Internet Explorer End of Life (EOL) on Windows 10 - 15Jun2022

Started by Corrine, May 19, 2021, 04:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corrine

From The future of Internet Explorer on Windows 10 is in Microsoft Edge | Windows Experience Blog:

Microsoft Edge has Internet Explorer mode ("IE mode") built in, so you can access those legacy Internet Explorer-based websites and applications straight from Microsoft Edge. With Microsoft Edge capable of assuming this responsibility and more, the Internet Explorer 11 desktop application will be retired and go out of support on June 15, 2022, for certain versions of Windows 10.

Note: This retirement does not affect in-market Windows 10 LTSC or Server Internet Explorer 11 desktop applications. It also does not affect the MSHTML (Trident) engine. For a full list of what is in scope for this announcement, and for other technical questions, please see our FAQ.

See the referenced article for additional information.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Corrine

Windows Insiders with Dev Build 21387 will be the first to run Windows 10 without Internet Explorer.  From Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 21387:

QuoteThe Internet Explorer 11 desktop application is now retired as of this Insider Preview build.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Boz

IE was a good browser.  There are still things I miss about it when compared to other browsers.  But Edge has also become a good browser.  I prefer it over Chrome on my Windows computers.

Chrome isn't terrible, but if I could have Edge instead of Chrome on my Chromebook, I'd like it better.

I got a Chromebook when the plastic on my old Dell Windows laptop literally started falling apart, and after the plastic on the lid broke all the way through, causing the LCD to flex terribly when opening/closing.

The reason I ended up with a Chromebook was because of the currently ridiculously high prices for Windows laptops.  To get a  Windows laptop similar to what I got my wife for $420 in 2019 would cost around $650 +/- today.