Need help....computer is stuck on restart

Started by pastywhitegurl, January 15, 2024, 04:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pastywhitegurl

Writing from another device.  Was distracted by another problem tonight and initiated a restart on my Windows 10 computer forgetting that the monthly update had not yet finished downloading and installing.  I think the NET update was maybe 70 percent installed.

It seems to be stuck and just has this message: "Getting windows ready, don't turn off your computer" for the last half hour. I'm hoping it will sort itself out, but I don't hear the drives doing anything.    Going to bed now, and I'm afraid to shut it down because of the warning.    so I will just leave it run tonight, but if it is still stuck there in the morning, what should I do?

Thanks for being willing to help goofy people like me. :)

Can't update my computer specs link right now.   but the only change is i do have the Windows 10   22H2 version

pastywhitegurl

Good news! Just as I was falling asleep I heard the Windows music.  It then completed the reboot.  Half the updates had installed (NET framework and NET security update).  Two other updates are finishing their install now.

It took it nearly an hour to move past that first prep screen.  I'd still like to what would have happened had I ignored the warning not to shut the computer down.

Corrine

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

pastywhitegurl

That was helpful, thanks.     Nice to know that on an update mess up that a system restore would fix most things.

Corrine

Indeed, System Restore is extremely valuable.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.