Firefox & add-ons

Started by mary3444, August 03, 2022, 09:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mary3444

I have Windows 10 & use Firefox which is up to date. Now my problem, I don't have copy/paste or auto fill any more, use to have both. When I go on to look for help I just can't understand what it says to do. Yes, I am the dumb one on the computer. Every one here has always helped me when I have problems & you explain how to fix what needs to be done so I can understand the fix. I know this is not a big deal but I did get use to those add-ons. Hope everyone is having a good summer.
Thanks
Mary

plodr

I guess I don't understand what you need.
When I want to copy and paste something, I highlight with my mouse what I want to copy and press the keys ctrl + C together. Then I move the cursor where I need it pasted and press the keys ctrl + P together.
I have never used any extension or addon to use copy then paste. I do this in other programs besides my Firefox browser too.
Chugging coffee and computing!

plodr

Okay, why is my post in yellow? Must it be approved because I modified it?
When it posted there was a ( missing so all I did was remove the ) at the end of a sentence.

Now I'll try quick edit instead of using the More menu.

Also, the font in my post box is way different than the font in the final post. I guess i should post that in forum weirdness section.
Chugging coffee and computing!

frapper

Copy/paste is a Windows function, not something in Firefox. It should be similar in almost any other program.

Select your text (highlight it), hit Ctrl+C to copy. Then to paste, put your cursor where you want it and hit Ctrl+V.

Ctrl+P is usually for Print or Print Preview.

mary3444

I have always been able to highlight what I wanted & then on my mouse I would right click & hit copy. Then I would go to where I wanted the text right click again & hit paste. I never had to hold anything down. I will try what you say to do & see if it works. Is auto fill a Windows function too? On some of the things I would go on & was able to just start putting in my name & it would be put in without typing the whole thing. That is gone too & I don't know how to get to that one. Like I said I know nothing about the computer but when I went on Firefox it did say these two things were add-ons. What do I know. Thanks for the help & I hope this works.
Mary

Corrine

Hi, Mary.

Personally, I stopped using Firefox some time ago and Microsoft Edge is now my primary browser. As to your question about autofill for saved passwords, yes, it is a function of Microsoft Edge. In fact, you can do more than that in a one-step process. If you're interested in giving it a try, see How To Import Firefox Passwords To Edge In Windows 10.

This is another useful article to show you How to Add, Edit, or Delete Saved Passwords in Microsoft Edge.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

v_v

Mary,

I am not sure why you have suddenly lost the ability to use your mouse to copy and paste.  That should not change with a Firefox update.

As for autofill you can fix that one fairly easy.

1.  Go to the top left of the browser and click "Tools" and then "Settings";
2.  Once the Settings tab opens, on the left side click "Privacy & Security";
3.  Scroll down the page until you come to "Forms and Autofill";
4.  Put a check mark in the options that you wish for.

Depending on what else you might want, another type of 'fill in' option is available for the address bar.  On that same page you can scroll down a little past "Forms and Autofill" to the "Address Bar — Firefox Suggest" section, and put a check mark in whichever options you might want there too.  These options will start searching for suggestions as you type in the address bar.

Yet another kind of "fill in" option is available for searches.  For this just go back over to the left side and right above "Privacy & Security", click "Search".  Then scroll down to "Search Suggestions" and put a check mark in whichever options you might want there also.

When you are finished making all of your choices, simply close the tab.  That is all that there is to it.

All the suggestions about the copy and paste circumstances that others have posted are valid.  You can still hightlight whatever you wish with your mouse and then hit "ctrl" and "c" together to "copy" something, and then "ctrl" and "v" together to paste.

Also after highlighting something with your mouse, you can also go to the top left of the browser and click "Edit".  There you will find options for Copy, Paste, Cut, and others.  You can click on whichever one you want if necessary, or use the keyboard strokes indicated on the right side of that "Edit" screen.

For a possible mouse capability restoration, you might want to do a re-installation of Firefox to see if your mouse capabilty gets restored.  To do this I would recommend using the full installer version from this page " https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-release ".  Click the "Download Now" button in the bottom right corner.  Once the installer has download to whichever location you have chosen, go find the installer and double click on it to begin the installation process.  You should be able to install or refresh your current application without having to uninstall anything, although you should close Firefox before the re-installation.  Once everything has reinstalled, check to see if your mouse capabilities have been restored.

Let us know the results.

v_v
Justice, Equity, and Meaningful, Productive, and Fulfilling Lives to All Earthlings

v_v

Mary,

It just occurred to me that you did not say whether you could use your mouse to copy and paste in other programs on your computer.  If your mouse does not copy and paste in Firefox or in any other program then it could be a mouse problem.  In that case if you have another mouse to test it out, you might wish to do so.

Another possibility is to simply disconnect your mouse, wait around 20 seconds or so, and then re-connect it, to see if that helps.

On the other hand if the mouse problem is limited to Firefox alone, then it is probably NOT a mouse problem.

v_v
Justice, Equity, and Meaningful, Productive, and Fulfilling Lives to All Earthlings

v_v

[Off topic, but in answer to plodr]

plodr,

My guess is that the reason your post appeared in yellow is because perhaps you clicked on your post down in the "Recent posts" section at the bottom of the Main page.  I did that too unknowingly and my post showed up in yellow too.  But when I go to the post through the sub-forum itself everything appears normal.

v_v

pastywhitegurl

This may or may not be helpful, but I lost some mouse functions because my mouse was dirty. When I took it apart and cleaned it, it started working again as before.

In my case, I had lost the function of the scroll wheel click to close tabs.

mary3444

I just want to thank everyone for their help. I did try what everyone said about copy/paste & I can now do that.
Corrine I do not know enough about the computer to even try to change from Firefox to Microsoft Edge, maybe someday I will get up enough nerve to try that. I don't want to loose all my bookmarks.
v_v thanks for your explanation on autofill, I now can do that also.
It is so hard when there is a problem & you just can't understand what someone is telling you to do. Everyone on this site is very helpful. Thanks again
Mary

Corrine

Mary, it is a good idea to have a backup browser -- complete with bookmarks. I apparently wasn't paying enough attention yesterday and edited my post above to add the links to import passwords to Microsoft Edge.  You can also import your favorites from another browser or a file:

• Open Microsoft Edge Edge logo and select Settings and more Three-dot More icon at the top corner of the window.
  • Select Favorites Favorite List icon > Import.
  • Under Import from, select the browser from which you want to import your favorites or select Favorites or bookmarks HTML file.
  • Choose what you want to import from the browser or choose the file you want to import.
  • When the import is complete, you'll see a notification. Select Done.
  • If you imported from a file, you'll find your imported favorites in a folder on the Favorites bar. The folder may be called Imported.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

mary3444

Corrine, I want to thank you for the info about Microsoft Edge. I did try to do this but I gave up. When I purchased this computer I had to pay someone to set it up for me. I just don't know that much about computers to do anything extra. I do appreciate you taking the time to help me but my mind just can't seem let any info in when it comes to new things.
Thanks again for everyone's help & I am sure I will be back again in the future.
Mary

Corrine