Not saving log in password Edge

Started by pete, January 17, 2020, 03:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pete

Hi all

I downloaded Edge today I have saved my log in information on several web sites.
On this site it will not save password etc.
Saves okay in Firefox.

Cheers Pete
Even I'm Amazed At My Stupidity!!!

Corrine

That is strange.  I generally use Pale Moon on the forums due to the extensions that I use throughout the day.  However, I launched Edge and first went to edge://settings/passwords and confirmed that both "Offer to save passwords" and "Sign in automatically" were set to on.  There were no sites/passwords listed since I don't generally use Edge on this device but rather use Edge Dev on my other PC.  After logging in, I closed Edge and then launched it again.  I was automatically logged in. 

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

pete

Hello Corrine

Thank you for your reply.

I didn't explain myself correctly the problem I have. (opps sorry)
When I put my user name and password in, then I click Log In
I get no option at all to save my log in information.

When I logged into another forum, I had a pop up asking to save password etc.

Cheers

Corrine

You won't get a pop-up because the SMF Forum software password save option is different.  After you type your usename and password, in the next box click the arrow and select "forever".

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

pete

Quote from: Corrine on January 17, 2020, 07:02:10 PM
You won't get a pop-up because the SMF Forum software password save option is different.  After you type your usename and password, in the next box click the arrow and select "forever".

Hi
Tried this still can not password to save, ah well no huge problem, as I will log in manually.

Cheers

DR M

I think it is a Microsoft Edge Settings issue.

If you go to Settings, by clicking the three dots on the right upper corner at Edge, first make sure that in the Section Privacy and Security the cookies are not disabled (attachment 1). Then, select Choose what to clear and make sure the option Always clear this when I close the browser is not enabled (attachment 2). Of course, in the Section Passwords and Autofill, the option Save passwords has to be enabled. You will be asked by Edge if you want to save the password the first time you fill in your details.
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

pete

Hi DR M
Thank You for your assistance very much appreciated. :)
My settings  seem to be different to your screen shots.
I have to save passwords activated.
For some reason it is only this forum that doesn't offer for me to save log in information.

By the way Edge just had a update to version    79.0.309.68 (Official build) (64-bit)

Cheers

winchester73

Bad cookie?  Try deleting the one saved and see if you are prompted to save a new one next time you log on.
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

pete

Hi winchester73
Thank you for your suggestion, much appreciated.

Deleted cookie, problem persists.

Cheers

pete

Downloaded and installed Google Chrome.

Same problem will not save log in details.

Edge and Chrome have in common they are chromium based.

Cheers

Pete!

I know this is an old topic, but I'm not seeing whether or not it was resolved.

I saw that happen a couple of days ago.
I usually use Firefox, but my wife uses Edge.

She was having problems logging into Experian.
The problem turned out to be "memorized" logins with typing errors in the username.
I reset her password, and deleted the erroneous entries.

When I logged in with the correct username and the new password the login went flawlessly, but I was NOT offered an opportunity to have Edge "remember" it.

When I was deleting the bad memorized entries, I had noticed that down below the memorized logins, was a list of logins NOT memorized. They included one with the correct username.

I deleted it, and on the next login, I was offered an opportunity to have it memorized.
Problem solved.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click on the three dots to the right of the menu bar.
Scroll down and click on "Settings"
Click on "Passwords and autofill"
Click on "Manage Passwords"
See if you have any not memorized, and if landzdown is among them.
If so delete it, logout of landzdown, login again and see if that helps.

v_v

I have experienced the same and similar problems that Pete has.  Every time that I come to Landzdown now, I have to manually log in.  I noticed that this started maybe a couple of months ago or so.  In my case though it is not just with Edge, it has happened with 11 different browsers, some chromium-based and some gecko-based.  This has happened on two relatively-recently installed machines--as in during the last two months, one with Windows 7 and one with Windows 10.  Therefore the cookies were spanking brand new.

The curious thing though is that in a previously-installed laptop--meaning that it was running before the recent two month period--with Windows 10, the automatic log in for Lanzdown works as it always did for many of those same 11 browsers except for Firefox and its 'cousins' Slim and WaterFox.  These Gecko-based browsers do not log in automatically on the laptop just like all 11 browsers do not log in on the other two computers.  (A caveat here is that I never used these browsers to access Landzdown before today, so for all practical purposes it is like they are newly-installed with reference to Landzdown.)  On the other hand SeaMonkey, Pale Moon, and MyPal do log in automatically on this laptop, as do the chromium-based browsers Iron, SlimJet, and Opera.  (I had used all of these browsers to log in to Landzdow previous to the last two or three month period.)  Edge was newly installed on this machine and it also does not log in automatically.  (Epic also does not log in automatically, but then Epic is built to be in private mode at all times so it will not save cookies anyway.)

It is like something changed in the last two or three months, and if you had a browser that was already logging in automatically it will continue to do so.  But if you are installing a new browser on an already established machine or setting up newer computer installations (and therefore new installations of browsers) those browsers will not log in automatically at Landzdown.

And yes, when I manually log in the "forever" is showing.  But for whatever reasons that does not seem to have any effect.

Like with Pete it is no major problem to log in manually, but I am hard-pressed to understand what has and is happening in these circumstances.

(Edit - I should also add that I noticed this during the last two or three months because I was installing the two new (used) computers.  Previous to that I was using the laptop and as stated above because those mentioned browsers on the lapton were already logging in automatically, I would not have noticed when a change might have happened.  So for all I know whatever change that might have happened may have been earlier than two or three months ago.  I noted that Pete started this thread in mid-January so that would have been four months ago.  So the change that I have noticed in the last two or three months could have happened earlier as they did with Pete.  But because everything was working for me at that time on the laptop then I would not have noticed it at that point.)

v_v
Justice, Equity, and Meaningful, Productive, and Fulfilling Lives to All Earthlings

Corrine

Just to double-check, are you using httpS not http?

v_v

Justice, Equity, and Meaningful, Productive, and Fulfilling Lives to All Earthlings

pete