Windows Subsystem for Linux Generally Available Windows 10 & 11 In MS Store

Started by Corrine, November 22, 2022, 11:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corrine

From The Windows Subsystem for Linux in the Microsoft Store is now generally available on Windows 10 and 11:

QuoteToday the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) in the Microsoft Store is dropping its "Preview" label and becomes generally available with our latest release! We are also making the Store version of WSL the default for new users who run wsl --install and easily upgradeable by running wsl --update for existing users. Using the Store version of WSL allows you to get updates to WSL much faster compared to when it was a Windows component.

In response to the WSL community's requests, WSL in the Store will now also be available on Windows 10 in addition to Windows 11. So, Windows 10 users will also be able to enjoy all of the latest features for WSL including systemd and Linux GUI app support!

See the referenced article for information about what is new in the Store version of WSL and much more helpful information.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

pastywhitegurl

This is intriguing.   I wonder if it would be an option for me when Windows 10 is no longer supported?  (My machine is incompatible with Windows 11)  It is a refurbed machine I've had for about 7 years--bios is 2008, but is performing well.  I know I have another couple of years before I would be forced into it, so not making any hasty decisions just yet.

I almost moved to Linux (from XP) then, but decided to buy another computer instead, because it seemed daunting to learn Linux.    Now I'm faced with the same dilemma.  Move to linux, or get a newer computer.

I'd be interested to hear experiences of Linux users that use the Windows Subsystem, and if it really does mimic windows operationally.  And the update process for Linux.  Not sure what that involves.