvage project related to Windows 2000 that I will bring to the board for help soon!  (Smile)

v_v
Justice, Equity, and Meaningful, Productive, and Fulfilling Lives to All Earthlings

raymac46

I go all the way back to punch cards and FORTRAN but my first home computer was a Commodore VIC-20 with cartridges for games and a cassette tape drive for programming. Later on I had a Commodore 64 and Amiga 500. My first laptop was a B&W screen clone that had an 80286 CPU and ran Windows 3.0 At work I used Windows 3.11 and NT4 before I retired in 2005.
I have been through most Windows iterations since then (now using Windows 11.) I got into Linux in 2007 so I also run that on older hardware.