Windows Defender scheduled scan

Started by DR M, July 03, 2021, 09:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR M

Hello.

Ever few days, Windows Defender gets that yellow warning triangle, that a scan is needed. Is there a way to do that by itself like Malwarebytes does every day?

Should I set it my self as a scheduled task or is there a setting I can enable for that?

Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

v_v

Panos,

Are you using Windows 10?  If so when you right click on the Windows Security icon on your taskbar and choose "View Security Dashboard", are all of the settings that you can find through the links on the dashboard set to "On"?  There are several categories of links there and all of mine are set to "On" and all of the scans happen automatically for me.  I never get that yellow triangle anymore nor do I have to do anything manually.

You can also get to the same pages by clicking the "Start" button, "Settings", "Windows Security", "Open Windows Security".

v_v
Justice, Equity, and Meaningful, Productive, and Fulfilling Lives to All Earthlings

Digerati

QuoteEver few days, Windows Defender gets that yellow warning triangle, that a scan is needed.
I'm not getting these. The only time I see a warning that a scan is needed is when the computer has been turned off for several days and a scan has not been performed recently. Most notably I see this on my notebook because I don't use it often.

Microsoft Defender (formally Windows Defender) is designed to run when the computer is not being used or when you go idle. If you always turn off your computer when done using it, that may be part of the problem (though technically, telling you a scan is needed is NOT a problem). I just let mine go to sleep.

You can look in Task Scheduler to see when it is scheduled to scan. If no task is scheduled, it just scans based on the time it last scanned. If you set a schedule, it will scan at that time - unless you power off then it will attempt to scan when you come back.

My advice is to scan, then just let your computer go to sleep. Much happens to our computers when we are away - good things. Windows updates, housekeeping tasks (indexing, defragging and more) and our security programs (not just Defender) scan.

If you want to change the scan times and frequency, see How To Set Your Own Scan Schedule For Windows Defender Antivirus and scroll down to "Schedule Updates With Task Scheduler" (don't ask me why it says "updates". I think he meant to say "Scan times").

For the record, I recommend once daily scans though weekly is probably sufficient since Microsoft Defender is already scanning everything in real-time anyway.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

DR M

Hi, v_v and Digerati.

Yes, I use Windows 10, and everything is fine in the Security at a glance window.

The problem is that every few days I'm getting the yellow triangle warning about not a scheduled scan done.

QuoteYou can look in Task Scheduler to see when it is scheduled to scan. If no task is scheduled, it just scans based on the time it last scanned. If you set a schedule, it will scan at that time - unless you power off then it will attempt to scan when you come back.

There was a scheduled scan for today, but no scan is performed while I am using the computer.

I always shut it down (not send it to sleep).

I created a new task for every Sunday and I will see what is going to happen tomorrow.
Grecian Geek

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

Digerati

QuoteI always shut it down (not send it to sleep).

I created a new task for every Sunday and I will see what is going to happen tomorrow.
Well, just remember your computer has to be on (or at least in sleep mode) for the scan to happen. If you shut it down, you likely will see your yellow warning again. That is normal behavior.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

DR M

I don't think that the scan took place at all.

Although the Task Scheduler shows that the next scan is next Sunday, the Windows Defender status shows as last scan the one done yesterday.

The computer was on, and I was working on it.
Grecian Geek

Pete!

I shut my computer down, and turn off the surge suppressor, when I'm not using it.

As far as I can tell anything scheduled during the night starts shortly after the next boot.

The only time I had to do manual scans in Defender, was when I was using Mcafee, or ESET, as my primary AV.

Possible factor: I currently have "Always register Malware Bytes in the Windows Security Center" turned off.

Digerati

QuoteI don't think that the scan took place at all.

The computer was on, and I was working on it.
It is purposely designed to scan way way in the background so you don't notice it.

It is important to remember that these scan really are not necessary, except for peace of mind. This because Defender is constantly monitoring our systems 24/7/365, not just looking for malicious code being saved on our drives, but everything coming in and going out of our systems (emails, webpages, etc., and malicious behavior that might be going on in the computer's memory.

The fact of the matter is, these scans are redundant.

Go back to your Settings > Virus & threat protection page. It will show the last scan and type (I have mine set to quick). Then look down a bit to Virus & threat protection updates. Mine right now says last update was today at 8:49. am and that my "Security intelligence is up to date". If yours says the same (time might be different), then you are good to go.

QuotePossible factor: I currently have "Always register Malware Bytes in the Windows Security Center" turned off.
Yes - this is what you want if you want both Malwarebytes and Microsoft Defender to run at the same time. I have the same setting set in my Malwarebytes control panel.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

DR M

QuoteGo back to your Settings > Virus & threat protection page. It will show the last scan and type (I have mine set to quick). Then look down a bit to Virus & threat protection updates. Mine right now says last update was today at 8:49. am and that my "Security intelligence is up to date". If yours says the same (time might be different), then you are good to go.

Security Intelligence is up to date here too. But as I said in my previous post, the last scan shown is the one I manually did yesterday.

QuoteThe fact of the matter is, these scans are redundant.

I understand. But what bothers me is the yellow warning about WD needs my attention, and that a scheduled scan has to be done.

QuotePossible factor: I currently have "Always register Malware Bytes in the Windows Security Center" turned off.

Sure. But it's not the case.
Grecian Geek

Digerati

Are you saying you still have that yellow warning?
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

DR M

No.

But I will probably get it in a few days.  :)
Grecian Geek

Digerati

Well, again, if you turn your computer off when done using it, that would be expected.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

DR M

Grecian Geek

Digerati

Looks like it scanned to day and is scheduled to scan next Sunday. But again, it is running all the time and updates happen much more often than that - often several times a day, depending on what is happening out in the wild. I just checked again and another since my last post was released. Just another reason to let the computer go to sleep.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
2007 - 2018

DR M

QuoteJust another reason to let the computer go to sleep.

That means that I will have it on power all the time, since no battery available. I don't want that.

I'll try it however. It is something I would like to search about months now, I guess the time has come.
Grecian Geek