Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Update Discussions

Started by winchester73, May 21, 2014, 07:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siljaline

I always use the first party download - https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/ and none other. It's a final and is available to everyone that runs the software. No issues have been reported. 

siljaline
MVPS Hosts . MBAM . Why ESET

darksurfer

Quote from: winchester73 on October 12, 2015, 10:54:10 PM
darksurfer, why did you use a third party site instead of the vendor site to download the new version? ::)
Well, winchester73

he first party site didn't let me download it. I don't know if my downloader won't take but it did take. So, I don't see no harm, therefore, no fowl. Besides, Majorgeeks is pretty reliable.

Sometimes, beggars can be choosers. ;)

Aaron Hulett

Can check if the digital signature is valid from either download location. (It's signed, right?)

siljaline

siljaline

MikeW

Win 11 Home MS Edge - WD - Mbam Pro

siljaline

The Self Protection module being enabled is a non-default setting. It was recommended to be enabled in order to mitigate a previous vulnerability which has now been patched.
Quote from: MikeW on March 19, 2016, 08:42:19 AM
Why would you recommend that
siljaline

Metallica

That is correct, but I would still enable the Self Protection module unless you have experienced conflicts with it at an earlier stage.

Quote from: siljaline on March 19, 2016, 08:17:49 PM
The Self Protection module being enabled is a non-default setting. It was recommended to be enabled in order to mitigate a previous vulnerability which has now been patched.
Quote from: MikeW on March 19, 2016, 08:42:19 AM
Why would you recommend that

plodr

I have never touched the Advanced Settings on the computer I am currently using.
Self protection is enabled so either that is the default setting or MBAM changed the setting with one of the updates.
Just checked my netbook and it is enabled there also. I haven't changed any of the advanced settings on there either.

Is there a thread at the MBAM forum outlining this particular setting?
Chugging coffee and computing!

ky331

If memory serves me, enabling self-protection prevented removal of MBAM's icon from one's desktop:   People who preferred to keep their desktop "clean" --- and run MBAM either from the system tray icon or from the START menu --- couldn't remove the desktop icon... unless they disabled self-protection.   This is admittedly a minor issue (I would hope)... but an issue (for some) nonetheless.

Corrine

That could have been the reason but definitely a minor issue.  I'd prefer to keep it enable4d.  Malwarebytes | What is the self-protection module and why should I enable it?

QuoteThe self-protection module, also known as Malwarebytes Chameleon, protects Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from being stopped or modified by an infection on the system.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Metallica

The importance of enabling the self-protection module was pointed out due to the vulnerabilities it stopped. That does not mean that we have to advise people to disable it now that the vulnerabilities have been fixed.
It is a security feature protecting the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program. It is brought as a setting so people can disable it in case it stops them from changing something they want to change to the program or its settings. Or in cases where it might conflict with other security software. Although I'm not aware of any such current conflicts.

MikeW

Clearly it should be ENABLED for best safety. The problems with this were from a long time ago, I have had no issue with it for the past year.
As for the desktop icon just remove it before enabling self protection, and then all is well.
Win 11 Home MS Edge - WD - Mbam Pro

siljaline

In the post build that fixed the various issues already discussed here the Self Protection Module in Advanced Settings is disabled by default. 
While one can enable the above as extra protection - it is not a default setting! As a security expert I don't recommend running a Tweaked version of your AS Software unless expressly instructed to by the Vendor of said AS Software.     
siljaline

ky331

From the MBAM User Guide:

Enable self-protection module: This setting controls whether Malwarebytes Anti-Malware creates a safe zone to prevent malicious manipulation of the program and its components. Checking this box introduces a one-time delay as the self-protection module is enabled. While not a negative, the delay may be considered undesirable by some users. When unchecked, the "early start" option which follows is disabled.

• Enable self-protection early start: When the self-protection module is enabled, you may choose to enable or disable this option. When enabled, the self-protection module will become enabled earlier in the computer's boot process â€" essentially changing the order of services and drivers associated with your computer's startup.

hayc59

I would not tell anyone to disable that function..especially in this program!
I just upgraded and after install checked and it is 'ticked' enabled

"The most beautiful flower loses her beauty one day, but a hard faithful friend an eternity"
"Beauty that is not hidden to deepest of my soul can be seen that with eyes of the heart"

'Never Forget'