edit/modify test timer??

Started by hayc59, February 23, 2017, 05:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayc59

one two three :P :P

« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:55:47 PM »
about 7-8 minutes...not long enough..life and editorials..change in a sec or a heart beat!!

"The most beautiful flower loses her beauty one day, but a hard faithful friend an eternity"
"Beauty that is not hidden to deepest of my soul can be seen that with eyes of the heart"

'Never Forget'

Pete!

My only complaint about this site.
It's super frustrating to see a spelling, grammar, factual,
or punctuation error in one of my posts, where the whole world can see it, and be helpless to do anything about it.

Corrine

Actually, hayc59, there is a 5 minute edit time.  Preview your post before clicking the Post button. 

Pete, I understand and would be happy to make a correction for you -- just send me a PM.  The edit times have been in place for many years.  (Old discussion topic here:  How long is "Modify".

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

hayc59

Still just so weird to be treated like a child man!!
we all have to be so politically correct can you dig it!!

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:42:48 PM »
Quote from: Pete! on February 23, 2017, 06:11:25 PM
My only complaint about this site.
It's super frustrating to see a spelling, grammar, factual,
or punctuation error in one of my posts, where the whole world can see it, and be helpless to do anything about it.
one of points exactly....

« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:53:45 PM »
Peace Out!!

"The most beautiful flower loses her beauty one day, but a hard faithful friend an eternity"
"Beauty that is not hidden to deepest of my soul can be seen that with eyes of the heart"

'Never Forget'

winchester73

Quote from: hayc59 on February 23, 2017, 06:42:20 PM
Still just so weird to be treated like a child man!!
we all have to be so politically correct can you dig it!!

Nobody is treating anyone like a child, nor is there any attempt at political correctness.  The forum software doesn't allow some folks to have a long edit time and others only a short one, nor can one subforum be treated differently than another.  It is one size fits all setting, that's the entire story. 

The five minute edit window was put into place a long time ago for several reasons.  Two that come to mind ... (1) folks editing their logs after a few 'fixes' were applied and causing problems with subsequent cleanup efforts since there were no longer 'before' and 'after' logs to compare, and (2) a few members starting up their flamethrower and then editing out their comments after the eruption started to make it seem they hadn't been involved.

Quote from: Corrine on February 23, 2017, 06:15:22 PM
Preview your post before clicking the Post button. 

That's really the only option available.  It is what it is.  If you find something you wish to have corrected, send a message to an Admin and they'll fix the post for you.

Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

hayc59

windchester73 hello  :-*
Are you trying to tell me you cannot or will not change the time from 5 minutes to 10 or 15!!?
because that is not correct I am sure in the admin panel/settings it takes about I don't know about a minute to do so.

'Never Forget'

winchester73

Quote from: hayc59 on February 23, 2017, 07:39:12 PM
windchester73 hello  :-*
Are you trying to tell me you cannot or will not change the time from 5 minutes to 10 or 15!!?
because that is not correct I am sure in the admin panel/settings it takes about I don't know about a minute to do so.

As I said, the selection in the control panel is a global setting for ALL users (except Mods and Admins) and ALL subforums.   I just went into the admin panel to confirm this is the case.  Of the choices you listed, I guess the only possible answer is 'will not'.  The setting can be changed, but for many reasons (some mentioned above) the admins here have decided that the 5 minute time limit is what LzD will go with.  This subject is revisited every now and then, but the general consensus is that if an edit can't be done in 5 minutes will it make any difference to change it to 10? Or 15?  There is, however, concern that logs can be altered if the limit is too long.  Since this site started out as a 'computer help site', the admins decided to err on the side of caution regarding edit time limits.

When you were a moderator here, you were able to edit your own posts without a time limit.  That was then, this is now.  As I said, it is what it is.
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

hayc59

'Never Forget'

plodr

hayc59, I was just at a forum I frequent and discovered that there is no edit button!
I wanted to edit my post, well within a minute's time and couldn't. So I had to create a post complaining there was no edit button while trying 3 browsers and turning js on and off to see if it was a browser or a setting specific to me. Then I had to post another one with a correction and asking someone to remove my previous 2 posts which did not add to the thread.

(I suspect the owner tweaks the forum software until he breaks it because it doesn't display properly in palemoon and I have to turn off javascript otherwise I don't see a box to type a post/response). I know it isn't the software because 2 other forums I go to use XenForo software and I have zero problems at those two sites.
Chugging coffee and computing!

hayc59

Hello plodr,
I will not go into much detail or whys...but here at this great forum...the boss's made this
decision for the reason given above...and I will respect that!
A forum that has no edit button is just plain whack!
I use Palemoon also and its not an issue where ever I play :)

'Never Forget'

plodr

Well at that forum, Palemoon does not display correctly. I've had to resort to using Cyberfox in order to display the forum.  In Palemoon, sometimes if I refresh 3 or 4 times, it will display correctly but no guarantees on that either.

I know it isn't an addon because I use the same addons in Palemoon, Cyberfox and Firefox.

DR M

Quote from: plodr on February 26, 2017, 08:17:15 PM
Well at that forum, Palemoon does not display correctly. I've had to resort to using Cyberfox in order to display the forum.  In Palemoon, sometimes if I refresh 3 or 4 times, it will display correctly but no guarantees on that either.

I know it isn't an addon because I use the same addons in Palemoon, Cyberfox and Firefox.

plodr, you mean that the site (using Pale Moon) has its images, as some of its titles, in a mess, and after a couple on refreshes usually everything returns to normal?
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

plodr

Yes, Dr. M.

My icon which should be at the top right is down at the bottom and all the menus across the top of all the other forums I frequent are below my icon at the bottom at this one forum.

Eventually I will get tired of having to fire up a different browser just to be able to see and post (but not able to edit anything) and stop going.