Malwarebytes new version 3.8.3 - WAIT

Started by plodr, July 08, 2019, 06:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plodr

You might want to wait to install this. There are quite a few people with lifetime licenses that have major problems.

My laptop updated yesterday and I had zero problems. (I have 5 lifetime licenses all in use. I know exactly which license is on each computer.)

This morning I decided to check for updates on my desktop computer. I now have all sorts of problems.
1. I could not activate my lifetime license.
2. I then decided to restore an image I made June 17th. It restored fine but MBAM was the older version and still showed Trial version.
3. I signed up for My Account hoping to get more support than I've gotten on the forum.
4. I downloaded the new version as told on the My support site but when I press the activate button, the malwarebytes support assistant fails to launch and it tells me activation failed and to try manually.  (Yes, I've tried manually 6 - 12 times with the same failure.)
5. Help at the forum told me to deactivate the license and reboot. I did that and now I have the Free rather than the 2 week trial version so I have all protection off.
6. They also want you to download a support tool. The problem with that is that it requires .NET 4. This is not installed on three of the four Win 7 computers and with about 6 months remaining, I'm not about to install .NET 4 and do several years of patching.

I've decided not to update the other two Win 7 computers for fear that they will have the same issues.
Chugging coffee and computing!

ky331

Joe53 had the same problem, with his lifetime license deactivating upon updating MBAM to 3.8.3

Corrine

I had the same issue on my desktop and had problems getting it to take my license (I have two lifetime).  I ran the tool and tried it again and finally it worked. 

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

plodr

Unfortunately I can't run the tool because it requires .NET 4 and three of my four Win 7 computers don't have it.

BUT, after hours I finally have it activated. I created a support account. I went back to that page and chose to deactivate again. I figured it's broken now, I don't think I can break it any further.
I also noticed a section called manage devices. I clicked the down arrow and was able to deactivate it on the desktop listed there.
Once I did that, I went back to the program with the license and ID already filled in and clicked activate. I was surprised to see that if finally worked.
I spent so many hours today just on this one issue.

Digerati

I wonder why these issues with lifetime licenses keep happening? Are those of us with such licenses such a dying breed (percentage wise) that we are overlooked in beta?

I'm still at 3.7.1 - guess I stay here for awhile.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

plodr

My husband's theory is that they aren't making money off of us so they'd like us to buy yearly licenses.  8)
One worked with no problem but the other had issues. I wonder what the difference is? The one with no issues is 64 bit Win 7 Home and has .NET 4. So perhaps it has something to do with either or both of those.
Back in 2017, my husband's desktop had a problem (32 bit Win 7 Pro) but the other three were fine.

Anyway, I was told to contact them (it is next to impossible to find an email address) and tell them all the licenses and have them reset all of them.
Since I couldn't remember what email address or addresses I signed up with the 5 programs, I opted to use a new email address. That's the one the My Account page is now using.
I save some emails but I didn't save the email from the first time I purchased MBAM in 2008! I probably cleared it out after 7 or 8 years.

Corrine

From some of the threads I read at the forum, it appears that quite a few people have been using a single device license on multiple computers.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Corrine

In part from Malwarebytes is Now Enforcing Lifetime Licenses to One PC:

QuoteWith the release of Malwarebytes 3.8, a new license system is being used that enforces the 1 PC per Lifetime license restriction. This has caused a wave of complaints by users who are now finding that their license is not working on multiple machines.

When Malwarebytes was first released, you could use it for free without real-time protection or pay $24.95 for a lifetime premium license.

In 2014, Malwarebytes decided to switch to a yearly subscription model and offered their users the ability to purchase additional Lifetime licenses for $24.95 for a limited amount of time. This license was intended for only one PC, but Malwarebytes did not enforce this restriction when users installed it on other machines.

Pete!

Does that mean one machine at a time, or only the original machine?

MikeW

Just one machine at a time. If you wish to migrate it to another you must deactivate it first and then re install on the other machine.  All much easier if you open an account first.

Hope this helps
Win 11 Home MS Edge - WD - Mbam Pro

MikeW

Win 11 Home MS Edge - WD - Mbam Pro

Digerati

Quote from: plodrMy husband's theory is that they aren't making money off of us so they'd like us to buy yearly licenses.
Yeah, that's probably a common assumption - but that's the way it's been with lifetime licenses forever. But businesses survive by growing and "earning" new customers, not by shutting out old customers. So I would hope his theory is not motivating this as that would suggest profit is the intent rather than simple ToU compliance. Of course, earning profit is always a business goal so the irony of my statement is not lost on me either.

Quote from: CorrineFrom some of the threads I read at the forum, it appears that quite a few people have been using a single device license on multiple computers.
:( Yeah, there are always those who will abuse the system.

If the upgrade process is detecting the same license on multiple machines, I think MB would do themselves and users a service and toss up a popup explaining why the real-time (Premium) components are being disabled. I think it is always best to get out in front of something users will not like instead of trying to explain yourself after - even if you are in the right from the start. I'm just saying proactive PR/damage control is better than reactive damage control when it comes to customer acceptance of a situation.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

plodr

Since I have 5 separate licenses in use on 5 different computers, I still don't know what the problem was on this computer. I've never used a license on more than one computer at a time. If I didn't have a license, I used the free version.

This license, purchased in 2008 was moved from a 2K computer to an XP computer then to this Win 7 computer after deactivating and then removing MBAM from each computer as it was taken offline and didn't need protection. This was the first time I've had a problem with the program/license and it has been installed on this computer since perhaps 2011.

I had a problem in 2017 on my husband's Win 7 computer but that was cleared up quickly after I emailed support. Now it is impossible to find an email address for support. I resorted to sending a PM to one of the Trusted Advisors on the forum to see what to do.

Pete!

Turned out that I was already using Version 3.8.3. The Key never went AWOL, and everything works fine.

Apparently my update went so smoothly, that I forgot about it.

Digerati

QuoteApparently my update went so smoothly, that I forgot about it.
Well that's a good thing! :)
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018