HP Stream 7

Started by Corrine, February 13, 2015, 02:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corrine

Testing my new toy.  I figured a tablet made more sense than a Kindle.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Corrine

BTW, it was $79 and being the "Signature Edition", no added extras.  Buy HP Stream 7 Signature Edition Tablet - Microsoft Store

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

ky331

Corrine

Does your wife's stylus work with it and, if so, what kind is it?  I increased the display size but still fat-finger too much so think a stylus would make a difference.

ky331

Yes, her stylus is working.   Have to ask her what kind it is... I see no markings on it.   I didn't change the display size... it's definitely small at times.

plodr

If you have a Five Below store, I bought a stylus there for $3. It is also a pen. I didn't want to spend $20 for a stylus.
I've seen the same stylus, or very close to it for $10 - $15 elsewhere.

Next you'll want a bluetooth keyboard. We'll talk when you're ready to buy one.   :grin:
Chugging coffee and computing!

Corrine

I installed Sumatra for reading some ebooks that I have but am finding it difficult with my fingers to use the menu so figure a think stylus is probably in order.  I saw some with pens, another with not only a pen but a flash light and laser pointer too.  I really don't need anything except the stylus.  It will be nice to have with my phone too.  I was looking at these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Bargains-Depot-C2-AE-0-18-inch-Rubber-Series/dp/B00D5GC78O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Universal-Capacitive-Replaceable-Detachable/dp/B0092KRAXY/ref=pd_cp_cps_0

Since I have Amazon gift certificates available to use I was also looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/i-UniK-Stream-Tablet-Windows-Processor/dp/B00PCRE7M8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1423877560&sr=1-1&keywords=HP+Stream+7+case+stylus which includes a stylus.

I thought of you, plodr, when I saw this one because I recall you mentioning an OTG cable in at thread at FL:
http://www.amazon.com/Infiland-Folio-Leather-Stream-Tablet/dp/B00PY06UAA/ref=sr_1_33?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1423877222&sr=1-33&keywords=HP+Stream+7+case+stylus

Thoughts on the stylus or covers?

plodr

I'd go for either of the last two because one of them comes with an OTG cable and the other comes with a stylus so you are getting 2 things for one price. (The miser in me always look for a bargain.

An OTG cable would allow you to add a powered USB hub and use a full size keyboard, mouse, USB stick, large external portable hd.
I've tested all those things on mine.

Corrine

I decided to go for the last one since it includes the OTG cable and I thought that might come in handy.  Besides, it is a bit lighter than the other one and the whole object of the tablet is to be a very light weight device but the case will help protect it.  I added in a 2-pack of 0.18" styluses that includes 6 replaceable tips for $5.99 and I still have a gift card balance. 

It seems ky331 and I were not the only ones to take advantage of the price.  Fellow MVP, Richard Hay did also.  Here are the articles he's written so far:

HP Stream 7: Unboxing and Initial Thoughts
Installing Windows 10 Technical Preview on the HP Stream 7

plodr

Looks good. Enjoy your new tablet and the extras.

My hubby always laughs at how one new piece of hardware generates the need to buy more "things" for it.

ky331

This is my first tablet, so there are many things I have to get used to.  But initially, I'd have to say I'm very impressed with what this machine seems capable of doing  :D

plodr

I love mine. It's Android so I had to learn the ins and outs of it. I also managed to find an e-book for Dummies (Android Tablets) available as a free download from a tech site and that filled in lots of gaps for me.

I bought mine specifically to take pictures. Neither my husband nor I own or want to own smart phones. (I pay $80/year for cellphone per phone and since the unused money keeps accumulating, that is more than enough for us).
When my sister-in-law fell because of a pothole in a restaurant parking lot, her daughter took a picture of her injuries with her phone. That got me thinking that I should have something in the car to take pictures, if needed. I didn't want to get a smartphone and pay $35 and up every month for something we have no use for so a tablet seemed like the smart choice for my situation.